Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just finished a 1966 Topps Baseball set. SCANS ADDED....

Earlier this summer I finished off my 1967 Topps set, then turned my attention to 1966. Completing this one was more difficult. In an odd twist, I had most of the high numbers, it was several mid-highs and a few others that were hard to obtain. I finally got the last 2 cards I needed - a Fergie Jenkins RC and Terry Fox - in Chicago.

It is odd that more people don't find this set desirable. I really like it, there are many that believe there were fewer 66's produced than any other year in the 60's. I believe it is the 2nd toughest 60's era set to complete in high grade behind 1962.

I'll try to post some scans this weekend - this one is not quite as nice as the 67 set, but it's up there.
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    I agree that it is a tough set set to complete in high grade. There seem to be centering issues with many of the semi highs as well as the hi numbers. Congrats at hitting 100%
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scans por favor.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    It's growing on me as well. It's just a very clean design.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats ... show us when you can!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that was a complete set quick! Good job. I completed my 1965 set about ten years ago and have been working on 66-69 on and off since then. I agree, those 66-67 high numbers are really tuff to get above XF. It's been hard finding them in vg over the last 2-3 years. so it's like this:

1966- about 60% complete
    1967- about 40% complete
    1968- about 85% complete, still need my Ryan. Have been on prolly 70-80 cards over the years
    1969- about 80% complete

Would like to see some of the scans as well...
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Earlier this summer I finished off my 1967 Topps set, then turned my attention to 1966. Completing this one was more difficult. In an odd twist, I had most of the high numbers, it was several mid-highs and a few others that were hard to obtain. I finally got the last 2 cards I needed - a Fergie Jenkins RC and Terry Fox - in Chicago.

It is odd that more people don't find this set desirable. I really like it, there are many that believe there were fewer 66's produced than any other year in the 60's. I believe it is the 2nd toughest 60's era set to complete in high grade behind 1962.

I'll try to post some scans this weekend - this one is not quite as nice as the 67 set, but it's up there. >>

Ron U are so right.It is a very difficult set to put together however it is an awesome set.I believe that was the only set from the 60s I was not able to complete before I sold out the complete run a few years back.IMO it was tougher than the 62 of course they were all raw sets.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Congrats image
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Brings back memories. 1966 was the first year I ever bought baseball cards. I remember buying rack packs at Woolworth's. If only I had saved them (unopened).
    Capecards
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    SICK!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That's a great set. Waiting on scans -

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Congradulations.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    Super!
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    Congrads on the sets.

Dave
  • Options
    A major accomplishment. Congrats! image
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your completion of the 1966 Topps set...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! Two of the toughest 60s sets without question. Why not post some photos of the SPs?
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Here's the first round of scans. I'll add more later of raw cards and more graded. The Mantle is just ok, at some point I'll upgrade to a PSA 8. This set is nice, but it's not special like my 67 set. Maybe with a little work I can get it there.....

Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    The Landrum, last I checked, is a pop 1 with 3 higher in PSA 8.

Ron Burgundy

• Options
    Great looking scans.

man, i really miss Shea
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Super cards! You definitely know how to pick them.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Great cards Ron, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Love that Koufax

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Awesome...
  • Options
    The Mantle looks fine to me. What a great looking set. Love it.