Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Let's see. 52 Bowman Mays listing described as VG/EX and the card is raw. VCP on VG/EX=$317. The buyer paid $405. Hopefully that puppy grades 1 grade *higher* than the description. Then VCP=$480 Woohoo!

• bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    No. That was a horrible deal. Battersbox wins - Buyer loses.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    If you like it thats all that counts.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • You can always sell it for 75% of what you paid for it like you have done with your other purchases.

• << <i>You can always sell it for 75% of what you paid for it like you have done with your other purchases. >>

thanks jerk..lol

• << <i>

<< <i>You can always sell it for 75% of what you paid for it like you have done with your other purchases. >>

thanks jerk..lol >>

Not taking that route anymore..lost alot of money to figure out what i really wanted to collect. now that i know i wont make the same mistakes
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The volume of posters here that make purchases THEN ask for advice never ceases to amaze me.

I live by one simple rule when purchasing . . . if I'm not sure, I find out before bidding or purchasing. If I miss out because I didn't gather information quick enough, that's fine. I've always found it better to miss out on a potentially good purchase than definitely make a bad one.

Too many seem to be the kind of folks that will call a raise preflop with 2-6 o/s hoping the flop will come 3,4,5...
  • brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The volume of posters here that make purchases THEN ask for advice never ceases to amaze me.

I live by one simple rule when purchasing . . . if I'm not sure, I find out before bidding or purchasing. If I miss out because I didn't gather information quick enough, that's fine. I've always found it better to miss out on a potentially good purchase than definitely make a bad one.

Too many seem to be the kind of folks that will call a raise preflop with 2-6 o/s hoping the flop will come 3,4,5... >>

blackitalian is the poster child for this. Learn to make your own purchases and do your own research.. It is cool to ask every now and again for advise, but damn you seem to post daily asking if something was a good buy, which usually it isn't.
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    blackitalian,

I may be in the minority here but I like the card...the eye appeal and centering is really nice and for that I routinely pay 10 to 20 percent above average sales price. Looks like that's what you did and you have a nice looking card. Now enjoy it!

Jeff

• << <i>blackitalian,

I may be in the minority here but I like the card...the eye appeal and centering is really nice and for that I routinely pay 10 to 20 percent above average sales price. Looks like that's what you did and you have a nice looking card. Now enjoy it!

Jeff >>

thanks jeff!
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I would like to make a suggestion to blackitalian...

First, get yourself a subscription to vcp. Second, buy cards already graded. Always remember to buy the card and not the holder...be sure you like the card itself as well as the grade it is given. When buying a high end raw card like that, you are making a huge risk that the card has already been submitted and rejected.
  • First of all i posted this thread BEFORE i bought the card, but got some advice from some people on the sgc forums so i decided to buy the card. I didnt get a response on here until after i posted it. So thanks to all the ASSumers who thought i bought the card and then asked for advice. i appreciate it

• << <i>I would like to make a suggestion to blackitalian...

First, get yourself a subscription to vcp. Second, buy cards already graded. Always remember to buy the card and not the holder...be sure you like the card itself as well as the grade it is given. When buying a high end raw card like that, you are making a huge risk that the card has already been submitted and rejected. >>

I usually do buy cards that are already graded but i liked the eye appeal of this card and know a few guys who swear by the seller and said that every raw card theyve bought is right on the money. yes im taking a risk but i bought the card because I liked it. i saw a few others around my price range but they were either off center or had creases.
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Here is the card under discussion...

• Scan is just big enough to make you think you know what you are getting but can't check under details.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    yeah posting here prior to purchasing is such the good idea... NOT.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen someone post prior to a purchase only to loose the card to someone else. The latest I can remember was a 1953 Jackie Robinson card...

