Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My Polish-made Vermeer of the Cook Islands

28.28 grams of sterling silver from the Mint of Poland, with a pearl added. link Sometimes called the Dutch Mona Lisa, I consider this my most eye-catching moderns purchase in years, beating out Canada's lenticulars but not, perhaps, the Japanese dinosaur coin of my avatar.
Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
(Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)

Comments

• Options
    I looked at this yesterday and found myself coming back to it again tonight. I have come to the conclusion that I like it.

Nice piece.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options

<< <i>I looked at this yesterday and found myself coming back to it again tonight. >>

I know what you mean. I haven't yet been able to put it in my cabinet. I bought another one in the series, the Niue Island 2008 Toulouse-Lautrec, late last week.

I sometimes wish that this piece was about 3-4x larger - the size of a thin paperback book, which would I guess would translate into about sixteen ounces of silver, mounted or embedded in an acrylic frame. Then I'd have a wonderful display for the living room mantlepiece, one people could see clearly from the couch and talk about, like people decorate their houses with posters of museum exhibits.
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of like it.

I've always like square and rectangular coins. Colorized coins are a bit harder for me to get used to, but hey, it's the 21st century now, so why not.

The Cook Islands contracted out some interesting stuff. I had one of those dollars with the capsule in the middle that had little colored gemstones inside, sort of like an old-fashioned kaleidoscope.

(Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought it was cool, either- it was stolen from my antique mall case.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>The Cook Islands contracted out some interesting stuff. I had one of those dollars with the capsule in the middle that had little colored gemstones inside, sort of like an old-fashioned kaleidoscope.
    (Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought it was cool, either- it was stolen from my antique mall case.) image >>

Like these?
    PA link

Sure looks cool to me. Was it Au or Ag that got swiped?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that's the one. It was the silver.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.