Home Precious Metals
Options

World's central banks act to ease market strains

Avid collector of GSA's.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, this was the big market mover. Interestingly enough China lowered their cash reserves earlier in the very same day! The futures were down -0.7% and jumped to +0.5% on that news alone. Add the global injection news and the markets jump almost another 2%. Yes there is a very big problem out there. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was just reading the cnnmoney version of this. Time to drain the savings for metal?? How close are we really to the Big collapse? It's got to happen eventually.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the bandaid falls off a few US banks will have their festering, open wounds exposed.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so wheres the next fire going to be?
  • Options

<< <i>so wheres the next fire going to be? >>

Short-term we are back to stress levels in the USD swap funding market from only a week ago. But on a longer-term basis, this is still extreme by any standards.

Fire ain't out!

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    No more ammunition left. You can only print so much digitial money.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Just remember, the Fed and other central banks will do whatever is best for the JP Morgue/Goldman Sack/BoA. If you keep that in mind when making investment decisions you won't go far wrong.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears that the way to solve a debt problem is to create new money in order to finance the rollover.

Nothing new here. It all ends up as pressure for new taxes here in the US, of that you can be sure.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Just remember, the Fed and other central banks will do whatever is best for the JP Morgue/Goldman Sack/BoA. If you keep that in mind when making investment decisions you won't go far wrong. >>

If we add Morgan Stanley to that list, is it time to change asset class to Miners? Juniors and Seniors?
  • Options
    Forbes is reporting that the near failure of a major european bank overnight (unnamed) is what brought the quick action.

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    This stuff in the news is starting to look a lot like a BS sammich without the bread but so far I haven't heard anyone talking about notional derivitives...that's when I know we're getting deep down into the BS bidness. Notional value
  • Options

<< <i>Forbes is reporting that the near failure of a major european bank overnight (unnamed) is what brought the quick action. >>

probably Deutche Bank. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The future is here.

I think we're still on life support and living day-to-day.

The talking heads on CNBC seemed to think sunny days from here to the end of the year.

I'm thinking "not so fast" and "crushing realization will hit soon" that we are still day by day fighting this enormous battle.

Don't forget, after Europe is US, and Italy's debt is small time action compared to the US.

We can't even agree on what austerity would be. Italy, Ireland, Portugal and Greece seemingly have it more together than our Democrats and Republicans.

I'm not celebrating until the problems are actually SOLVED and OVER WITH.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Don't be fooled, the printing presses are in reality nothing more than dollar destruction devices.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Its obvious now that the Central Banks will not let one of the major Banks fail. A Lehman type event will never happen or become public because it would start a world wide run on the banks. It would be unstoppable and throwing all the money that could be printed will not help. The gig will be up. We are on shakey ground now.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Forbes is reporting that the near failure of a major european bank overnight (unnamed) is what brought the quick action. >>

probably Deutche Bank. MJ >>

I've always been told the Germans have their act together and their economic engine and productivity is 2nd to none. And if they used Marks the currency would be off to da moon!!! image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

probably Deutche Bank. MJ >>

I've always been told the Germans have their act together and their economic engine and productivity is 2nd to none. And if they used Marks the currency would be off to da moon!!! image >>

Pretty true. Problem is they are too big. Also, too big to fail. This is the bank I think Jim Rodgers has been short all this time. No doubt the Mark would be the fittest of all currencies. MJ
  • Options
    DB has assets equal to 50% of German GDP. If it failed, I highly doubt the Mark would hold its value. It could be worse though, the 2 big Swiss banks are each more than 3x greater than the Swiss economy. And the fools rushed to buy the Swissie Franc.

• Options
    Pumping up liquidity doesn't seem deflationary to me.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ~Chinese gold jewelry consumption may double in less than 10 years compared with last year's consumption of 452 tons thanks to an increasingly affluent population , the managing director for the Far East at the World Gold Council said Thursday~

Dow Jones' News. I have no opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>Pumping up liquidity doesn't seem deflationary to me. >>

Its only inflationary if it is pumped faster than debt is destroyed. A tall task for an central bank.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pumping up liquidity doesn't seem deflationary to me. >>

Its only inflationary if it is pumped faster than debt is destroyed. A tall task for an central bank. >>

we all seem to be better at creating debt more than destroying debt.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>we all seem to be better at creating debt more than destroying debt. >>

Not all of us.

• Options

<< <i>DB has assets equal to 50% of German GDP. If it failed, I highly doubt the Mark would hold its value. It could be worse though, the 2 big Swiss banks are each more than 3x greater than the Swiss economy. And the fools rushed to buy the Swissie Franc. >>

Actually I think it would increase the value of both currencies. Back stops would have to be provided as they are way to big to fail. Therefore they can not really fail. History teaches us this from when some US banks did fail in 2008. They will not let the biggest banks fail only the ones they want to. The dollar got stronger when the US banking system was pushed to the brink. Buying the Swiss Franc and holding it has been money in the bank.

Germany is the second largest exporter in the world only slightly behind China. The Mark would not be allowed to fail if it were a singular currency. Like the dollar it would be propped up at all costs.

MJ
  • Options
    Its only inflationary if it is pumped faster than debt is destroyed. A tall task for an central bank.

That's exactly the point. There's a whole lot of debt to replace with money, and they are committed to doing it. It's the only way to make their buddies whole, and it's the only way that they know.

It's their game. We're just the "little people". Believing that we have a say in the matter is like thinking that a politician actually has a conversation with a constituent.

I knew it would happen.