Home Q & A Forum

Filled mint mark in 1886-S Morgan?

I wish I could get this to display properly with my limited equipment, but I'm having difficulty because of the lack of relief between this mark and and field of the coin, it seems to be very similar to what I've seen on the 1921-S VAM-6B. Initially, I saw this coin in an airtight and it appeared to be a normal 1886, but while reviewing the coins I bought that day under better lighting and without the plastic from the airtight in the way, I noticed what appears to be a very faint 'S'. This coin also has signs of some Die Clash, with possible indications of a double strike at NED.

The 's' that I'm viewing in the mint mark location perhaps 1mm low and left of normal position on an 1886-S along with being tilted left approx 10 degrees. It is the right size for a mint-mark 's', but flattened.

The strike on this coin was a very high quality, strong strike. Lines are sharp and distinct throughout.

I was giving all that info in the hopes that someone may be familiar with this if was a die variety, or has seen something similar. The main thing that I'm interested in is other Morgans, mainly San Francisco minted, that have had filled mint marks confirmed as genuine error strikes, so I'd have a baseline to compare this against. I'll also for sure be taking this coin to the PCGS table at the Houston Coin Show next weekend for grading.