Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is SGC well regarded today?

I'm considering a whale card for me in an SGC slab. To date I've only purchased PSA holdered cards. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Best,

Matt

Comments

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    yes, they are # 2 for me
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First class. Equal in grading capabilities. Their cards generally sell for a little less than PSA except for a few issues.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    pretty sure this data is accurate..they handle around 10% of the slabbed card market....
    well regarded for pre WWII ... prices trail PSA...but still well regarded...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    lol you need to get out more image

For PreWar and extremely high end rare cards, they are the best grading company out there, by far!

Far less bonehead errors in IDing cards than the grading company you say you use
    not to mention a far better slab in both protection and eye appeal

is this a serious question, its not even April yet ???

PS.
    I wouldnt say they trail PSA in prices realized

these 4 big T206 cards are worth a fraction of a % of what they would be worth in a SGC slab .....for some strange reason image

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Appreciate the quick feedback; glad to hear they have a solid brand. I had heard they were legit in pre-war, but I am only into post-war star cards, unopened material, and a few PSA Registry sets, so have had little exposure to them.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    They used to be solid in the past. Not sure about today. Their cards appear to be accurately graded. Sell for a fraction of what PSA does, unless the card is really rare, or a star card. That is my two cents on SGC - to each his own.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Hmmmmmm I wonder why PSA sells for more on some cards???

I'll leave this alone now.. sometimes I forget who owns this message board image
    no need to break out the 3 dozen+ other major goofs I have images of.....
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Their grading standards on postwar cards seem to be a little
    less stringent than PSA in my experience. They don't have
    the dreaded MINSIZEREQ nor have I seen any MISCUT grades
    from SGC.

I sent them a Koufax RC that PSA said was trimmed and they
    sent it back to me as an 80! I have a 1962 Gibson that they
    spanned as a 92 and PSA would not cross it over due to
    MINSIZEREQ. Many more examples I could cite. In general
    I think they're equally inconsistent as PSA can be.

In terms of prices realized, they tend to lag PSA cards on postwar
    cards. Lastly, every listing for an SGC card I see on eBay always
    has "= PSA n" (the equivalent) included while no PSA listing
    compares itself to SGC. I think that speaks volumes regardless
    of all else.

My advice is if you really like the card you see in the SGC
    holder (postwar cards) and think it meets the grade then
    go for it, crack it out and submit it to PSA hoping for the
    best.

Dave
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I'll show you tomorrow. The ultimate crack out gamble.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    70toppsfan...

It doesn't mean that all old slabs show their grading system and no grade (86 92 etc), and make no reference to a numerical grade. hence their 86 nm being a strong 7 and 84 nm being a 7....

I just sold some sgc cards to a guy and had to explain each one to him because he said he thought an 80 was an 8...
  • Options

SGC is excellent.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

<< <i>70toppsfan...

It doesn't mean that all old slabs show their grading system and no grade (86 92 etc), and make no reference to a numerical grade. hence their 86 nm being a strong 7 and 84 nm being a 7....

I just sold some sgc cards to a guy and had to explain each one to him because he said he thought an 80 was an 8... >>

When created it was meant that way to get a collector to think he was getting a superior card but in all truths it wasn't.
    It was created long before the internet and shortly after Alan Hager created the slab and 1 to 10 grading scale.
    The 1 to 100 and black insert were to avoid royalty's to Hagar but that didn't work in the courts.
    Not a fan of the black insert as it always seems its pinching the card?? Hate the label but they are a great company.
    Slow but good...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    SGC 60.

-Chaz.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll show you tomorrow. The ultimate crack out gamble. >>

Looking forward to this...Lemmings R Us(LOL).
  • Options
    Seems to me PSA commands a better price, I know I pay more. There will always be mistakes when grading in vast quantities, they are huge. I agree SGC seems more consistent in grading, but most of my cards are PSA. Been to quite a few shows recently and I think the telling factor was the quantity of people submitting at PSA booth compared to those submitting at SGC. Not knocking SGC, but PSA is king and I think alot of it has to with the registry, powerful drug.
  • Options

<< <i>70toppsfan...

I just sold some sgc cards to a guy and had to explain each one to him because he said he thought an 80 was an 8... >>

My post was not about their numerical grading system. The point
    was that the vast majority of postwar SGC listings have comparisons
    to PSA because the SGC "brand" is just not perceived to be at the same
    level as PSA.

Whereas PSA is perceived as the "Coke" of grading, SGC is more of
    the "Pepsi" (but with less of a market share in postwar cards).

SGC is probably on par with PSA but perception is reality, and in this case
    (postwar) SGC is looked at as the #2 player.

Dave
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have the guts to crack this out and send to PSA for the same grade? Card's a monster.

Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone have the guts to crack this out and send to PSA for the same grade? Card's a monster.

image >>

oh........my
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    PWCC has some current SGC/BVG cards up for auction that are monsters as well. If they were in PSA slabs, I am sure they would bring more than what they are bringing now!
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used SGC in the past and will not use them going forward. Had a bad experience with a submission and that did it for me. I don't trust them anymore.

I use PSA and Beckett depending on the card.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone have the guts to crack this out and send to PSA for the same grade? Card's a monster.

image >>

If you submit it for a cross-over and say min grade 9 my experience is that you'll get it back in the same SGC
    slab. If you crack it out and just send it in it could easily come back as a 9 (if not even a 10).

Perhaps PSA is doing what they can to perpetuate their "superior" perception in the marketplace?

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>IMO, until sellers don't feel the need to mention PSA in the title of their SGC auctions SGC will continue to trail PSA and be regarded as a "wannabe." >>

That's exactly the point! The "...this is the same as a PSA n...." mentality that already exists in the market makes it difficult to put SGC on an equal footing
    with PSA, regardless of the quality of the grading they do.

Dave
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    SGC IS GOOD BY ME!!!
    I have used them in thae past and believe they are just as equal as PSA in standards however PSA uses more advertising and such to lure submitters their way.I never have had a problem with SGC.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

>>

If you submit it for a cross-over and say min grade 9 my experience is that you'll get it back in the same SGC
    slab. If you crack it out and just send it in it could easily come back as a 9 (if not even a 10).

Perhaps PSA is doing what they can to perpetuate their "superior" perception in the marketplace? >>

I'd be shocked if that card got a 9 again. It's an awesome card but that stain above the Denehy photo alone should be enough to knock it down to an 8 or 7. Having said that, I see SGC and PSA cards that get high grades with a stain on them. Not sure if it's an oversight or if they don't consider that to be a major flaw...I do.

Regarding PSA vs SGC, it all comes down to preference. Can't object to the comments previously made. If you're looking to maximize value and are talking about post-war, then trying to cross it to PSA is your best bet. I've done that on several cards but it's really tough to get PSA to cross them over in the SGC holders. It takes some stones to crack a $200 PSA 9 card and submit to PSA.
  • Options
    Either ones fine with me. PSA has the registry. PSA slabs suck. SGC has nice eye appeal depending on the card. BGS for modern autos.
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Competition in the marketplace is a very good thing.

SGC is very well regarded.

PSA had the first "registry". It was done very well from the start.

That gave PSA the huge lead in "product" over their competition that they still enjoy today.