Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wil anyone grade these and "overlook" surface dents?

I have quite a few vintage cards (in the 68-75 range) that are absolutely gorgeous except for either a very slight surface bubble or a dent. These, as are usual, only show up under light when the card is angled. Rather than sell them raw "as-is", I was wondering if either of the others (Beckett, SGC) go easier on this sort of defect, as the cards present really well and I'd like to make what I can off them without simply hiding the issue and hoping a buyer won't catch it.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I really don't want to deceive anyone or do anything shady, but if one of the TPGs goes easier on such defects I'm comfortable taking their results and selling based on them.
----------------------
Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    My experience is that they are instantly knocked down to a 6
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>My experience is that they are instantly knocked down to a 6 >>

I know PSA does, but what about the others?
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I know PSA does, but what about the others? >>

I am sure if you find some 3rd world country grading service these will come back gem mint 10, but any service that actually would be honorable and have good resale value is gonna ding the hell out of those.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a '72 Clemente that is Mint to Gem Mint that I pulled from a pack. It has a pretty significant surface bubble as its only flaw. It received an unqualified 8 grade.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>I have a '72 Clemente that is Mint to Gem Mint that I pulled from a pack. It has a pretty significant surface bubble as its only flaw. It received an unqualified 8 grade. >>

Well, since PSA definitely NOT a third-world grading company, maybe I'm being a bit too harsh in my pre-grading.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options
    I had a 76 topps walter payton rookie once with a surface bubble - submitted it to psa and got an unqualified 8 as well.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious if a surface wrinkle can take a Gem Mint card down to a PSA 5 why is a surface bubble any better?

I have had several cards come back a PSA 5 because of a wrinkle that it took forever just to find which is not a true cosmetic flaw. A surface bubble to me would appear obvious and detract from the true eye appeal.

• Options

<< <i>I had a 76 topps walter payton rookie once with a surface bubble - submitted it to psa and got an unqualified 8 as well. >>

Good to know as well.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I know PSA does, but what about the others? >>

I am sure if you find some 3rd world country grading service these will come back gem mint 10, but any service that actually would be honorable and have good resale value is gonna ding the hell out of those. >>

Not looking for 10's, just want minor bubbles and dents to be treated as gently as fisheyes and rough edges seem to be.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------