Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Quarter sets from Mint - what's the difference (if any)?

OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Mint's website is offering the following:

2011 America the Beautiful Quarters Circulating Coin Set™ (N91) at $9.95

-- and --

2011 America the Beautiful Quarters Uncirculated Coin Set™ (N93) at $21.95.

Is there any difference between the two sets, aside from the packaging? $12 seems like a lot for upgraded packaging.

Last year's Uncirculated set was "Satin Finish", but that option has been discontinued for 2011. I don't have either of the 2011 sets, but from the Mint's description I'm guessing that both sets now contain the same circulation strike coins. Does anyone know for sure?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The power of packaging and fleecing the consumers who HAVE TO HAVE everything the mint puts out (I was one of them some years back in the early days of the SHQ sets)

Reading the USMint description, both sets contain the same coins (5 unc from Denver and 5 unc from Philadelphia). The N91 has packaging that is "easy to remove the coins from for albums, etc" while the N93 has packaging that stands out for the coins and not easy to remove coins from (ie...have to be destructive)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By now, some collectors should have both sets in hand. Has anyone checked to see if there is any difference between the sets, regarding the finish of the coins?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one's been asked before.

Here's the scoop.

the uncirculating coins are mint set quality. as we know even those in the mint sets have some marks on them. that's true here.

the circulating ones are low quality hole fillers. these are of the quality that if you were roll searching and came across these, you'd pass on them immediately. However, just as in roll searching.... maybe you get lucky once in a blue moon.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This one's been asked before.

Here's the scoop.

the uncirculating coins are mint set quality. as we know even those in the mint sets have some marks on them. that's true here.

the circulating ones are low quality hole fillers. these are of the quality that if you were roll searching and came across these, you'd pass on them immediately. However, just as in roll searching.... maybe you get lucky once in a blue moon. >>

In other words we're right back to where we were before 2005; if you want gem quality there
    is little choice but to look at some mint sets?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    It's been a few years since I've kept up with what the Mint has been offering. But back in the day, I seem to recall that "Uncirculated" meant that the coin was stamped with new dies (sort of like a "first strike") under higher than normal pressure. You didn't get the double press a proof coin gets, but the new die and high pressure at least meant the design should have been fully struck on the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file