Home Sports Talk
Options

Urban renewal in Columbus

BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hopefully the reports are true. Lousy timing. Sad for Luke but all year it was obvious he was truly a lame duck coach. When there is an Urban Meyer available you have no choice but to bring him into your program. It should really help recruiting. I don't consider myself an expert in prognosticating but I am afraid the Buckeyes will feel deflated and the team up North will probably put a hurtin on us. Hope I'm wrong. But with Urban we should get back to where we should be rather quickly.
Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Comments

• Options
    I dont like the timing of it either. I really hope Luke stays on as some assistant coach or something. I just dont know why they wouldnt keep a lid on this until after the Michigan game. Ive heard its all but a done deal.

Dave
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I dont like the timing of it either. I really hope Luke stays on as some assistant coach or something. I just dont know why they wouldnt keep a lid on this until after the Michigan game. Ive heard its all but a done deal.

Dave >>

ESPN reported that Luke will stay on in some capacity. He might be a lame duck coach but this is a legendary rivalry so I expect the players to still play hard.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Sweet clean football Santa Jesus, please let this happen.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    YES, YES, YES, YES. Let the recruiting begin.

Ralph

• Options
    Awesome! It's on like Donkey Kong now! The rest of college football just got failed smile.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome! It's on like Donkey Kong now! The rest of college football just got failed smile. >>

I can't imagine how strong the program will be under him. Ohio State should be able to dominate the Big Ten.

title.
  • Options
    ...like they dominated the past decade?
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    O - H
  • Options

<< <i>...like they dominated the past decade? >>

Even more so!

title.
  • Options

<< <i>O - H >>

I - O

Ralph

• Options
    Guess he was cured of his health problems pretty quick. image
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Guess he was cured of his health problems pretty quick. image >>

Hopefully, for his sake, the NCAA doesn't impose too hard of sanctions for OSU. Otherwise, in the words of Fred Sanford, he may be having a heart attack, Lizabeth.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Show of hands -- who here expected Meyer to stay "retired" for long?

No hands up? Didn't think so.
  • Options

<< <i>

Even more so! >>

I was referring to all the cheating that Ohio is so well known for.
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Even more so! >>

I was referring to all the cheating that Ohio is so well known for. >>

Are you serious dude? Please put down the bottle and step away.
    -Thank You
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Awesome! It's on like Donkey Kong now! The rest of college football just got failed smile. >>

I love hearing Ticket schtick on here.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Michigan fan I'm pretty fired up about this. This is good for the Big Ten period.. A strong Michigan-OSU rivalry is a good thing. Michigan has a great class coming in this year and a number one QB coming in 2013. With Meyer coming in it will give Michigan even more ammo to recruit with. This is a good hire period. Win win. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    Urban Meyer is the Brett Favre of coaching, and I have been saying this ever since he has been linked to the OSU job.

I do not care about his record. The stole the attention away from the OSU-Michigan game like he did the other two times he stepped away.

As far as I am concerned, he loses a lot of equity in that regard. However, the price of poker has gone up for as long as he is there.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <However, the price of poker has gone up for as long as he is there>

This. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The stole the attention away from the OSU-Michigan game >>

You and Mike Golic are both whiners...

Urban Meyer didn't go public with this until yesterday. All that other crap you heard was people who can't keep their fat mouths shut. Blame the media. Urban Meyer did everything he could to keep it quiet.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Urban Meyer might be the biggest fraud out there. For someone that claimed he needed to spend more time with his family, he sure racked up the quality time being in the ESPN studios almost every night. Big surprise that he stayed retired for a whole season.

He rode Alex Smith to a perfect season, and Tebow to 2 championships...and when those guys moved on to the NFL, Meyer moved on too, knowing he was in store for mediocrity with the team he had left. Of course OSU just happens to have Braxton Miller as their QB for a couple years.

