Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Best Sets of the 1970's?

In keeping with the spirit of the 1960's sets topic, I was wondering what the concensus was with the board in regard to this decade.

My Choices

1. 1971 Topps. Classic design, tough in higher grades. Great Player selection.

2. 1970 Kelloggs. Cool, groovy 3D cards. Big pics,

3. 1972

4. 1975

5. 1970

6. 1973 Only because it has the Ron Cey Rookieimage

7- Complete toss up with the rest

Bottom of the list. 1975 Mini

Why this "Test" issue should be accepted as a mainstream set is beyond my comprehension.
THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Comments

• Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    I think the top two sets are 71 and 75. The rest of the 70s kinda blends together for me.

However, I fully expect 72 to get a bit of support from others on this board...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    Here's my list:

1975 - Best design and the year of the Big Red Machine

1971 - Absolutely the most beautiful psa 9's from the 70's. The nm or lesser grades are not that impressive

1973 - I like the clean and crisp look

1974, 76, and 70 - Nice cards but nothing to write home about

1977-79 - Did they make cards these years?

1972 - Nice cards but I have to put them last due to the types of people that they attract as collectors.image

Wayne
    1955 Bowman Football
  • Options
    Zardoz - 1970 Kellogg's only gets second place?? We need to talk.

Here's my top three (I can't come up with more than that right now because I'm trying to get over Zardoz's rating system)

1970 Kellogg's - The absolute coolest set in the world. So there.

1972 Topps - Hey it's psychedelic, and you get to hang out with the FAB FIVE

1971 - Classic tough set

Ok, I'll give you one more - 1973, I just like it.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Well... I have to stick with the home team.

1. 72 Topps (shameless promotion which hopefully continues to prop up prices)image

2. 71 Topps (it takes a real masochist to build this one graded)

3. 70 Topps (nice, simple and tons of stars)

4. 75 Topps (who doesn't like the colors and the rookie crop?)

5. 72 Kellogg's All Time Great Set (how else could I afford cards of these players?)

6. 74 Topps (cause Carlos collects them)

7. 76 Topps (last Aaron)

8. the others...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Zardoz> Actually, Ron Cey's rookie card is in the 1972 set.

Oh. . .you must be talking about that other guy image

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    I'll play

1972 - Psychdelic! Mint examples almost look 3-D.
    1971 - Challenging all black very slick in Mint, how bout that lower case block lettering
    1975 - Cool Man; Groovy - Dig that long hair and very colorful.
    1978 - Plain white with script, classy.
    1970 - Just cause its old
    1977 - Simply OK
    1974 - Last four, no distinguishing birthmarks,blah.

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    My list:

1975 Topps(IMO one of the best looking sets ever;Brett, Yount, Carter, Hernandez, Rice RC;9's and better are works of art)

1971 Topps(Classic black border set;Concepcion, Blyleven(knew how to whiff a batter), Baylor/Baker, Garvey RC;the most sought after by avg. Joe[non-slab guys];7's or better are clean enough to look "good", 9's or better are incredible)

1972 Topps(Like the 3-d team logos;IA cards something cool;Fisk, Cey RC)

1970 Topps(Unobtrusive design with nice photos is appealing;Munson RC)

After these the rest sets leave something behind in looks.....

1977 Topps(Always indifferent and boring design yet has grown on me in recent months;quality control was pathetic for this set,I get 3 different cards on one right out of packs too frequently to be believable, have opened racks that had not one card capable of a 7 solely based on centering and edging, 9's still look a little hacked due to consistent edge flaking and chipping, never seen one with 4 sharp and "complete" corners, photos frequently lack focus/poor register etc, will pay just to "view" the only 10;Dawson, Murphy, Martinez, Sutter, Jack "the hack" Clark RC, YEAR I WAS BORN helps position here)

1973 Topps(design boring;Schmidt RC(key card of decade to me),Evans RC (my favorite player as a kid)

1978 Topps(design boring;Murray, Molitor/Trammell RC push this set above the others)

1974 Topps(design boring;Winfield, Madlock, Griffey Sr pushes above others;also to me "softest set", 8's and 9's being easy to acquire)

1979 Topps(don't like this design at all(worst of decade for me);Smith RC pushes above others)

1976 Topps(boring design;Eck, Randolph RC; the saddest RC class of the decade without good design making this one finish last for me)

I hope not to offend anyone, I agree that 77 is lacking but I have no choice image I also see why some ranked a few sets and clumped the rest together.....

