Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

So guess what my 9 year old asked to add to his Christmas list...

Just what every 9 year old wants-- A goat. I was puzzled. A goat. No Mom, a GOAT. I looked puzzled. Cue rolling 9 year old eyes. You know, old money.

AHA!

My son wants a GROAT for Christmas (!???!) (He still has trouble with pronouncing 'r' sometimes).

I am intriuged. I collect many things but the coins of Great Britain have so far not been a big passion and certainly I'm sure I have not used the word groat anywhere near my offspring. Curious, I asked him if he knew what a groat was. He then rattled off, in order, everything from a half penny to a crown. Again !!?!?!!!.

Turns out one of the books he's reading is using the old GB coinage system...

So, where do I find a groat suitable for a 9 year old?

Cathy

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old of a groat do you want?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The age of one that doesn't cost a lot of money image.

Not in too nice condition, but one he can tell what it is.

Silly offspring. I don't know where he gets it from.

These are a few years old now:

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    how funny that I near simultaniously posted my "confused about brit denoms"... it has groats on the primary site image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, think about something totally cool and go Henry VIII or Elizabeth I. BTW the groats were minted as late as the late 19th century but by then mostly for the colonies.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    Get him two, one hammered and one milled. That will expand his knowledge even further. The latter will only cost a few tens of pounds with the former two or three times as much for a presentable example. I'd certainly go for a later hammered groat such as Henry VIII or Elizabeth I though as the price increases the earlier back in time you go. $5K for an Edward I might be a bit too much for a 9 year old! An alternative might be a Maundy 4d, but not easy to find in low grade until you go back prior to 1800.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oi, does it have to be a groat groat or can I get away with 'any old' 4P?

And is there a James groat? I'm woefully ignorant about these! I think I bought a Spinks once...if I can find it, it's for sale...

Cathy

• Options
    James II 4p coins, yes.

James I, not sure, I know there are halfgroats.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Cathy, change your son's name to Henry, a lot of groats from them. image

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>Oi, does it have to be a groat groat or can I get away with 'any old' 4P?

And is there a James groat? I'm woefully ignorant about these! I think I bought a Spinks once...if I can find it, it's for sale...

Cathy >>

There are no James I groats at all, not even patterns, but James II has them for 1686, 1687 & 1688. They are quite popular and relatively scarce as a type because of the short issue period. I can't think of any pattern groats with the word groat in the legend, so you would have to make do with a 4 or IIII or FOUR or 4 linked Cs if you want to have the denomination showing. That would make a Charles I provincial mint from the Civil War (1642-6) the earliest possible candidate. An Aberystwyth coin would be the cheapest of these and are often available in a good grade for £200-300, so not a second mortgage job. From Charles II onwards, prices drop dramatically to tens of pounds.