Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers All-Time Registry Player List

I'm very surprised there isn't an All-Time Steelers registry thread. I do have a few questions for those that are doing the set. Why do we have James Harrison and Casey Hampton as part of the All-Time great set? I believe both are very good players, but to me they haven't hit the All-Time status yet. Why isn't Louis Lipps in the set? He's 3rd all-time in receptions in Steelers history and won the Offensive ROY in 1984. He was a huge part of the Steeler success in the mid 80's to early 90's. I truly believe Lipps should be part of the All-Time Set.
"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

Comments

• recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    You can request Lipps' addition to the set and it will be put to a vote.

Here's a link on how the players you mentioned stack up:

Steelers All-Pros and Pro Bowlers
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. I did request Lipps to be added to the set.
  • Good luck. A couple of years ago I requested Eric Martin to be added to the All-Time Saints list. He was/is the all-time leader for the franchise in receptions, receiving yards and yards from scrimmage. Seems like a no-brainer. But, the people that collect all of the All-Time sets didn't want to buy another card, so they voted it down. You'll need to convince the non-Steelers fans of Lipps' worth, since they are probably the majority.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
    Can someone explain to me why Casey Hampton's 2001 Bowman Chrome refractor was the card of choice? This card is impossible to find graded or raw. I would think that you would put a card into a set that is some what easy to obtain in raw. I don't understand how everyone in the Steelers registry voted this card in.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I think something to think about when voting to add cards to this set....

Many of the collectors of these All-Time Team sets collect multiple teams/sets. It isn't just Steeler fans or Saints fan. So what happens is that these teams and the player addition requirements tend to be similar. And because, for example, the Saints who do not have a rich history of having great players...Eric Martin is the all-time receptions leader, and maybe when judged against ONLY Saints players is considered one of the greatest SAINTS WR of all-time...But when compared to other All-Time greta team WR's, he pales in comparison. Luis Lipps has a similar problem (although I think he was better than Martin).

I guess maybe it would help you to understand the selection if you viewed these sets as All-Time Great Players (who happened to play for the Steelers) rather than guys who were great for that team, but if you put their careers on a more storied franchise, like say the Packers, they could never ever even get CLOSE to making that team set.

As far as card selection goes, PSA has said in the past they would not use parallel or insert cards (such as refractors) in these Key Card sets. If Hampton has a base issue Bowman Chrome, then that should be the correct card vs. the refractor.

But typical card selection in the past was based on the most valuable rather than the most plentiful. But these rules are far from set in stone, and it seems that PSA will change their mind on the whim of any random collector these days, which is one of the reason I quit collecting all of these sets.

Wish you best of luck, just wanted to give you a different point of view based on my past experience on these sets.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Jason is second to none around here when it comes to knowledge of football history and of the registry but I have to make a quick counter-point to his post.

There is a registry set of HOF Steelers and you can find it here. You can also create a registry set for All-Pro Steelers or Pro Bowl Steelers and there will be no debate whatsoever on the composition of those sets.

But the All-Time Steelers set absolutely should include players that are fan favorites and whose presence in the franchise was impactful for any reason, regardless of awards and HOF metrics. In fact, the All-Time team sets are arguably the ONLY place in the registry where the collector-fans of a team can come together and create a fanastically inclusive registry set that reflects a team's most meaningful players TO THE FANBASE, without having the burden of comparing to other players in other franchises.

The other sets can be robotic, let's keep the All-Time team sets fun!
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    I believe the casey Hampton Bowman refractor is the only card made. There is no Bowman Chrome base card. This is similar to the 2001 Topps Chrome set, the RCs in the set are all refractors, there are no plain chrome base cards for RCs.
    Jason.... Very good insight in the selection process, but I do believe Louis Lipps was better then just a marginal player. I think Lipps if he had a quarterback that could throw him the ball (Malone and Brister) his numbers would be better then what they are, which are pretty damn good.

Hallmark.... I agree with you on the all-time set it should be based on what the "FAN" feels should be part of the set.

Tom..... The 2001 Topps / Bowman are all refractors like you said and numbered to 1999. I guess that's the only choice we have for the Casey Hampton card. (BTW very tough card to find raw or graded)

BTW I hope all you vote for Louis Lipps to be added to the All-Time Steeler set

Lipps is 3rd all-time in Steelers history in reception only behind Stalloworth and Ward.
    3rd in rec yardage
    5th in TD receptions
    6th in ALL TD's scored

Those are pretty impressive numbers for a player who only played 8 years in Pittsburgh.