He's the Phil Jackson of college football....except Phil didn't have 31 players get arrested in 6 years like Meyer did at Florida. What I can't figure out is whether that represents a step up or step down from Saint Jim in the player conduct department.
  • Options
    Jealousy is a stinky cologne.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meyer "rode" Tebow to one championship - Chris Leak was the QB for the other.

Tabe
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Urban Meyer might be the biggest fraud out there. For someone that claimed he needed to spend more time with his family, he sure racked up the quality time being in the ESPN studios almost every night. Big surprise that he stayed retired for a whole season.

He rode Alex Smith to a perfect season, and Tebow to 2 championships...and when those guys moved on to the NFL, Meyer moved on too, knowing he was in store for mediocrity with the team he had left. Of course OSU just happens to have Braxton Miller as their QB for a couple years.

He's the Phil Jackson of college football....except Phil didn't have 31 players get arrested in 6 years like Meyer did at Florida. What I can't figure out is whether that represents a step up or step down from Saint Jim in the player conduct department. >>

I disagree. Meyer left Utah for one of the best coaching jobs in the world; hard to blame him for that. Then he cut out of Florida after a health scare. A year out he's given a godfather offer by OSU that anyone who loves coaching would have a hard time turning down. Sure, he changed his mind about coaching in the past 11 months, but what's the crime in that? Maybe he decided he can't live w/o coaching; heck, maybe he realized he can't stand his family and needs to spend as much time as possible out the house. Who knows? In any case, you can't get on a guy for changing his career ambitions.

As far as the behavior of his players is concerned, I've never been of the opinion that it's the coach's job to deal with that. You get the best players that your University will admit to the school and you take it from there. If he's bringing in illiterate thugs then that's the fault of the FU admissions department. These guys are hired to do one thing- win. They aren't hired to 'nurture the student-athlete', or 'mold boys into good men', or any of the rest of that nonsense. The boosters and alumni don't care a lick if the guys wearing helmets are stand-up citizens, and the University itself rarely cares, so why should the coach give a damn?
  • Options

<< <i>As far as the behavior of his players is concerned, I've never been of the opinion that it's the coach's job to deal with that. You get the best players that your University will admit to the school and you take it from there. If he's bringing in illiterate thugs then that's the fault of the FU admissions department. These guys are hired to do one thing- win. They aren't hired to 'nurture the student-athlete', or 'mold boys into good men', or any of the rest of that nonsense. The boosters and alumni don't care a lick if the guys wearing helmets are stand-up citizens, and the University itself rarely cares, so why should the coach give a damn? >>

If any of this were true, Tressel would still have a job.
  • Options
    I had mentioned that when an Urban Meyer is available you do what you can to get him into your program. That works both ways. When a job like Ohio State is available you do all you can to acquire the position. Perhaps Meyer would have preferred to wait another year. The position would have been filled and who knows how long until the position is available again. The only other position he would desire from all accounts is Notre Dame and they have a new hire.

Ralph

• Options
    Phil Jackson of college football? Sweet!
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As far as the behavior of his players is concerned, I've never been of the opinion that it's the coach's job to deal with that. You get the best players that your University will admit to the school and you take it from there. If he's bringing in illiterate thugs then that's the fault of the FU admissions department. These guys are hired to do one thing- win. They aren't hired to 'nurture the student-athlete', or 'mold boys into good men', or any of the rest of that nonsense. The boosters and alumni don't care a lick if the guys wearing helmets are stand-up citizens, and the University itself rarely cares, so why should the coach give a damn? >>

If any of this were true, Tressel would still have a job. >>

Tressel wasn't fired because his players were beating up their girlfriends or stealing laptops. He was fired because his players were violating NCAA rules, and because he lied about it to the NCAA once it was brought to his attention.

• Options
    Who can blame Meyer for anything. Look at what he accomplished.

He successfully left a top tier coaching job in the SEC for a top tier coaching job outside of the SEC.

Not a bad swap for him.

He will do very well at OSU.
    Scoreboard Malfunction