Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Larry Fritsch Cards

Has anyone purchased from them recently? Just received a catalog. Their ordering system is archaic! If you order by phone there's a 5% convenience fee. You have to make a written request for the cards you want, no more than 20 in an order. Plus you have to include an $8 deposit (and a SASE) which comes off your total if they have your cards. If you don't take the cards, they hit you with a restocking fee that comes off the $8 deposit. How accurate is their grading? Would appreciate any one's input,thanks.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've bought graded packs from their site with no problems. Fast shipping and friendly responses.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I have never ordered from them either. Dean's cards have been my biggest sorce when I don't feel like using the bay. Their order system is great. Also, whatever happened to Henderson's Cards, King of Commons? Kit Young just changed their format for the better 3-4 weeks ago. It used to be that you would have to search cards by a range of dates (ex: 1965-1968 pages 49-64). He has them grouped by year finally, much like Dean's. I can vouch for Dean's and Kit's cards, quality stuff at somewhat reasonable prices. I picked up some amazing 75 minis in true mint condition from Kit. Both will grade a card within a grade, so you can spend $40, $42, or $45 for the same excellent card (based on centering, etc). If I had to pick one it would be Dean's, due to the large orders of purchases I have bought in the past. These have been consistiently graded every time. I think both have ebay stores.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I remember buying from Bill Henderson back in the 80's to complete my '67 set. I don't think he has a "store" to purchase from anymore, but he is on eBay.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone purchased from them recently? Just received a catalog. Their ordering system is archaic! If you order by phone there's a 5% convenience fee. You have to make a written request for the cards you want, no more than 20 in an order. Plus you have to include an $8 deposit (and a SASE) which comes off your total if they have your cards. If you don't take the cards, they hit you with a restocking fee that comes off the $8 deposit. How accurate is their grading? Would appreciate any one's input,thanks. >>

Bought unopened from them before and been happy, but you're right - the raw card buying system is insane.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • JustusJustus Posts: 179 ✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone purchased from them recently? Just received a catalog. Their ordering system is archaic! If you order by phone there's a 5% convenience fee. You have to make a written request for the cards you want, no more than 20 in an order. Plus you have to include an $8 deposit (and a SASE) which comes off your total if they have your cards. If you don't take the cards, they hit you with a restocking fee that comes off the $8 deposit. How accurate is their grading? Would appreciate any one's input,thanks. >>

Last year I found some raw cards I wanted from them but when I saw their order system...I just closed the website and went elsewhere. What century are they in??
    Successful transactions w/Comicgeek68, Statman, Scotgreb, Aupt, captainthreeputt, diamondman, Mickey71, slantycouch, Bkritz, BABERUTHJOEDIMAGGIO, craigger, Huggyface, and many others.
  • Has anyone bought his old vending boxes....like early 70's basketball? I think he has 71 topps baseball vending for $6 or $10 k!

I bought his 59 topps football 2nd series lot a few years ago, maybe 2003. It was $99 then, now I think its $159. I got some pretty good grades, 7's and 8's and one 9.

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember buying from Bill Henderson back in the 80's to complete my '67 set. I don't think he has a "store" to purchase from anymore, but he is on eBay. >>

Since back in the day I have patronized Bill Henderson many times at shows,over the phone and Ebay.I got to know him pretty well and helped me a few times over the years with certain cards however in the last few years I have sent him inquires on certain cards and he has never responded to me.
    Therefore I no longer do buisness with him after giving him many great feedbacks and refferals.

As far as Larry Fritsch I have purchased from him on occasion begining in 1981 buying a 81 traded set from him.I have never had any problems with him .You might pay a little more however the service and product is great.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • EstilEstil Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed that although Larry Fritsch is the "granddaddy of all card dealers" (he founded the first full-time card dealership in 1970) but his prices are outrageous. I don't understand how he stayed in business.
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate everyone's input. I'm concerned with their grading on individual cards---don't want to pay NM prices to find the stuff won't do better than 6 at PSA then get stuck with it. Its been at least a decade since I bought something from them that was an individual card. Last purchase I made several tears ago were Requena postcards.
  • Three times sent Larry Fritsch money. Three times never got the cards. Three times they said that they didn't have the cards I requested (although in each case they later had those same cards, at higher prices of course). Three times had to complain to get a refund. That was over 20 years ago when you had to buy out of Sports Collector's Digest and such. Three strikes and you're out as far as I am concerned. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars in cards over the last twenty years. Not one of those dollars went to Larry Fritsch.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Well, then back to Dean's, nothing sent for grading, but very happy with EX+ cards I've recieved. Give them a chance!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    My experience with Fristch is that they grade on corners only, and not on print spots or centering.