Home Sports Talk
Options

Rooting for a team with a Soviet Red Army Hockey Mentality?

QUESTION:

What if your favorite sports team had great success, but played with as much emotion as the Soviet Red Army hockey team?

For those of you a little young, it's like playing "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" ice hockey, or any sport for that manner.

Would you find it hard to root for them. Would the casual enthusiast find it hard?

It's hypothetical Saturday.

Greg

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Al Davis said it best. "Just win baby."
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    A winner is a winner.

Honestly it's a lot more fun and fufilling to cheer for a team that wins over a team that loses a lot but has "heart".

This reminds me of little league sports when coaches of losing teams would make a huge deal about how he was teaching discipline, character, humility and all that other stuff. They forgot to teach how to play the sport and win.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A winner is a winner.

Honestly it's a lot more fun and fufilling to cheer for a team that wins over a team that loses a lot but has "heart".

This reminds me of little league sports when coaches of losing teams would make a huge deal about how he was teaching discipline, character, humility and all that other stuff. They forgot to teach how to play the sport and win. >>

Your post hits the nail on the head.

Personally, if I want to be entertained with a side show I will go to the circus. As many of us are sports enthusiasts, my entertainment is watching crisp, professional play where my team dominates by physical and/or psychological means.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game." - Grantland Rice

"Rubbish." - Woody Hayes

I'll go with Woody who also rightly said "Show me a good loser....and I'll show you a LOSER."
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Winning solves everything
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game." - Grantland Rice

"Rubbish." - Woody Hayes

I'll go with Woody who also rightly said "Show me a good loser....and I'll show you a LOSER." >>

TOP WOODY HAYES QUOTE:

After OSU got picked off in 1969, they clobvered UM in 1970. With no need to go for a 2P conversion, he went for it anyway. When asked why, he said "because they would not let me go for three!"
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>QUESTION:

What if your favorite sports team had great success, but played with as much emotion as the Soviet Red Army hockey team?

For those of you a little young, it's like playing "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" ice hockey, or any sport for that manner.

Would you find it hard to root for them. Would the casual enthusiast find it hard?

It's hypothetical Saturday.

Greg >>

I was a Sharks fan in the 1990s when they had 2/3 of the old Soviet KLM line (Larionov and Makarov) playing for them, so sure -- why not?