<< <i>Jason is second to none around here when it comes to knowledge of football history and of the registry but I have to make a quick counter-point to his post.

There is a registry set of HOF Steelers and you can find it here. You can also create a registry set for All-Pro Steelers or Pro Bowl Steelers and there will be no debate whatsoever on the composition of those sets.

But the All-Time Steelers set absolutely should include players that are fan favorites and whose presence in the franchise was impactful for any reason, regardless of awards and HOF metrics. In fact, the All-Time team sets are arguably the ONLY place in the registry where the collector-fans of a team can come together and create a fanastically inclusive registry set that reflects a team's most meaningful players TO THE FANBASE, without having the burden of comparing to other players in other franchises.

The other sets can be robotic, let's keep the All-Time team sets fun! >>

I don't disagree, I was just telling you how the voting has gone in the past. If you can get a majority of the set collectors of the All-Time Steelers set to actually be Steeler fans you might be able to swing the momentum in the direction of inclusiveness. And likely expand the number of cards in the set by a wide margin by lowering the standards for addition. But looking over the set, I still see a majority of those collecting it also collect many of the other All-Time Team sets, which will lend itself to collectors voting via an overall standard for all teams rather than a Steeler-centric outlook.

It can be done, there are Packers, Cowboys and Bears sets out there in which fans of those particular franchises banded together to do exactly as you have explained here.

You can always request anyone you want of course, but requesting and actually getting the votes for addition are two different animals entirely.

Good luck with it fellas!
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    maybe this will help or wont. since a group of packer fans saw a need for some players to be included in an all time set but couldnt get the votes we started our own set. for example there were some of us that felt Ryan Longwell should be in the set as he holds the all time scoring record for one of the oldest NFL teams. many of the other collectors of the All Time Set didnt see it that way, which is fine. i do love the fact that even to this day the All Time Packers set has remained one of the most exclusive All Time Team sets out there, pretty much limited to HOFers or borderline HOFers. so we looked for a way to include key Packers that dont quite make HOF status in a new set.

but there are some catches to our set. first the set is based off of the Packers Hall of Fame. the short history is that this is the first team specific hall of fame that was started. it has a panel that votes the players into the HOF just like the Pro Football HOF. in many ways this helped us get this set on the list as the players that are selected do not have to be voted on by all the set collectors. the other catch is what cards we will consider for the set. since we are fans of the Packers we wanted to focus on cards that show the players as Packers, for example we didnt want the Reggie White USFL or 1986 Topps card in the set.

so when the set was presented to PSA we set forth the following. if a player is drafted by the Packers, we would want his Rookie card based on PSA guidelines and vote. for the most part this takes out regional issues, however we do have some regional issues in the set. mainly because we consider the regional issues that we have taken to be sets that most Packer Fans/collectors would go after collecting. if a player started his playing career elsewhere, aka Reggie White, we would want a the first card that shows him in a Packer uniform. again this is up to vote, but in general we have picked the card from the most recognized set from that year. For Reggie White it would be his 1993 SP card, not lets say his 1993 Fleer card. we came to this to set it apart from the All Time Packers Set and to focus it more for Packer Fans/Collectors to enjoy.

when we started putting this set together we emailed a few other Packer Collectors that we knew on the boards. some said they liked it and other said they wouldnt be interested. what is funny is that now after a few years some of those that said they wouldnt be interested have started sets. how actively they are collecting the set i am not sure. but again, the way we have it set up most Packer Collectors would probably already have those cards or are looking for them anyway.

i hope this helps you out.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    jradke4 makes a great point and what he proposes certainly is an option.

The set he mentions however has been live for over 4 years. No one has completed it, and with only 10 registered sets with what looks to be 7 collectors at least somewhat pursuing the set (over 50%). My point being, this is not a competitive type set. It's a place to list your cards, but really about it. Nothing wrong with that of course, just a matter of taste and preference. Just like the preference of inclusive or exclusive which seems to be the main topic of this thread.

