Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

300 Great Baseball Cards of the 20th Century: A Historical Tribute by the Hobby's Most Relied Upon S

I was looking through my old beckets from 2001 and this was mentioned twice in separate issues. The title says it all pretty much.
You could of ordered it directly from beckett.com back in the day. Now you can obtain it through amazon which is what I had to do.
eBays also another option but I wanted my book to be more in the used but new condition. Should run you about $20.
Great gift to get someone I think. The book is loaded with 300 color pictures of the hobbys most desired cards up to 2001.
Beautiful hardcover book and each page is glossy. I actually picked one up for my card dealer. If you know someone who enjoys cards
as much as we do, then this could be the perfect and simple gift.

Heres the review from Amzon as well:

"The beauty of baseball cards," writes Mike Payne in his brief introduction, "is that you don't have to have played the game to collect the men who do play the game." And the beauty of the 300 particular cards that he's collected here is how much these little pieces of cardboard convey about the evolution of the national pastime and the personalities of the players. From the early cards of Walter Johnson, Ty Cobb, and the record-breaking Honus Wagner that sold at auction for $640,000 to the 1999 Mark McGuire series commemorating his 70th home run, every picture tells a story.

Dividing his volume into the 10 decades of the century, Payne provides appropriate card and collecting history as he displays significant, though not necessarily the most historical or valuable, cards from each. Every card is accompanied by a ballpark price and short commentary on why that card is particularly interesting. For example, a 1952 Mickey Mantle card pictures a pensive, almost troubled young Mantle, avoiding eye contact, his arms folded protectively over his chest. Payne reminds us that Mick's '51 rookie year was a hard one, and the pressures attending the off-season death of his father and indications he'd be replacing the retired Joe DiMaggio in centerfield were enormous. "So, back in '52, being Mickey Mantle wasn't all it was cracked up to be," Payne tells us. "This '52 Bowman card"--valued at between $1,500 and $2,500--"seems to capture the mood at the time." It's amazing how many other cards--from Aaron to Zernial--follow suit, and how much richer the game is simply for their presence. --Jeff Silverman "

Mike Payne was an editor for Beckett so he knows a thing about cards. You wont be disappointed.
Just thought Id throw it out there image

Heres the link to Amazon in case if anyone's interested - http://www.amazon.com/Great-Baseball-Cards-20th-Century/dp/1887432809/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1322060446&sr=8-3

Comments

• I have that book and agree it is very enjoyable. Well worth the $20 or whatever you can find it for. The one very minor complaint is the write up on the '52 Mantle card, perhaps the most iconic card in the hobby. Not only do they use a reprint for the image, but the value is listed at just $1,800! I think someone for got a zero there image
  • YOU ARE CORRECT (AGAIN) LOL.

How can you tell the one in the book was a reprint?

• << <i>How can you tell the one in the book was a reprint? >>

Several factors - first, the color is very off. Pull up an image of a real 52T Mick and compare the background colors. The one in the book is pure blue, while the real one has a dark turquoise type hue to it. Also, the contrast on the card in the book is far to great, making the colors appear not natural.

Either way, that's the one single flaw with the book. The other reproductions and write ups of the cards are excellent. Again, a great book for a gift or for yourself. I find myself flipping through my book several times a year.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    no comment on the book, but the images of the E145 Joe Jackson and the R319 Babe Ruth on the cover are worthless reprints too.

Its not like they are hard cards to find (understatement) ... there are at least 4,000-5,000 of the Ruth out there, and a few hundred of the Jackson too.

usually these book are good for a laugh or two to the advanced PreWar collector

my list...
    #1 1914 Balt News Babe Ruth
    #2 1893 Just So Tobacco Cy Young
    #3 1909 Cabanas Pete Hill
    #4 1903 E107 Breisch-Williams Caramel Honus Wagner
    #5 T210-8 Joe Jackson
    #6 T206 Joe Doyle NY NL
    etc.
    etc.

are these on the list? image
  • It does have the 1914 Babe Ruth you mentioned
    Also Cy Young but from the 1909-11 T206
    As far as Joe Jackson - it list the 1913 Tom Barker Baseball Game Joe Jackson and the...
    1914 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson #103

The book starts at 1900
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    fkw, I really do enjoy a lot of your posts and please take this with a grain of salt. I think that every time you see someone say "rare" about any of their stuff on this site, just repeat to yourself "remember, it's just hyperbole" 3 times in a row, you'd be happier.