Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Un Peso Value?

There is a local coin show tomorrow and I may try to sell/trade some foreign.

I've got some Un Peso in BU: 1940, 1943, and 1944. Really in quite excellent condition, luster. I know the all silver weight is .3856, but would they be worth alittle more as a collector coin? Value?

Appreciate your input.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pesos from which country? Mexico, I'd assume?

Edit to add: unless any of those happen to be better dates, then chances are, their bullion value has pretty much eclipsed their catalog/numismatic value by now.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Yes, Mexican Un Peso. And thank you, we will go with the spot price. It's difficult to see such beautiful silver coins go to the melting pot.
  • Lordmacrovan,

if the ASW of the Un Peso (Mexico) is .3856. Spot 31.88 x .3856 = $12.2312 per coin right?image

• << <i>I've got some Un Peso in BU: 1940, 1943, and 1944. Really in quite excellent condition, luster. I know the all silver weight is .3856, but would they be worth alittle more as a collector coin? >>

Not really. Catalog value is currently below melt value.

<< <i>Value? >>

You might do better on eBay, but I'd bet most dealers won't pay more than melt for these.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those dates have to be GEM or higher (65 or higher) or an exceptional strike

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• For those dates, MS65 is probably not high enough to be worth the trouble to slab.
  • Thanks all for your replies.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lordmacrovan,

if the ASW of the Un Peso (Mexico) is .3856. Spot 31.88 x .3856 = $12.2312 per coin right? >>

Sounds about right to me.

<< <i>It's difficult to see such beautiful silver coins go to the melting pot. >>

They'd only theoretically go to the melting pot. If they're nice enough looking, they could continue to trade as coins and not actually get melted.

Earlier this year, I cashed in on all of my grandmother's 1895 Gorham patent sterling flatware, which had just been sitting in a shoebox beneath the bed for a few years and was semi-forgotten. I sold it off as scrap, feeling a pang for sending such beautiful old silver off to be melted, but the price I got diminished the pangs pretty quickly. I told some coworkers about the experience, and they asked if I thought my grandmother would fuss at me for that. Maybe she would have, but I told 'em I suspected she'd also approve of me paying some bills- that shoe box of silver forks, knives, and spoons brought my credit card balance from maxed out to zero. (Always a fine feeling- too bad it didn't stay at that zero balance for long.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.