75 minis...like em'

77 cloth hate em', but may decide to make that set sometime image

Traded sets indifferent

Don't know anything about Deckle, Kelloggs, or any other sets not mentioned.....

• Options
    McCasaldi

Yep, that other guy image
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Ok this isn't fair guys. We have two separate references to how the 1972 Topps set has an actual or perceived 3-D "quality" about them:

"1972 - Psychdelic! Mint examples almost look 3-D."

"1972 Topps(Like the 3-d team logos;IA cards something cool;Fisk, Cey RC)"

IF YOU WANT 3-D THEN BUY THE 1970 KELLOGG'S. SETTLE FOR NO SUBSTITUTIONS.

• Options
    gemmint

Somehow, I knew that I would become the target of your wrath. It was a toss up between the 70 Kelloggs and the 71 Topps. What tipped the scale was that I get a better weight training workout handling the boxes of 71T owing to the size of the set versus the smaller 70K. (Do you think that I was able to BS my way out of that one?)image
  • Options
    Well if the winning consideration was for body building I might understand...
  • Options
    Yes.

I had noticed the reference to 3-D in the descriptions of the 72's

Such nerve! One really has to keep an eye on these 72 guys.

A poor runner-up at best.

Get some 70 Kelloggs, stand back, and be struck in awe by the effect of true THREE-DEE...........

and you don't have to wear any of those stupid red and green cardboard framed glasses!

• Options
    Woaw, woaw, woaw...

Before you start lumping every person that uses 72 in a sentence as "72 guys" take a look at who's slingin the 3-D description around. Ray's a good guy, but there is that plate in his head and I believe that Kurt is actually Mr. 77.

You can't just lump everybobdy together like that!!!! They don't know the 72 handshake!!! They don't subscribe to the 72 guys newsletter!!! Heck! I bet they don't even have the "72 guys make better lovers" bumper sticker!!!

I'm all for havin a good time here... but sometimes I just hafta put my foot down!
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    My apologies....I did not know how else to describe the team logos?? I have to buy one of these Kelloggs cards to see what the story is. Sounds cool at least.....
  • Options
    Frank

Thank you for the correction, however, rest assured that collectors of everything that isn't a 72 will be keeping a close eye on the entire 1972 entourage.

Please don't assume that we are naive, we all know about your secret initiation ceremony, off-shore banking facilities, and ties with Kaiser Soze.image
  • Options
    Who told you about the off-shore banking?image
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    FB - LOL. I thought the actual bumper sticker reads "Make Love, Not '72 Topps". Anyway, the FAB FIVE has to be held accountable for the actions of the potential FAB FIVERs. There's just no other way as I see it. Your organization is just too powerful to be left unchecked.

Kurt - apology accpeted. Now get out there, and buy a 1970 Kellogg's graded card of your favorite player. Then sit back, and behold it's 3-D brilliance.

• Options
    Gemmint...

There's that darn anti-trust thing again...

And oh! I'm usually not fond of garage sales, but my wife dragged me this weekend. We never made it to th 2nd one because at the first one I bought a bunch of 70 & 71 Topps Supers (the Aarons, Mays, Clemente and the Rose were $3 each in NM-MT) a complete 72 Kellogg's set in Mint for $35 and the ATG set for $10. A 71 Topps Greatest Moments (Yaz Triple Crown) in NM to NM-Mt condition for $5 and so on and so on.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Hey I don't make the laws, lol. Nice buys there!
  • Options
    Gemmint - My mother says I have to finish the 63 boxes of Corn Flakes she bought that I hid in the cellar before I can buy any more. After I broke out the 3D card first of course! (Lost all those years ago though.)

