Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Time to kill the Penny? Great YouTube Video Attached.

53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
This is a repeat of a poll I made a couple years ago. Enjoy the video if you haven't seen it before!

FYI: In 2011 the poll was 78% in favor to kill it vs. 22% to keep it. Wondering if board memebers feel differently now.

This comical video is persuasive! Check it out!

Time to kill?
HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Comments

• Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    At a time when you can't buy anything for a nickle or even a dime? The cent's demise was due a long time ago.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    Yes, but the real question is... How long would it take for the penny to disappear from circulation once it has been nixed? image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted, "it's long past time"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Everybody does not LOVE lincoln! image I vote yes.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, the time was around 1994.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    please add a new option

*Don't care about keeping or losing the lincoln cent, but vote this video as totally hilarious and ironic

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea why the penny has even existed for the last 25 years...
    GET RID OF IT!! image
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best video I've seen since Hitler couldn't get his 25th Anniv. AGE set.

• Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    PS. Very very very well done video!
  • Options
    I agree they make some good points but as a copper guy long live the cent
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Makes cents to me image
    Ed
  • Options
    1) go back to 95% copper like the original coins.
    2) distribute just like the Kennedy half dollars are now.
    3) make a mintage of only 100,000.
    4) limit to 5 per household.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    Kill the dime, nickel, and penny. The quarter is the new penny.
  • Options
    Great video. "More representative of their true value, like plastic, - or lint." image
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭
    dump the paper dollar and, well ... never mind. Been discussed before.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    humorous video.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    Good video. I like how it has over 5000 likes and only 528 viewsimage
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the best youtube videos ever. Thanks.

I love copper cents but I agree it is long past time we killed it.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Yes, Kill the cent! Its worthless and costs as much to produce as its worth. Who needs 10B MORE of these things each year?!? And while you are at it, get rid of the nickel and dime, too. Then stop printing dollar bills and get the dollar coins into circulation.
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Past time to go!
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, Kill the cent! Its worthless and costs as much to produce as its worth. Who needs 10B MORE of these things each year?!? And while you are at it, get rid of the nickel and dime, too. Then stop printing dollar bills and get the dollar coins into circulation. >>

Nothing but inertia and and the lack of a self-serving rabid interest group pushing it keep this bugetary absurdity alive.

If Congress can't kill off low-hanging fruit like this to deal with the deficit, what hope is there for the hard stuff?? image
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    yes, kill the penny. but not 'till I finish pulling the pre-82 coppers out of circulation. image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Views went from 500 to over 6000 in the last hour. Hopefully this video will take off. I'll ask if they can do one for the paper dollar.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options

<< <i>Good video. I like how it has over 5000 likes and only 528 viewsimage >>

oh, maybe I am reading the stats wrong again
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Sure, kill the Penny, but keep the cent please image

Seriously, that video has a good argument and it is well presented. As a collector I started with the Lincoln Cent and I hate to see the "Collector" side of the cent go away but as a consumer... I say it needs to go.

As with the end result of this argument every time, we should drop it out of the stores and keep it for collectors... Seems like this would satisfy both sides.

Ray
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good video. I like how it has over 5000 likes and only 528 viewsimage >>

oh, maybe I am reading the stats wrong again >>

no your not its says over 6k now must be a lot of people viewing this today.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I voted, "it's long past time" >>

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is telling that no one here has said "So, you don't want your pennies? Send them to me!" Nope, I don't want them. Not the circulation issues, anyway.

If the Congress ever eliminates the cent, they should keep a limited issue for mint and proof sets in bronze.

I found it interesting that the half-cent in 1857 had the buying power of a dime today.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    We live in a country where the government gives away our money to people that have have never put one red cent into the system and some worry about the cost of minting the cent. People we have far worse problems that the expense of minting an American icon. Leave the cent along, go after the abusers of the system.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted to kill it but I think we should keep it and the nickel as testaments to bribery and political corruption. The cent as a tribute to modern corruption and the nickel as tribute to the history of political corruption. I thought it was hilarious that you could bribe politicians to use a metal for coinage that was hard enough to actually break the minting equipment. What a country!!!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al Gore makes money the enviroment gets polluted and nobody cares about anything except the status quo.

