Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

St James Auction Premium: 20%

Yikes!
People probably aready know this but that is pretty severe....
Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, it's crazy. Aureo auctions by using the-saleroom.com live bidding software is 18% (BP) + 3% (the-saleroom premium).
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aureo auctions using MrEureka is only a little bit more, and of much more value! image

St. James' gets the nice coins. In this environment where all the good coins go to auction, you've got to pay to play.
  • Options

<< <i>Aureo auctions using MrEureka is only a little bit more, and of much more value! image

St. James' gets the nice coins. In this environment where all the good coins go to auction, you've got to pay to play. >>

Last time I tried to coordinate with MrEureka was for the September Baldwin's auction. He never replied to my PM, so I took it to mean that this was not something he was interested in doing. I would much rather pay someone I know over a 3rd party live bidding website.
  • Options
    MrEureka is a good guy. He's just got a lot of irons in the fire. Personally, I think he spends more time in the air than in the auction room, but I'll let him comment.
  • Options

<< <i>MrEureka is a good guy. He's just got a lot of irons in the fire. Personally, I think he spends more time in the air than in the auction room, but I'll let him comment. >>

I like and respect Andy and wouldn't hold that against him, knowing how crazy his schedule must be.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>MrEureka is a good guy. He's just got a lot of irons in the fire. Personally, I think he spends more time in the air than in the auction room, but I'll let him comment. >>

I like and respect Andy and wouldn't hold that against him, knowing how crazy his schedule must be. >>

He is definitely a COINHOUND!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I tried to coordinate with MrEureka was for the September Baldwin's auction. He never replied to my PM, so I took it to mean that this was not something he was interested in doing.

Oops, sorry! FWIW, I would never not respond because I'm not interested. I would, however, not respond because I forgot.

Also FWIW, e-mail is a better way to go than PM's, because there's no way to organize read but unreplied PM's. I'm sure I read the e-mail -maybe at 3AM in Copenhagen after a late night out - and meant to reply the next day. But by the next day, the message was out of sight and out of mind. That rarely happens with e-mail. Not that this excuses anything. It's just reality.

And BTW, I had a blast in Barcelona and Aureo over the past few days!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    You Yanks are concerned that the premium is 20%? Spare a thought for us on the other side of the pond, who, as EU residents, have to pay VAT on the premium (currently 20%) for a total of 24% premium. Non-EU residents aren't liable to VAT if they can prove the item was shipped outside the EU. Still, at least it makes the sums easier. Total cost of purchase means just increasing the hammer price by a quarter.
  • Options

<< <i>You Yanks are concerned that the premium is 20%? Spare a thought for us on the other side of the pond, who, as EU residents, have to pay VAT on the premium (currently 20%) for a total of 24% premium. Non-EU residents aren't liable to VAT if they can prove the item was shipped outside the EU. Still, at least it makes the sums easier. Total cost of purchase means just increasing the hammer price by a quarter. >>

I feel your pain. Canadian customs will slap me with another 20% HST on importing the coins, as well image

And Andy, no worries - I figured you were swamped. I'll drop you an email next time.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TwoKopeiki
    did you really mean 20%?maybe you meant 12%??

I have yet to see any duty on any canadian coin, or any coin for that matter.
    GST, which is 5% or HST(which includes GST and provincial sales taxes) yes, and that apprently varies from one province to another... beats me why!!!!!! same country..
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

<< <i>TwoKopeiki
    did you really mean 20%?maybe you meant 12%??

I have yet to see any duty on any canadian coin, or any coin for that matter.
    GST, which is 5% or HST(which includes GST and provincial sales taxes) yes, and that apprently varies from one province to another... beats me why!!!!!! same country.. >>

Doing some more math based on my last few Heritage wins, i think you're right - it's more around 12-15%. I don't think I ever had a major auction house win that didn't get slapped with a tax, though.
  • Options

<< <i>And BTW, I had a blast in Barcelona and Aureo over the past few days! >>

So of course you know the next question....

What did you win???!!! Enquiring minds want to know! image
  • Options

<< <i>I feel your pain. Canadian customs will slap me with another 20% HST on importing the coins, as well image >>

So unless you are in a hurry to receive them, you could always have them sent to a reliable, honest guy in the States (like myself image ) and he will carry them across the border on his next trip.

Customs rarely looks at entering business travelers (Immigration is another story, however).