Side note: Funny true story. Back in 1972 (Maybe it was 1971) I had a paper route. My friends and I spent a lot of money on baseball cards. When Kelloggs came out with cards in boxes of cereal we had to have them. Having Mom buy Corn Flakes (tasted like cardboard anyway) and then finishing (choking down) the whole box shortly became an unacceptable way to build the set. Besides my friend had two brothers and the 3 of them could sit down and eat a whole box each day.
    My next door neighbor and I had a brainstorm. Since Corn Flakes were the cheapest name of Kelloggs cereal that had the cards we deferred paper route money to the master plan.
    Buy Corn Flakes (with coupons if we could find them) open the box and dig out the card and leave the box in the grocery store dumpster. Each Friday we would wheel out of the store like 12 boxes of Corn Flakes in the shopping cart straight around back of the building and go through this routine.
    Had a pretty nice set after a while. Kept up with the 3 brothers. They could never understand how I consumed so many bowls of Corn Flakes. Cause' they hated them too! Thinking back now it sure was bad business. 1 card for $1.29. Sounds like the modern card rip off of todays market. The Topps of the day were 15 cards for $.10.

Frank - It must have been the plate in my head! I heartily appreciate, though, you allowing me to stay in the gang, challenged in this way. I can sneak you through those pesky metal detectors though!

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    RayB - that story is too funny!!!!! You're one of us. Hell, you may be our leader with that kind of dedication to the 3-D cause. LOL image
  • Options
    3-D experts.....

70 Lot

Do these cards always come with the "floating" thing?? In other words do they have a holder made to fit them?? Any help is appreciated, thanks.....
  • Options
    All of mine have the floating thing, but it is not detracting

• Options
    Thanks Zardoz. I personally don't like the floating thing. In fact some of my "often disliked" minis just went back to be reholdered. They look so bizarre floating. Who knows maybe I can get used to it.
  • Options
    Tell you what Kurt

Email me your address and I'll send you a 70K PSA card to get you started.

As the drug dealers say......"the first one's free"......................image
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    FB,

You must have went to my ex-wife's garage sale. Been looking for "MY" cards. Could you please send them back to me? I'll cover postage.........

Thanks Big Guy!
    Treetop
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>As the drug dealers say......"the first one's free"...................... >>

As for the registry, you can check-in any time you like but you can never leave. Welcome to the PSA Set Registry, such a lovely place, such a lovely place.....
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    rw2winrw2win Posts: 557
    Do I sense some other Eagles (not Philly) fans here?

My vote is 75.
    72 would be my runner-up.
  • Options
    I would rate the 70's sets this way~~>

1) 1971 These are totally the bad boys of the decade. Black borders just look awesome in top grades

2) 1972 I like these for the same reasons everybody else does. It's classic 70's!! Makes ya kinda wanna go watch The Mod Squad on the tube.

3) 1975 Another exciting set loaded with color

4) 1973 This one appeals to me too. Nice design, love those dark backs.

5) 1974 This issue doesn't rate real high on most peoples lists, but I like it for some reason.

6) 1970 Not crazy about the gray borders...kinda plain...but the bright yellow and blue backs make up for it.

7) 1978 they're alright

8) 1977 Not much to excite me here

9) 1979 I'd keep em before I'd throw em away.

10) 1976 Bringing up the rear......I still have never gotten over buying an unopened pack of 76's and pulling a fresh beautiful crisp 2nd year Brett, and 2nd Year Yount from it, and both being so hidiously miscut it made me cry.
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    The 1979 set is really poor.
    No one should collect it, the centering, gloss, and focus are so difficult, the hobby should ignore this beast. It's too large, the key rookie is questioned by many on this board as to HOF merit, there's a sub-group of guys like Sisler, Lenoard, Chesboro, Etc. that no one knows, it's stone ugly, lower case letters on black paper are much more artistically proper, and so on ad-infinitum. 1979 ? Why that's hardly vintage besides. Over printed slop.
    Also the 1973 set is not too cool. Topps finally figured out to issue all cards at once.
    Everyone owning any cards from these two bummers should sell them as soon as they can. If you wait, most others will see how unworthty they are and the value will go down even more !
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Jaxxr....do I detect a hidden agenda here.....image
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    Hmmm...I guess I better dump my PSA 9 1973's. Maybe a nickel a piece?

Not!
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    I am appreciative the set I collect has very little interest without trying to convince anyone image
  • Options
    ...very little interest....yet!
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Here is my list...

1974 (Of Course)
    1972 (Peace Man!!!)
    1971 (Besides Tye Dye, Black is my favorite color)
    1970 (Calmness of the gray borders)
    1973 (Not sure why)
    1977 (Average)
    1976 (Cool little men)
    1975 (OK)
    1979 (Only mint examples)
    1978 (Never really liked this set)

Carlos
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    In an earlier post KURT wrote...