If you ever see a loaf of bread for sale at $4,998.99 you can be sure that the penny is a significant part of the reason. Buy, hey, at least you'll get a penny back.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    Ditch the penny and the nickel, or ditch the penny and make the nickel out of aluminum.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    It's almost as useless as the 6 cent check I received yesterday from a class action lawsuit I didn't even know I was a part of.
  • Options
    I'm guessing there's some cigar chomping bad guys that own zinc mines that are slipping congressmen $100,000 checks left and right. "Be a real shame if something happened to the penny, see!"

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    We should have killed the cent about 30 years ago. We also need to kill the nickel, as well.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes its been over due for a while now. so hasent the paper one dollar bill but lets see when we get to that
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>dump the paper dollar and, well ... never mind. Been discussed before. >>

At this point, $10 and below should be coins!

Ditch the cent!
    Make it the size of the three cent silver if we have to keep it.

Bring back the half dime and get rid of the nickel!
    Yes the face would be the same, but the amount of metal would be smaller.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>dump the paper dollar and, well ... never mind. Been discussed before. >>

At this point, $10 and below should be coins! >>

$5's and up should be paper, but we definitely need to ditch the $1 and $2 paper.

They could keep making them for collectors though. Imagine making $1 and $2 bills with serial numbers made to order.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great video. "More representative of their true value, like plastic, - or lint." image >>

...if they do away with them, what the heck will i put in my loafers image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if they do away with them, what the heck will i put in my loafers?

Isn't the question, should they stop making more? there are over 100 billion pennies, and no one will ever EVER destroy them all.

I think you'll be able to find a pair for your shoes, and I think people would (will) still use pennies for change in transactions for a long long time after they stop making new ones.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...pennies aren't hard to find. penny loafers are. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Why not just make cents for collectors in mint sets
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Great video.

Two comments:

1. I totally agree with the Coinstar comment. I've never quite understood the laziness of some people.

2. All found change goes into a jar for my 2 yo granddaughter. In 2 1/2 years there's over $40. That will siqnificantly my granddaughters future "found change" earnings. image

Dan
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, just severely wound it.

restrict mintages to mint sets and proof sets.

no rolls.

Oh Gawd the Flippers would go WiLd!
  • Options

<< <i>Why not just make cents for collectors in mint sets >>

That's a cake-and-eat it too solution that makes too much sense, it would never work! image

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kill the penny ? It's time to ban global warming.
  • Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    I vote NO. Lincoln cents are one of the most widely collected series of all time -- partly due to the fact that they are are a regular-issue circulating coin that people are familiar with. Non-regularly circulating issues like Kennedy halves and Sacagawea/Presidential dollars have a collector base too, but since those denominations aren't as readily available to the average person, it's much more of a niche market (lower demand and lower liquidity). I imagine the same thing would eventually happen if the Lincoln cent were withdrawn for circulation -- which would be BAD for dealers and collectors alike. Are you sure that's what you want?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I vote NO. Lincoln cents are one of the most widely collected series of all time -- partly due to the fact that they are are a regular-issue circulating coin that people are familiar with. Non-regularly circulating issues like Kennedy halves and Sacagawea/Presidential dollars have a collector base too, but since those denominations aren't as readily available to the average person, it's much more of a niche market (lower demand and lower liquidity). I imagine the same thing would eventually happen if the Lincoln cent were withdrawn for circulation -- which would be BAD for dealers and collectors alike. Are you sure that's what you want?
    image >>

we can't make circulating coinage decisions based solely upon the collector's desires.

are you going to suggest that the half cent should have continued to be made so collector's wouldn't be hurt???

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recycle plastic and learn how to stretch pennies.

(I could come up with one liners all day)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file