Home PSA Set Registry Forum

24 hours left on Greg Bussineau's Online Auction! Great place to find cards to fill sets!

Less than 24 hours left on Greg's online auction. From 1898 baseball to present day, hockey, football, basketball, there are some real gems and some real bargains to be had here!Auction Link
Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.

Comments

• FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Yes there are some gems but I am hard pressed to find that bargain you are talking about. And don't forget the 20% buyers premium to that bargain. And you have to pay insurance on your buyers premium. Ouch.
  • look a little harder look.... here's one example alone... lot of 224 (222 different) 1968 PSA graded cards, including PSA 8 Seaver rookie, PSA 9 Perry, total SMR value over $4200, current bid price, only $1650. That doesn't sound like a bargain to you? Even with 20% commission it's only $1980, less than HALF of book value.
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.

• << <i>look a little harder look.... here's one example alone... lot of 224 (222 different) 1968 PSA graded cards, including PSA 8 Seaver rookie, PSA 9 Perry, total SMR value over $4200, current bid price, only $1650. That doesn't sound like a bargain to you? Even with 20% commission it's only $1980, less than HALF of book value. >>

Since when is Tom Seavers Rookie in 1968?

• my apologies for being human and making a mistake; that inaccuracy doesn't negate my original statement.
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I know I don't buy at book value. SMR is way off and we all know. Both up and down. I have to say, I looked at the football section and did not a deal in there. There might be a deal somewhere in baseball but I don't think so.
  • The 68 Topps Baseball lot is (or was?) at half SMR for good reason. It is one of the highest populated sets graded by PSA pre-1975. Very easy to get PSA 8's for bargain prices. You can get most PSA 9's for bargain prices as well. When I say bargains, I mean less than half SMR. So to say the 68 lot is currently a bargain, I'd have to "agree to disagree" image I collected the set in graded form a while back, then retired the set and later sold it as the populations just continued to go through the roof. I figured I had to cut my losses image Definitely glad I sold it when I did. If I had waited until now, I'd have taken a substantially greater loss than I did.

• Agreed. I saw some prices that weren't bad but with the juice they were right where they should be.
    Buying 1957 Baseball PSA 8 or higher. Especially Checklists, and Contest Cards. Topps1957psa8set@aol.com
  • Whoever bought the 66 set that was ranked #4 got a bargain. I know $35K plus the hammer is a lot of money, but NOWHERE near what that set is worth. When will people learn that they always leave money on the table when they consign high grade sets to auction houses? I've got that set at around $65-67K VCP.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Whoever bought the 66 set that was ranked #4 got a bargain. I know $35K plus the hammer is a lot of money, but NOWHERE near what that set is worth. When will people learn that they always leave money on the table when they consign high grade sets to auction houses? I've got that set at around $65-67K VCP.

Being a 66er myself I know the consigner pretty well. He is one of the nicest people you could ever meet. He had been out of the collecting mode for years and emailed me about a few cards. I was a little surprised when he consigned there. In my opinion I felt that the complete set went for a bargain as well as did many of the 10's he consigned. The McCovey and Williams 10's went for shamefully low prices.

That set is a red haired step child to many, but with Mr. Spence in the mix prices are not that cheap as a rule.

I agree the 20% vig is up there up the Mafia. Even if the consignor is getting in juice free on the front end, the greed of the auction houses (not just this one) kills the consignor.

FM
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Whoever bought the 66 set that was ranked #4 got a bargain. I know $35K plus the hammer is a lot of money, but NOWHERE near what that set is worth. When will people learn that they always leave money on the table when they consign high grade sets to auction houses? I've got that set at around $65-67K VCP. >>

Looks like the set hammered at $42.6, so call it $51K with the juice. If you're planning on breaking it and reselling it you're up to another 12% for Ebay fees (assuming that's where they go), which means you're likely going to profit around 5-7K when it's all said and done. However, it could take two years before everything's cleared out and you're completely out from under the set. 42K is a good price, but I wouldn't call it a 'bargain.

There were some cards, though, like the PSA 9 Three Stooges, that did hammer for a song.

• The set sold for $35K, with the 20% it was just over $42K. Even with Ebay fees there is plenty of money left on the table.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
    Lot #604 sold for $42.6K.

link
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Lot #604 sold for $42.6K.

link >>

Dave is right - the $42.6K includes the buyer's premium.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

<< <i>

<< <i>Lot #604 sold for $42.6K.

link >>

Dave is right - the $42.6K includes the buyer's premium. >>

A-ha. Right you are.

Yes, in that case I do agree that $35K was a great price.
  • I think some/most/all of the auction houses add the buyers premium to final price to make the bottom line look more attractive to potential consigners
    ~WalterSobchak