The All-Time Packers set, which would be considered a "mainstream" set comparable to the current All-Time Steelers set is comprised of 28 current collectors. 21 of which are over 50%, and 3 are at 100% completion in 6 years. You can also throw in 4 other collectors who completed the set, and then later retired it (me being one of those). So if your goal is to assist in increasing the value of your cards via supply/demand of the collectors of this set, then your best option would be to request the cards you want added and see what happens. This is the general purpose of why the Registry id on existence and has been so successful. The inclusive sets tend to end up as Set Checklists rather than competitive chasers. If your card requests do not get added, in most cases, the other collectors are doing you a favor by voting the card down.

All about choice though and what you are looking for.

• FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>jradke4 makes a great point and what he proposes certainly is an option.

The set he mentions however has been live for over 4 years. No one has completed it, and with only 10 registered sets with what looks to be 7 collectors at least somewhat pursuing the set (over 50%). My point being, this is not a competitive type set. It's a place to list your cards, but really about it. Nothing wrong with that of course, just a matter of taste and preference. Just like the preference of inclusive or exclusive which seems to be the main topic of this thread.

The All-Time Packers set, which would be considered a "mainstream" set comparable to the current All-Time Steelers set is comprised of 28 current collectors. 21 of which are over 50%, and 3 are at 100% completion in 6 years. You can also throw in 4 other collectors who completed the set, and then later retired it (me being one of those). So if your goal is to assist in increasing the value of your cards via supply/demand of the collectors of this set, then your best option would be to request the cards you want added and see what happens. This is the general purpose of why the Registry id on existence and has been so successful. The inclusive sets tend to end up as Set Checklists rather than competitive chasers. If your card requests do not get added, in most cases, the other collectors are doing you a favor by voting the card down.

All about choice though and what you are looking for. >>

There are two of us at 100% but not posted at this time due to a certain collector bidding us up on other auctions and also submitting his pop report at the absolute last minute to just beat us.
    So, we have two at 100% and our set does not show our full current sets either. It is a shame we have to do this because I want to scan and show my whole Packer set but others are out there to be #1 at any cost and will bid me up to be there. Sad.

<< <i>There are two of us at 100% but not posted at this time due to a certain collector bidding us up on other auctions and also submitting his pop report at the absolute last minute to just beat us.
    So, we have two at 100% and our set does not show our full current sets either. It is a shame we have to do this because I want to scan and show my whole Packer set but others are out there to be #1 at any cost and will bid me up to be there. Sad. >>

Well, to be honest, that is what the Registry was created to be, a competition. So I would counter that to say congrats on putting together what has turned into a competitive set. Supply and demand drives value, so it sounds like you increased the value of your collection. LOL

Jason
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I voted for Lipps.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

<< <i>I voted for Lipps. >>

That's awesome anyone else vote for Lipps? To me Lipps should be part of the all-time set
    Did anyone else vote for Louis Lipps to be added? I guess it was a tie and I'm hoping someone who didn't vote will vote Lipps into the set.
  • I just voted yes.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • I would agree that Lipps deserves to be in this set. He played 108 games which shows longevity with the team and based on stats he trumps Swann, whom I believe to be overrated anyway.

<< <i>I would agree that Lipps deserves to be in this set. He played 108 games which shows longevity with the team and based on stats he trumps Swann, whom I believe to be overrated anyway. >>

What are Lipps playoff credentials? And if 108 games equals longevity, you need to look at about 40 other Steelers additions to the set.

Jason

<< <i> What are Lipps playoff credentials? And if 108 games equals longevity, you need to look at about 40 other Steelers additions to the set. >>

Lipps played only 4 playoff games in his career. He had 14 receptions for 184 yards and 2 TD's. The Steelers were 2-2 in those 4 playoff games. The Steelers were going through a transitional time during Lipps's playing days. The team and coach were aging and they didn't have very good quarterback play. He had guys by the name of Malone, Campbell, Woodley and Brister throwing him the ball. Lipps played 8 years in Pittsburgh and was by far their best receiver. He led the team in receiving 6 of the 8 seasons and the other two were by John Stallworth. So we penalize Lipps for being a pretty damn good receiver on pretty bad Steelers teams? The Steelers best record during Lipps career was 9-7. If the Steelers won a Super Bowl during that time, we wouldn't have this decision, it would be why isn't he in this set.

