Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

** Fun Way To Show Collection

2»

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm a football card collector so forgive the ignorance. Dale Murphy has rookie cards in '77 and '78?? How does that work? Paul >>

Yup, he was on two multiple player cards in two different years. That's happened for a while. Lou Pinella is on two different Rookie cards from the 60s and I believe Bobby Murcer is as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • I'm a football card collector so forgive the ignorance. Dale Murphy has rookie cards in '77 and '78?? How does that work?

Paul
    Vintage Football Collector and Dolphins fan.
    First Cards ever collected - 1978 Topps Football.
    Working on a collection of the Top Ten FB Cards of each year from 1957-1987.
  • TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Lou Pinella is the funniest of them all. That guy had like 3 or 4 rookie cards. I was going to select Morris over Murphy for the top 30 for 1978, but I am partial to Murphy. Both him and Garvey were two of my favorite National League players when I was getting into baseball as a kid.
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Awesome way to display had a blast reading and peeping the scans. Thanks!
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Such an awesome display. I love raw cards but like to have the HOF's graded where possible. Makes me want to do it now. Dangit, another detour in my collection focus. image

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

• << <i>Lou Pinella is the funniest of them all. That guy had like 3 or 4 rookie cards. I was going to select Morris over Murphy for the top 30 for 1978, but I am partial to Murphy. Both him and Garvey were two of my favorite National League players when I was getting into baseball as a kid. >>

Yeah, I was a Mike Schmidt fan in the 80's (living near Philly), but Dale Murphy was always one of my favorite non-Phillies.
    Vintage Football Collector and Dolphins fan.
    First Cards ever collected - 1978 Topps Football.
    Working on a collection of the Top Ten FB Cards of each year from 1957-1987.
    Schmidt was my brother's favorite non Yankee player. He was truly a pleasure to watch. Spectacular both offensively and defensivley.
    I just added 1979. See the first page. Thanks for looking!
    With all the crazyness in the world today, I find the need to get back to something that brings me a lot of joy. I posted 1980, see page 1. Merry Christmas to everyone! Seeing what is going on around me, I am truly a blessed man! I couldn't wait to pick up my two youngest kids today and give them a hug.
    Just added 1981. Go back to page 1 to see 1959 thru 1981. Thanks for looking!
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Awesome setup, and its great to see the connecting of the cards to what was going on in the world. Excellent work and a great idea.
    Thanks! I just finished my top 30 for 1958 and will be adding that soon. Also, I plan on adding to some of the earlier years and finishing from 82 to 85. The 70's and 80's were my era so I know a little bit more about what was going on during those times.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Your collecting focus seems to be amazing. Thanks for sharing.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
    Congrats on your update. That room where they are displayed must be nice to look at.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • This is fantastic. Got me thinking in how to focus my own collection.
    How do you select what 24 cards to pick up for each year?
    Thanks guys. As far as how I select the 30 from each year, there is no exact science, but here is what I try to do:

1) Select all major superstars e.g. Clemente, Brett, Mantle, Aaron, Mays etc.

2) No combo, all star or leader cards

3) Include the relevant stars of their times even if not a hall of famer. I would include Garvey, Mattingly and Maris in this. They were stars on high profile teams plus there guys I like. I include Dale Murphy in this too just because he was a big time player for at least half the 80's. This is very subjective I know, but that is what makes collecting fun.

4) Mix in the longevity type hall of famers e.g. Niekro, Sutton, Gaylord Perry, Tony Perez etc since if I inlude them all it will take me over 30 for some years. This gets tough because I don't have some of the newer hall of famers included like Rice and Blyleven since I started this before they got in, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

I went with 30 because that is what fits in each case.
    Just added 1982. Thanks for looking! See the first page for the update.
  • Great thread.It is really cool idea the way you collect the best 30 cards each year.image
  • Those are some of the nicest, most presentable 6's and 7's I've ever seen. Collection looks great.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
    Thanks guys. Buying 5, 6 and 7 is the way to go for me. I like my cards to present well, but to show a touch of age. It is cool to think that a generation before me enjoyed them.
    Hi guys, just added 1983. Check out the first page. Been busy with the birth of my 4th child.
    Congrats on the birth of your 4th child.

Thanks for the update. I really enjoy this thread.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Thanks Doug. Going from 3 to 4 is not a huge adjustment, but it was funny my wife found out she was pregnant just after we got our 3rd child potty trained. We didn't get to deal with life without diapers for very long. Wouldn't trade it for anything though! For me, kids keep me young.

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Both epic and inspiring. We have a similar theme, but you're leaps and bounds ahead, as this is what I'd hope my collection can grow into over time. Right now I'm at about 5-15 cards for each Topps year 1952 - 1990, except I'm at 3 for 1952 and 4 for 1953. Also, only rockin' a pair of Mantle's and a handful each of Mays, Aaron and Clemente. I'm also a sucker for combo cards and league leaders if all HOFers. Main goal is to just get a good selection of cards from each year, as well as a good selection of cards from each player. If I could get to 10+ for each year, I'd be thrilled. Congrats on this and I would look forward to seeing your other sports exhibited as well.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
    Just added 1984. See the first page. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
  • WOW! Love it! thanks
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
    Hi Everyone, I have been active with the hobby, but have been busy with work and family. I am looking forward to building upon this thread again. I always enjoy looking at others collection. The first page will show the updates
    Bump. Just added 1985. Go to the 1st page to see 30 tops cards from 1959-1985. Next I will be adding 1958.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TJMAC
    Hi Everyone, I have been active with the hobby, but have been busy with work and family. I am looking forward to building upon this thread again. I always enjoy looking at others collection. The first page will show the updates

Welcome back! I'm enjoying working through the first few sets listed, but this is going to take a while image
    Bump. Just added 1958. Go to the first page, first post.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    This is so much fun reading, I'm actually remembering where I was and what I was doing for most of the years. That's because I'm old.

"Molon Labe"

• This is the best thing ever to happen to this forum. Thank you.
  • dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭
    I am blown away by this post. Really cool. I am looking forward to taking the time to read each synopsis. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
    Thanks guys. Putting this together made me realize even more how great it was to be a kid from the 1950s to 1980s. Technology and the helicopter parent era (I am one of them) has really changed what it is like to be a kid today. I am not really complaining because there are a lot of great things about today, but it was just different back then - in a good way. It was the growth of pop culture; and sports, movies, tv shows and music really defined those times more so then they seem to now. Maybe its just that I am getting nostalgic in my advanced age. image
    1957 has been added to the first page. Enjoy!
    1956 has been added to the first page completing my run from 1956 to 1985. It will be awhile before I complete 1955. I plan to start another thread with the top 18 football cards from 1959 to 1986. I hope you enjoyed viewing this as much as I have putting it together.

I have been on a break for the past few years, but looking to getting back involved again. This was my favorite thread I personally posted on this board. I thought this would be the best way to reintroduce myself and show others my interests which are history, pop culture and PSA star cards from baseball, football, hockey and basketball pre-1989. I still have all the cards in this thread and am working on the top 30 PSA graded from 1986 Topps and 1987-1989 Topps Tiffany. I have a separate football thread which I plan on adding to. Thanks to all those who post. I enjoy seeing what others have.

• DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

Good to see you post again. Always enjoyed looking at this thread.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been on a break for the past few years,

Welcome back buddy!

Glad to read you still have all your cards and am looking forward to you adding to this "and" the FB thread.

Mike
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

One of my favorite threads ever! Welcome back!!!

"Molon Labe"

Thanks guys for the warm welcome back. Looking forward to catching up on posts and contributing again.