Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

third party certifications

I know that PCGS, NGC and anacs are the big ones. Are there any other good ones or ones that we should stay right away from? How about PCI or NACS. Any other bad ones?
Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
http://bit.ly/bxi7py

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know that PCGS, NGC and anacs are the big ones. Are there any other good ones or ones that we should stay right away from? How about PCI or NACS. Any other bad ones? >>

I think it's those 3 and everyone else. I believe ICG is legit for ancients only, I think. that's my 3rd party recollection.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. Would you break out from there holders all but the big three?
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I will buy coins in older ICG and the old ANACS small white slabs, everyone I have bought has crossed at the same or higher grade (up until now that is). If you want to maximise the money they bring they really need to be in PCGS or NGC holders though. Some Canadians like the ICCS graded coins also.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the reply. Would you break out from there holders all but the big three? >>

"depends" I guess... higher the value the less chance I would, but I dont think Id get anything high value in the non-3-tpgs, and others (NTC) never
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never heard of NACS.

Some of the old PCI green labels can be good.

As far as submissions go, I'd stick to the Big Two (PCGS and NGC), or ANACS for lower valued coins. (Was your "NACS" a typo for ANACS?)

I suppose ICG is OK as long as you don't place any premium on their supergraded modern coins.

I think those four are the only ones eBay will recognize these days if you want to claim "certification" in an auction, which tells a lot.

Edit to add: the only exception to these four I can think of is ICCS for Canadian coins, as mentioned. They are often quite conservative and are well trusted, I believe, but they aren't really "slabs" since they don't use the hard plastic capsules.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey guys, please do not forget CCCS in Quebec.
    Louis is make a really good name for himself. He has hard slabs, very attractive hard slabs.
    He is certainly giving ICCS a good run for the money
    it is always good to have competition. Since he started to be known, ICCS has made some changes...their grading has become inconsistant.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life