1974 Topps(design boring;Winfield, Madlock, Griffey Sr pushes above others;also to me "softest set", 8's and 9's being easy to acquire)

"softest set", 8's and 9's being easy to acquire

I just check the POP report and this is how the 1974 & 1972 HIGH Grades compare to each other.

Of the 21960 cards from 1972, 66.31% graded either 8 9 or 10

Of the 12032 cards from 1974, 67.57% graded either 8 9 or 10

It seems kind of equal to me.

Maybe it is the preception.

Carlos
  • Options
    My list would go like this.

1976- Set is very colorful and is beautiful in highgrade. I have about 20% in PSA 8 or better and they rule!!!!

1975-Great color and the Oscar Gamble card gets me every time.

1971-Pretty close to the 75 set except the black borders go to peoples heads when they pay 10K for a Rose.

1972-I like almost all the stars from this set buy "why it so big?" I have about 50% of my Pirate Team set in PSA 8 from this year but with all the bidding on commons i can feel icy stares from the set builders everytime i bid on one.

1970-This set is really tough and undervalued in my opinion. Biggest problem is the stupid white/grey/black print lines that ruin so many cards. I refuse to buy a PSA 8 with one.

1973-Fun set and a major RC. I would like to buy a NM/MT set and upgrade all the stars.

1977-I actually think they are attractive but not anything to go crazy over.

1974-Kinda like the 77 set with a better Ryan card. Winfield gets a yawn from me and i prefer buying Parker RCs to his.

1979-Besides Ray Charles cutting every sheet this set has a nice look when centered and Ozzie's RC is one of my alltime favs.

1978-Ugliest Willie Stargell card in the world so it fell down the list.

No accounting for taste.
    Jason Jacobs: Looking for NM/MT graded cards of Pirates and Cardinals from prewar to 1975.
  • Options
    Carkim I PM'ed you. Please let me know your thoughts.......
  • Options
    1. 1971 Kelloggs (scarcity rules)
    2. 1970 Kelloggs (great number of HOF?--What is there? 22?)
    3. 1971 Topps--The black border makes this--by far--the most attractive Topps set of the decade.
    4. 1975 Topps--Pretty set, but I'm not sure cards are supposed to be pretty.
    5. 1972 Topps--Actually I never liked the set much until I started reading this forum. Now, I'm trying to remember where I put that set.
    6. 1972 Kelloggs All Time Greats--(& its twin 1970 Rold Gold) Two Babe Ruths in a 15 card set.
    7. 1970 Milk Duds--Ugly with a capitol 'U' but very unique and--face it--there's a lot of ugly cards from the '70's'
    8. 1977 Topps--A personal favorite, as it was the last set I ever put together totally from wax packs. Took me all summer. Still have it.
    9. 1973 Kelloggs-Neat set--Who needs 3-D?
    10. 1971 Topps Supers--Mine are all beat up because there was no way to take care of them.
    11. 1970 Topps--Simple and drab but pretty clean.
    12. 1976 Topps--If it had better rookie cards I think it might rank higher.
    13. 1978 Topps--Topps was in a rut in these years.
    14. 1974 Topps--First year, cards didn't come in a series. At the time, I thought it was great. But now, I realize that releasing cards in series made it more interesting.
    15. 1979 Topps--Not much to like.
    16. 1973 Topps--I hate this set.
    Honorable mention- 7-11 Cups. I still have Willie Mays on my mantle.
    Hostess cards--I bought 'em at the day-ol bakery for 99 cents a box.
    1971 Kelloggs and 1961 Fleer
  • Options
    Ahh Guffy, you're a good lad image.
  • Options
    The guy sure knows how to rack up bonus points!image
  • Options
    1960Bucs,

If you'll shoot me an email to lynnfrank@earthlink.net with a list of the 1972 Pirates in PSA 8 that you're still looking for, I'll keep an eye open for them. I generally sell more off-line than on-line so the set builders won't even have to know.
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    My 2c,

1971 Greatest Moments- By far the toughest
    1971- Great set
    1972-Big and beautiful
    1973- Because I like it too, I dont know why
    1975- Tough like the 1971 with centering problems
    1970- Simply but centering is a problem too
    1974- Because I have alot of them
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    1960Bucs,

The line about Ray Charles doing the cutting for most of the 79 BB cards was super. And maybe true...
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.