Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1989 Upper Deck Factory Sealed Set Rips - How Often Do You Pull a PSA 10 Griffey from the Box?

I have several 1989 Upper Deck factory sealed sets sitting around. I thought about unloading them on Ebay during the holiday push. However, I have always wanted to gamble with the sets, ripping them in the hope of pulling a clean PSA 10 Griffey from each box. Is this a pipe dream or have forum members experienced success pulling Griffeys straight from the box and popping PSA 10s at a later date? Please post your experiences...TY.

Meatloaf

Comments

• It's the first card in the set....I'd say you have a better chance at a PSA 10 with a high number box.
  • Ive pulled 4 Griffeys from packs within the last 3 months and none have appeared to be gem mint.

Id say don't gamble and sell the sets as a whole unopened. Griffeys alone on eBay will sell for about $20-25. I think you'd be able to pull more for a completed set. Once you open it and pull that Griffey, the rest of the cards are next to nothing in value and you'll be stuck with them.

Not only that but as the previous poster wrote, its the 1st card in the set which means it takes a beating more than if it were a card in the middle protected by the other cards packed in tightly.
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    The first card in a factory set is an actual blank card. The Griffey is the second card in the set.

However, I have not busted sets for grading so I hate to just guess.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The first card in a factory set is an actual blank card. The Griffey is the second card in the set. >>

This is not true in all factory sets. The early run of factory set cases did not have the blank cards at the front or back of the set and as a result, the Griffey (#1) and the Checklist (#800) typically have a blue smudge from the friction against the box.

• << <i>The first card in a factory set is an actual blank card. The Griffey is the second card in the set.

However, I have not busted sets for grading so I hate to just guess. >>

Very true, I have found about 10 complete sets in a collection. The griffeys had ultra sharp corners (and the white blank card infront of them), but centering varied.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had good luck with factory sets and the Griffey. With or without cards in front, the card is pressed so tight, I've noticed flaws on all that I've pulled. The only 10 I've received was directly from a pack.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Thank you all for the advice. It appears I just need to sell these things and move on rather than gamble with poor odds. Sounds good to me. Meatloaf

• << <i>I'd say go ahead and gamble ... it's fun after all image >>

Yeah, that is the fun of ripping. If I don't get any good offers on the sets in the near term, then it may be gambling time. Thanks for the advice. Meatloaf
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Would you be happy with a "9"? If so you could probably sell three sets and pick up 2 "9s". If you decide to open the sets and send 'em in ... GOOD LUCK! Let us know how you do.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

• << <i>Would you be happy with a "9"? If so you could probably sell three sets and pick up 2 "9s". If you decide to open the sets and send 'em in ... GOOD LUCK! Let us know how you do. >>

9s are great. I have sent in 10 x 1989 UD KGjr cards and was returned 9 x PSA 8 and 1 x PSA 6. The six was a sick card (sharp corners, centering, etc.), but it appears the hologram damage/loss on the back forced the downgrade. I can never seem to pop greater than a PSA 8 when pulled from packs.

Update: I just sold the sets to a forum member. Thanks for all the advice.

Meatloaf