I guess the way we view pro football players is measured by the team's success as well as how well the individual played in big games. If Lipps played on a team like Miami, Denver, Cleveland or even San Francisco he would be an all-time great for that team?

Btw who are the other 40 Steelers that belong? The only one the stands out for me that should be in the all-time set is Dwight White.

<< <i>

<< <i> What are Lipps playoff credentials? And if 108 games equals longevity, you need to look at about 40 other Steelers additions to the set. >>

Lipps played only 4 playoff games in his career. He had 14 receptions for 184 yards and 2 TD's. The Steelers were 2-2 in those 4 playoff games. The Steelers were going through a transitional time during Lipps's playing days. The team and coach were aging and they didn't have very good quarterback play. He had guys by the name of Malone, Campbell, Woodley and Brister throwing him the ball. Lipps played 8 years in Pittsburgh and was by far their best receiver. He led the team in receiving 6 of the 8 seasons and the other two were by John Stallworth. So we penalize Lipps for being a pretty damn good receiver on pretty bad Steelers teams? The Steelers best record during Lipps career was 9-7. If the Steelers won a Super Bowl during that time, we wouldn't have this decision, it would be why isn't he in this set.

I guess the way we view pro football players is measured by the team's success as well as how well the individual played in big games. If Lipps played on a team like Miami, Denver, Cleveland or even San Francisco he would be an all-time great for that team?

Btw who are the other 40 Steelers that belong? The only one the stands out for me that should be in the all-time set is Dwight White. >>

I didn't say 40 others belonged. I said if 108 is a benchmark for addition to the set, then there is a big list of players who played in more games for the Steelers..And they are:

Mike Webster 220 C
    Hines Ward 218 WR
    Donnie Shell 201 DB
    Mel Blount 200 DB
    Dermontti Dawson 184 C
    Deshea Townsend 183 DB
    Ray Mansfield 182 C
    Joe Greene 181 DT
    David Little 179 LB
    Jon Kolb 177 T
    Tunch Ilkin 176 T
    Ernie Stautner 173 DT
    L.C. Greenwood 170 DE
    Andy Russell 168 LB
    Sam Davis 168 G
    Terry Bradshaw 167 QB
    Larry Brown 167 T
    Franco Harris 165 RB
    John Stallworth 165 WR
    Bryan Hinkle 163 LB
    Jack Ham 162 LB
    Alan Faneca 158 G
    Jason Gildon 158 LB
    Casey Hampton 157 NT
    Dwayne Woodruff 157 DB
    James Farrior 155 LB
    Aaron Smith 154 DE
    Carnell Lake 154 DB
    John Jackson 153 T
    Robin Cole 150 LB
    Loren Toews 149 LB
    Jack Lambert 146 LB
    Gary Dunn 146 NT
    Jerome Bettis 145 RB
    Levon Kirkland 144 LB
    Ike Taylor 142 DB
    Larry Foote 142 LB
    Dick Hoak 135 RB
    Rod Woodson 133 DB
    Justin Strzelczyk 133 T
    Greg Lloyd 131 LB
    Craig Wolfley 129 G
    Dwight White 126 DE
    Keith Willis 126 DE
    Ray Pinney 125 T
    Mark Bruener 125 TE
    Troy Polamalu 124 DB
    Gerry Mullins 124 G
    Dwight Stone 124 WR
    Joey Porter 122 LB
    Ben McGee 120 DE
    Gerald Williams 120 NT
    Jerame Tuman 120 TE
    Mike Wagner 119 DB
    James Harrison 118 LB
    George Tarasovic 118 DE
    Bennie Cunningham 118 TE
    Randy Grossman 118 TE
    J.T. Thomas 116 DB
    Kevin Henry 116 DE
    Ben Roethlisberger 115 QB
    Lynn Swann 115 WR
    Joel Steed 115 NT
    Kordell Stewart 114 QB
    Chris Hoke 114 NT
    Dan Kreider 113 FB
    Marvel Smith 112 T
    Lee Flowers 112 DB
    Brett Keisel 111 DE
    Joe Krupa 110 DT
    Darren Perry 110 DB
    Heath Miller 109 TE
    Merril Hoge 109 RB

