Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Floyd Mayweather jr.'s holiday gift to his fans!!

Floyd Mayweather jr. was in town today to do a paid signing at the Cubby Bear here in Chicago. I have been wanting to get a "rookie" card signed by him for a long time now. I figured this might be the only chance I would have to get my stuff signed since this was his first public signing, so I decided to pony up the $275 to get my card and glove signed.

After waiting around for an hour or so for the signing to start, the promoter of the signing announced that Mayweather would be refunding our ticket fees back to us as a holiday gift to his fans. Mayweather often catches a lot of flack for his extravagant and flamboyant lifestyle but it is really refreshing to see a star athlete appreciate his fans like this. I have probably attended close to a 100 paid signings over the years, and this is the first time I have ever seen a athlete do this. He probably refunded close to $20k in ticket sales out of his own pocket to give back to his fans.

Comments

• Options
    Regardless of what his public image is, ya gotta tip your hat to a guy who makes agesture like that. I often think his "bad boy" image is generated at least in aprt to help with the pay per view buys, kinda like a villian wrestler. If that's the case, good for him for giving the public what it wants. Now about that fight with Pacquiao...
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Hey ... no matter what you think about the guy, THAT was a very nice thing for him to do!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Congrats on getting the auto.

Maybe this counted as his community service.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    An acquaintance of mine knows Floyd very well and he couldn't speak more highly of him. That's pretty freaking cool!!
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Great Mayweather rookie card. I'm excited for you. That's a cool one. Congrats

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    They just showed him on TMZ burning $100 bills in a club... so... yeah.
  • Options
    Mayweather's probably one of the only men on this planet that can walk into an event in Chicago wearing a NY hat and NOT get any flack from anyone.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    It's because no one takes the Knicks seriously.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that Mayweather Rookie card!!! Very nice one to get signed!

This is a great story and even if he is made of money it is still a very nice gesture.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW ... I knew he made a LOT of money, but didn't know how much he made.

In 2010 he was the third highest earning American athlete, behind Tiger and Mickelson (both of whom made the majority from endorsements). Mayweather's earnings for 2010 were $60,250,000.00, of which only $250,000.00 was from endorsements.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

What do you think the rules are going to be? Are you going to watch?
    I think it’s an extremely dumb fight myself, I guess only time will tell if I tune in. Definitely gave me a chuckle when I read the article.
    The Mayweather vs Logan Paul live fight is scheduled to air on Fanmio through a pay-per-view arrangement.

• Options
    bruin805bruin805 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2021 5:05PM

Was it $275 per item, or $275 for 2 items (card and glove)?

Edit: didn't realize this was a 10 year old thread. lol

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story, and great gesture. He rarely gets positive news, the media is so slanted.

I respect the fact he is an all time great but watching his matches was frustrating. Once we went up on points he would just use his defense to out point people. I grew up watching Hagler/Hearns. etc... and prefer the slugfests!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.