Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Are there world coin dealers at the Orlando FUN shows?

I was wondering if there is a list of dealers for the Orlando FUN show this January. I'm currently debating whether to try for the NYINC or the FUN show, and the thought of traveling to NY city for the first time is a bit overwhelming. I've found info on the NYINC, but the FUN show website isn't listing much on who will be set up there.

If I'm looking for world coins/jetons/etc., do you think that the trip to Orlando would be worth the drive, or should I just go for the more obvious choice of the NYINC?

Comments

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭
    Our own contributor - Josh aka Civitas - sets up at FUN. I've heard that other darkside dealers also set up there.

But for serious darkside stuff, NYINC is the place to be. I'll be there on Friday Jan 6th.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I finally decided on which one i'm attending.... NYINC!!!

We'll do a roll call in a few weeks - would be cool to get together and grab a bite to eat with folks from the forums.
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    There is an entire section dedicated to world coin dealers at FUN.image
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NYINC is expensive to do, so there are a lot of expensive coins there. It is small and intimate. And there are dealers from all over the world, something you probably won't find at FUN. Not to mention at least 10 world coin auctions--at least one every day for over a week! Even the Kolbe & Fanning book auction happens at NYINC.

But FUN is a fun show and I have enjoyed both.

• This really is going to be a hard choice. I've wanted to see the NYINC show for a couple of years now, but it does look like it will be an expensive trip. I guess both shows would be, I'd be traveling from NC either way.

Lots to consider.... It's too bad they don't do these shows on alternate weeks, and over Christmas vacation.

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Lots to consider.... It's too bad they don't do these shows on alternate weeks, and over Christmas vacation.

Consider it will be 30-40 degrees warmer at FUNimage
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kindergarten vs. University IMO. If you are serious NYINC, if you want the beach / well, better weather go FUN.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll spend the week at the NYINC, except for a day trip to FUN. I figure I should be able to do the FUN show and auction in a day. After all, how big could they be?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • 3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lots to consider.... It's too bad they don't do these shows on alternate weeks, and over Christmas vacation.

Consider it will be 30-40 degrees warmer at FUNimage >>

They were once a week a part and I have heard that they will return to that format. There will be foreign at FUN anyway and it will be much warmer and cheaperimage
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Well, having lived here in NC for almost 30 years, I've seen enough of the beach and felt plenty of warm winters. We went to Orlando over New Years few years back, and it was so warm that the kids spent the afternoons in the pool. I can see the allure, but a nice snowy day can be a pleasant change for this "southerner".image

I'm wondering what my best bet would be to find some new jetons, but I think I already have an idea where that will be. Now to convince the Mrs. that it's a good idea.image
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last two times I was at FUN (admittedly probably ~10 years ago), it was darn cold--maybe in the 30's at night. I was unprepared for it having not brought my winter coat. So if you choose based on climate, beware.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    NYINC is the place to be for world coins. There will be plenty of world stuff at FUN but if you want to see the very best it will bi in NY.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Jetons are a key collecting interest, I think you will see more interesting examples at the NYINT

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• << <i>If Jetons are a key collecting interest, I think you will see more interesting examples at the NYINT >>

That's what I was thinking, too. From the list of dealers posted on the NYINC site, I think I'll have a great chance to find something.

Well, count me in, I'm booked and ready to make my first trip to the big city!image

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get ready to become filthy broke!
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Lots of world coin dealers at FUN and lots of other dealers with some world material. Well worth the trip every time I have gone.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Also expect to run into some darksiders while you are there.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I set up at FUN in the budget section. My take on the choice between NY and Fun is this. All the big hitters will be in NY. There will be very little chance to make that special pick or buy a good deal. Lots of opportunity abounds at the FUN show. Most traveling world dealers I have met and talk with at fun are well satified with the amount of material available.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But if you want that really rare piece or to make and/or continue great connections, particularly with European dealers, the decision is a slam dunk for NYINC.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But if you want that really rare piece or to make and/or continue great connections, particularly with European dealers, the decision is a slam dunk for NYINC. >>

You might be surprised how many European Dealers attend the FUN show. Many of them attend both FUN and NY. I agree about finding that rare piece though.