<< <i>yeah posting here prior to purchasing is such the good idea... NOT.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen someone post prior to a purchase only to loose the card to someone else. The latest I can remember was a 1953 Jackie Robinson card... >>

Show me that thread...that would be an interesting read
    Im not seeing any evidence or names mentioned...so, Twiley, who was it that bought the card underneath the OP?
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

FANTASTIC PICKUP!

BE SURE TO POST SCANS WHEN YOU HAVE IT IN HAND!

• << <i>FANTASTIC PICKUP!

BE SURE TO POST SCANS WHEN YOU LIST IT ON THE BST! >>

Fixed it.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First of all i posted this thread BEFORE i bought the card, but got some advice from some people on the sgc forums so i decided to buy the card. I didnt get a response on here until after i posted it. So thanks to all the ASSumers who thought i bought the card and then asked for advice. i appreciate it >>

Considering the auction ended on the 25th and this thread was started on the 26th . . .

Please elaborate so us "ASSumers" can figure out how you posted this BEFORE you bought the card. I'll be waiting with Sherman and Mr. Peabody next the the Wayback Machine.
    Happy Holidays! image
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The volume of posters here that make purchases THEN ask for advice never ceases to amaze me.

Too many seem to be the kind of folks that will call a raise preflop with 2-6 o/s hoping the flop will come 3,4,5... >>

It's a good rule if you're talking about real money for cards. If you're talking about 99 cent opening bid plus $2 shipping, I'd take the risk. Granted, my last "I have no clue what this is, but WTH" purchase turned out to be a 1974 Broder Popcorn common, but at least it's a new vintage type card for me for around the cost of a fast food burger.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.

• << <i>Let's see. 52 Bowman Mays listing described as VG/EX and the card is raw. VCP on VG/EX=$317. The buyer paid $405. Hopefully that puppy grades 1 grade *higher* than the description. Then VCP=$480 Woohoo! >>

My leg jerk response is "shud ap".

But you make a good point Dan of the mountain people.

If you'd've made it into chat I'd've told ya both.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although you may not appreciate the tone there has been some good advice here. It is not uncommon to spend a premium for a card you really want or are having a difficult time finding. When you pay such a premium the odds are you will not recoup that amount when you sell. If you keep these cards in your collection for years and truly enjoy them then no harm, no foul. The problem as I see it is you seem compelled to hold these cards for a short time then lose big when you sell. That's a good recipe for "burn-out."
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• I have said this before and I will say it again...if I am even moderately interested in a high priced raw card I want to see the whole card and not just one side of it. I hope when you receive this card there are no nasty surprises on the back.
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Let's see. 52 Bowman Mays listing described as VG/EX and the card is raw. VCP on VG/EX=$317. The buyer paid $405. Hopefully that puppy grades 1 grade *higher* than the description. Then VCP=$480 Woohoo! >>

My leg jerk response is "shud ap".

But you make a good point Dan of the mountain people.

If you'd've made it into chat I'd've told ya both. >>

The mountain kicked my butt today, so I went to bed early. Funny (but true) story: I'm climbing up the mountain, and I see a man charging toward me running down the mountain. It was Jim Mora, formerly of my beloved Seahawks (and Falcons). The man is a gazelle.

• brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>First of all i posted this thread BEFORE i bought the card, but got some advice from some people on the sgc forums so i decided to buy the card. I didnt get a response on here until after i posted it. So thanks to all the ASSumers who thought i bought the card and then asked for advice. i appreciate it >>

Considering the auction ended on the 25th and this thread was started on the 26th . . .

Please elaborate so us "ASSumers" can figure out how you posted this BEFORE you bought the card. I'll be waiting with Sherman and Mr. Peabody next the the Wayback Machine. >>

I am not sure why any of us even respond to threads started by black anymore. I think it is in our best interest to just put this person on ignore from here on out.
    Im still waiting for Twiley to tell me who is accused of buying that card from underneath the OP in the other thread.
    Do you know how to read? Reread my post and stop making assumptions...
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Did the OP get this card yet? If so, what's the verdict?
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items