Deshea Townsend and Ray Mansfield played in over 70 MORE games in a Steelers uniform. They also have the same number of Pro Bowl and All-Pro selections at their primary positions as Lipps does..Which is ZERO...Both Lipps Pro Bowl selections were as a Punt Returner...He was a huge part of the Steelers success of the mid 90's to 90's..Which turns out to be not so good. He was a good player, I don;t disagree. But to put him in a set with TRUE greats of the franchise would be a shame. But if you are going for watered down, why not add guys like:

Jerry Shipkey
    Dale Dodrill
    Tunch Ilkin
    Ray Mansfield
    Jason Gildon

Every one of these guys were just as important to the Steelers when they played and in every case has a better resume and played in more career games. Or is it just about adding every borderline offensive skill player at the behest of leaving out more dominant O Lineman and defensive players?

Jason

<< <i>But to put him in a set with TRUE greats of the franchise would be a shame. >>

<< <i>Both Lipps Pro Bowl selections were as a Punt Returner >>

Are you sure Lipps went as a Punt Return both times?

I believe each Conference selects 4 receivers.
    1984: WR: Mark Duper, Mark Clayton, Steve Largent, John Stallworth and Louis Lipps Lipps went as a punt returner

1985: WR: Wes Chandler, Mark Clayton, Steve Largent, Louis Lipps and Iriving Fryar (I believe Fryar went as the PR)
    Lipps Rec 59, 1134 Yds and 12 TD's
    Fryar Rec 39, 690 and 7 TD's

Lipps was named twice as the team's MVP 1985 and 1989. He's an all-time great in Steeler history. Like I said earlier if he played with a Dan Marino, John Elway, Joe Montana or Dan Fouts he would be an all-time great with that team. The All-Time great set's should be for the fans of that team and I agree with you it shouldn't be watered down. So by adding Lipps to the set adds another great Steeler from the past and it's not a shame that he gets added to the set.

<< <i>

<< <i>But to put him in a set with TRUE greats of the franchise would be a shame. >>

<< <i>Both Lipps Pro Bowl selections were as a Punt Returner >>

Are you sure Lipps went as a Punt Return both times?

I believe each Conference selects 4 receivers.
    1984: WR: Mark Duper, Mark Clayton, Steve Largent, John Stallworth and Louis Lipps Lipps went as a punt returner

1985: WR: Wes Chandler, Mark Clayton, Steve Largent, Louis Lipps and Iriving Fryar (I believe Fryar went as the PR)
    Lipps Rec 59, 1134 Yds and 12 TD's
    Fryar Rec 39, 690 and 7 TD's

Lipps was named twice as the team's MVP 1985 and 1989. He's an all-time great in Steeler history. Like I said earlier if he played with a Dan Marino, John Elway, Joe Montana or Dan Fouts he would be an all-time great with that team. The All-Time great set's should be for the fans of that team and I agree with you it shouldn't be watered down. So by adding Lipps to the set adds another great Steeler from the past and it's not a shame that he gets added to the set. >>

Except that by leaving the other similar impact players off the list, the set becomes illogical. How does Lipps belong, yet these other all-time greats in Steeler history NOT belong? If he belongs, don;t these other players? And if not, what is your argument that shows how or why Lipps should be added but not them?
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Jason, why do you care? Your not even collecting this set? You run around the football threads like your the authority on all things football. I could see having this strong of an opinion if you were involved with the set, but your not, which leads me to believe you just get off on being combative.

<< <i>Jason, why do you care? Your not even collecting this set? You run around the football threads like your the authority on all things football. I could see having this strong of an opinion if you were involved with the set, but your not, which leads me to believe you just get off on being combative. >>

My apologies for caring about the future of the Registry, as well as the Key card sets. I've created or help create many of the sets currently listed, to include the HOF Rookie Players set which currently has over 100 collectors. I've been involved in the process and worked with Cosetta, BJ and Gayle since the Registry was born. While I no longer have a dog in this fight, I'm still an active member of the message board, and I comment on subjects that I.... 1- have knowledge on, and 2- hold near and dear to my heart.

I have helped MANY collectors on this board finding cards they need, assisted with functional issues concerning the Registry as well as subjective issues. If that makes you feel inferior to me as you view me as the "authority on all things football", well that's a personal issue for you. I'm not here to coddle you or make you feel warm and fuzzy. I speak what I know and not here to just backpat and attaboy. Sometimes truth hurts, sometimes an alternate opinion to your own offends. Not my problem. You don't like it? Get over it. I honestly could care less.

