Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Spanish help question... and has anyone seen this coin? AKA, I may be onto something with that drat

(yes I know, I'm in Spain, but right now I'm not near anyone who is actually Spanish to ask...)

In my intermittent quest to find more information on my favorite Uruguay coin I went back to this site Monedas Uruguay. It has been updated a lot since the last time I looked and now there are some very nice pictures. Still no mention of the so-called unlisted proof/specimen version of this coin but I did notice that the business strike posted looks like a reeded edge.

First off--I was wondering what "canto" and "cordoncillo" mean. I tried babelfish and came up with song and 'small cord'. I'm wondering if that means reeded edge?

Second--does anyone have a normal business strike? I don't have any handy but this one on The Bay of E certainly looks reeded!

Third--For you folks with the proof/specimen examples handy can you tell if that one has the reeding? I checked my pictures, and fiddled with the exposure etc to try and see..I can't find what looks like reeding on the NGC slabbed one. At least not from the pix.

Here is the PCGS coin in it's two auctions:
PCGS specimen auction
and
The second sale of the PCGS coin

Also, can anyone double check the diameter of the proof/specimen? There is a difference between the French vs. Vienna mint versions and perhaps if the Vienna 'unlisted proof' was struck on different (the old?) planchet (???) That idea came to me in a sleep deprived stupor this morning (it was a boy!) along with seeing the reeding on the website (and checking that ebay auction) for the first time.

So here are my sucky photos including a tweaked one:

Cathy

(I am such a nerd...funny how this all congealed when I was all sleep deprived!)

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    My specimen has no reeding that I can see in the holder. It measures 24.5 CM.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Boz! I wonder if that 24.5 vs the 25 mm on the 'official' stats is within variance.

Cathy

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't you give me a circ example of that type, once, Cathy?

Great design. Really stunning in proof!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Boz! I wonder if that 24.5 vs the 25 mm on the 'official' stats is within variance.

Cathy >>

With it being measured in the holder with hand calipers and my eyes, I would give that a Thumbs up!image
  • Options
    LordM I probably did--I had a few for awhile though I don't remember if they were the 1930 or the 1936. I know I gave a way a few and if I have any left they are back home in the long term storage--I had no idea my obsession would blossom while overseas. Nor did I expect 2 years to turn into 4. The medals and coins I didn't bring with me are either in an SDB or an airtight container inside another container with tons of dessicant thrown in. The good stuff is in 'Airtights' as well as the airtight container. For the less 'core' stuff I did some giving away and selling so I wouldn't have to worry about it. When I get home and unpack it will be like the biggest Christmas ever!

Any Spanish speakers out there? Canto and cordoncillo...still curious if that could somehow represent the edge description. I'm going to work today, but there aren't as many 'host nation workers' here that I know like I did in Japan. Plus, once people see 'coin collector' by your name they assume 1. You are FAR nerdlier than you really are imageimageimage and 2. You are rich.

Cathy

• Options
    Yes, "canto" = edge and "cordoncillo" = reeded (milled).

BTW, although i'm sure there are some turist traps selling modern Spanish and Euro coins around Rota and Cádiz, i really advise Sevilla as your hunting ground image ,here's a link listing antiques/collecting fairs in Spain:
    Link

Just beware fakes of large silver crowns (8 reales, "Duros", etc.) and Iberian Roman coins!

Jose
  • Options
    Thanks Jose! I'm hoping to get to Seville soon--many things to see there and if I can sneak into a coin shop all the better.

Cathy

• Options
    Is the reeded/flat edge the only confirmed marker for the ms/pr distinction? Normally with the UNCs you can tell otherwise but I may have come across an impaired proof.
  • Options
    I don't think this is confirmed at all, I was just guessing after seeing better pictures of the coins. Since then I've gotten a couple pictures (and one in hand) of the regular coin in well circulated states and they are indeed reeded--and it is fairly obvious. I have a coin on it's way that is an UNC from ebay and it will be interesting to see how obvious the reeding is in the uncirculated state.

Otherwise the only PF/SP coins seem to be housed in older holders --both PCGS and NGC-- that don't show the edges. I just can't see any evidence of reeding in the ones I have pictures of. I don't 'know' anyone at the NGC/PCGS places to ask how they came up with the designator.

So, NOT confirmed..and so far I still haven't found any type of documentation for a PF/SP...

Is the coin that you have smooth vs. reeded?

Cathy

(ps finally made it to Sevilla and saw the Cathedral. It was a short day trip in the afternoon. I'm happy to say I had my first Starbucks in about 5 months. Sadly no pumpkin spice lattes, green tea frapaccinos or free wifi. Still it was fun, but no coin shopping...that will be another day. Oh, and McDonalds--ugh but dang the french fries were yummy. Still no wifi. Normally we go to slightly better eating places but oh well, my kids wanted cheeseburgers and hot chocolate....)

• Options
    What I stumbled upon appears to be a smooth edge but somewhat circulated example, raw. I have the NGC example still but as you mentioned, older holder, hard to be definitive.