Home Sports Talk
Options

The REAL Game of the Century 40th anniversary

The greatest regular-season college football game ever played was forty years ago today on November 25, 1971.

This Thanksgiving day saw a 5-year-old boy rooting for Nebraska's scarlet and cream over Oklahoma's crimson and red - just because red was his favorite color.

10 years later as a sophomore in HS, I rediscovered the Huskers for more substantive reasons.

November 25 was also my late maternal grandmother's birthday. One of my first memories.

Now I just want them to beat Iowa.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Oklahoma-Nebraska game of 1971 was a classic and should be in everyone's top 5 games of the second half of the 20th century.

I remember the Iowa-Nebraska game from 1979 or 1980 when the Hawkeyes upset the Huskers 10-7 and then beat UCLA 20-7. It was shortly after Hayden Fry took over as head coach

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    November 1993 was in my opinion the best 2 weeks ever in College Football that I saw. #1 Florida State fell to a Kevin Mcdougal led #2 Notre Dame team then the Following week #1 Notre Dame lost to BC in a classic.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Certainly the '71 OU/Neb game is one of the all-time greats...In additions to the ones Perk listed, I'd also put the '88 "Catholics vs. Convicts" Miami/ND game and the '84 "Hail Flutie" BC/Miami game as two of the greats I've seen.