Hope this answers your question,
    Jason

<< <i>Except that by leaving the other similar impact players off the list, the set becomes illogical. How does Lipps belong, yet these other all-time greats in Steeler history NOT belong? If he belongs, don;t these other players? And if not, what is your argument that shows how or why Lipps should be added but not them? >>

<< <i>My apologies for caring about the future of the Registry, as well as the Key card sets. I've created or help create many of the sets currently listed, to include the HOF Rookie Players set which currently has over 100 collectors. I've been involved in the process and worked with Cosetta, BJ and Gayle since the Registry was born. While I no longer have a dog in this fight, I'm still an active member of the message board, and I comment on subjects that I.... 1- have knowledge on, and 2- hold near and dear to my heart. >>

I'm only looking to add Lipps. If others want to add other players to get voted in then so be it. My quest is only Lipps at this time. Why do you continue to bring up other players when Lipps is the only player under discussion? Apparently you think Lipps was a marginal player at best. I disagree with you on this one. Here are Lipps's credentials if you didn't know:

In the 78 year history of the Steeler franchise Lipps is 3rd all-time in receptions only behind HOF John Stallworth & future HOF Hines Ward. He's also ahead of HOF Lynn Swann. He's 5th All-time in touchdowns. He won offensive ROY in 1984, Pro Bowls and 2nd team All-Pro in 84 & 85. He was the team MVP in 85 & 89. He was the team's leading receiver 6 of 8 years he played in Pittsburgh. If that's not good enough then I guess everyone has to be a Jerry Rice type player. I'm not saying Lipps is a HOFer; far from it, but he was a great player for the Steelers. Isn't that what this set is about-- putting the team's best players in the set?

You said you helped create a lot of these sets. Did you help create the Steelers' set? If so, then how is Rocky Bleier part of the set? Lipps was by far a better player/talent then Bleier ever was. Bleier had (1) 1000 yard season and is ranked 8th All-time in rushing. He was a decent player on great teams. Carnell Lake a very good defensive back but only 4 pro-bowls and 1-AP. Where's the consistency? You're going to penalize Lipps for playing on bad Steeler teams? I guess you need more then two PB's to make these sets?

I get what you're saying about these sets getting watered down with players that don't merit the honor. I agree that some of the current players shouldn't be part of the set until they are winding down their careers and we have a better sense of whether or not they're All-Time greats. For example, Casey Hampton and James Harrison; I don't consider them in that class yet.

I love your passion, but at the end of the day I don't care if you think Lipps belongs or not. I still adamantly insist that he belongs-- and I can tell you Steeler Nation would agree with me too. It was fun debating with you on this topic. Now we wait and see if Lipps gets enough votes to make the set.

<< <i>I'm only looking to add Lipps. If others want to add other players to get voted in then so be it. My quest is only Lipps at this time. Why do you continue to bring up other players when Lipps is the only player under discussion? Apparently you think Lipps was a marginal player at best. I disagree with you on this one. Here are Lipps's credentials if you didn't know:

In the 78 year history of the Steeler franchise Lipps is 3rd all-time in receptions only behind HOF John Stallworth & future HOF Hines Ward. He's also ahead of HOF Lynn Swann. He's 5th All-time in touchdowns. He won offensive ROY in 1984, Pro Bowls and 2nd team All-Pro in 84 & 85. He was the team MVP in 85 & 89. He was the team's leading receiver 6 of 8 years he played in Pittsburgh. If that's not good enough then I guess everyone has to be a Jerry Rice type player. I'm not saying Lipps is a HOFer; far from it, but he was a great player for the Steelers. Isn't that what this set is about-- putting the team's best players in the set?

You said you helped create a lot of these sets. Did you help create the Steelers' set? If so, then how is Rocky Bleier part of the set? Lipps was by far a better player/talent then Bleier ever was. Bleier had (1) 1000 yard season and is ranked 8th All-time in rushing. He was a decent player on great teams. Carnell Lake a very good defensive back but only 4 pro-bowls and 1-AP. Where's the consistency? You're going to penalize Lipps for playing on bad Steeler teams? I guess you need more then two PB's to make these sets?

