Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Superlative 1839 Halfcrown

Wow, check out this PCGS 1839 CURRENCY!! Halfcrown, ex-Gledinnings (~2000) auction:
PCGS Cert 18522635
Somebody linkify an enlargement.
Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Uuummmmmmmmmmm, big enough? image

I have to go finish assembling a 400# tool chest. Someone else want to reduce this monster? image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Evidently somebody in Merry Olde has just found a circulated 1839 A3 Vicky 2/6 - that would be a score if not too worn. Not sure how a deeded edge circulated proof would look different than a currency version in like state.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Here you go.

That's not such an ugly coin, is it?
  • Options
    According to Spink in mint state/uncirculated condition this is the number one currency silver coin of Victoria, and possibly including all copper and gold as well. I think the 1850 shilling and 1854 florin are right up there as well, not to mention a truly uncirculated 1841 sovereign.
  • Options

I was looking back and found this old posting. I only wonder what such a coin would go for at a contested auction? Interestingly I think coins such as this are relatively not trending and seems to be focus on the latest SOTD (strike on the day) gold multi-sovereign and proof GB gold of the 19th Century.
    I have always liked the Una and the Lion but believe this to be grossly overvalued and much more available than coins such as this 1839 1/2 crown or the 1850 shilling or 1854 florin. Nice looking coins but they are hiding in the closet relatively speaking. Don't know if they will come out...

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin and likeness of Her Majesty.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options

Yes, I think so as well. In hand spectacular.