I get what you're saying about these sets getting watered down with players that don't merit the honor. I agree that some of the current players shouldn't be part of the set until they are winding down their careers and we have a better sense of whether or not they're All-Time greats. For example, Casey Hampton and James Harrison; I don't consider them in that class yet.

I love your passion, but at the end of the day I don't care if you think Lipps belongs or not. I still adamantly insist that he belongs-- and I can tell you Steeler Nation would agree with me too. It was fun debating with you on this topic. Now we wait and see if Lipps gets enough votes to make the set.

>>

No, I did not creat the Steelers set, and agree with you on Bleier...

I also don't care if you think Lipps belongs...We've both made our points and counter-points. Apparently Steeler Nation wasn't "all in" on Lipps, because #1, it's take upwards of 9 years for him to make the set, and that's IF he gets the votes. You posted on Thursday there was a TIE between ADD and DO NOT ADD...So I guess he wasn't the slam dunk you are calling him. I guess the collectors of this set the previous 9 years were oblivious to the "greatness" and "worthiness" of Louis Lipps...lol

Lastly, the reason I bring up other players is to show you that picking and choosing one (Lipps) over other similar credentialed players with the franchise opens the door to debates that the others that you aren't requesting ALSO belong. The argument will be, "Well, if Lipps belongs, and Bleier and Lake and Harrison..Then obviously Jason Gildon and Dale Dodrill belong"...Eventually, you will have numerous borderline players in the set you collect. If that's ok with you so be it. I hated it when I collected the set, and I ended up no longer collecting it. I think you can see my retired Steelers set still listed if I am not mistaken.

The old adage, 2 wrongs don't make a right surely applies. but hey, whatever flota your boat. If you can pander enough votes to add him, more power to ya! I hope we can discuss this again in 4-5 years and see how the set and the group of collectors chasing it's completion look then vs. now.

Enjoy!
    Jason
    Not everyone collecting the Steeler set is a true Steelers fan. By polling Steeler fans outside of collecting world would put Lipps in their all-time set. If he gets in I'll be happy and if he doesn't not hair off my chest. I enjoyed the conversation about a great 80's receiver who I grew up watching

<< <i>Not everyone collecting the Steeler set is a true Steelers fan. By polling Steeler fans outside of collecting world would put Lipps in their all-time set. If he gets in I'll be happy and if he doesn't not hair off my chest. I enjoyed the conversation about a great 80's receiver who I grew up watching >>

So only true Steelers fans from Pittsburgh can understand the true greatness of Louis Lipps? Ok...lol

I enjoyed it as well...You want to hear something that may surprise you?

I was a Steelers fan growing up. Favorite player was John Stallworth until he retired and then was Louis Lipps. I have a Bradshaw auto Jersey, and "Steel Curtain" auto full size helmet and a John Stallworth auto mini helmet of part of my collection. Of the game film i have collected over the years (well over 500 complete games from the 70's alone), the most I have is of the Steelers BY FAR...If you;d like we could get together and have a phone conversation, throw some names out of random 70s/80s Steelers and discuss them on the spot without the help of Google.

I'm not saying this to infer i know more than you or anyone else here. I'm just saying that I am WELL versed in Steelers history. My opinion wasn't one of a non Steeler fan inside of the collecting world only.

Fair enough?

<< <i>So only true Steelers fans from Pittsburgh can understand the true greatness of Louis Lipps? Ok...lol >>

<< <i>I was a Steelers fan growing up. Favorite player was John Stallworth until he retired and then was Louis Lipps >>

I could have phrased my statement a little better. The Steelers had awful teams in the mid to late 80's and the Steelers were not on a lot of national televised games. As you know the media outlets in the 80's are not what they are today. (There was no Directv Sunday ticket, Internet, NFL network and ESPN wasn't the giant that they're today. He didn't get a lot of exposure during that time nationally. I think he's one of those players that I feel has been over looked. I think if you did poll of Pittsburgh fans he would be an all-time great, but maybe not nationally.

BTW you and I liked the same players growing up. I was a huge Stallworth fan as I wore his jersey number as a freshman in HS and of course became a Lipps fan once Stallworth retired. I've been a Steeler fan since birth, it would be fun going back and forth naming players from that era. BTW here's a pic of me and my daughter kicking off the 2011 season.

I'm sure we'll chat soon.

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

I miss those big square numbers
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page