Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

First Cap and Ray NEWP in a while...

Anyone wants to wager a guess as to why I stepped outside of my primary collecting interest and snatched this one off eBay? image I might have posted something about a coin like this in... what was it... April of 2007!

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its very nice!
    I wouldnt know the uniqueness in it could it be something with the snake?
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, Roman.

1842 is the year that the first Peso -- a pattern -- was minted in Mexico.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice coin, Roman.

1842 is the year that the first Peso -- a pattern -- was minted in Mexico. >>

And I would love to get my hands on that one image

This particular coin is a Type I. Early in 1842 the die style changed from my favorite 1825-1842 eagle to the one that continued until 1845. There was also an axis change from medal to coin at the same time. It's harder than you think to find an XF+ example of the earlier die style for this year. I would grade this one an XF-40 with some nice crust, to boot! image Weight is on the heavy side - 27.04 grams. Properly edged. Nothing that would make me suspect foul play.

It makes a nice addition to the one I already own (second set of images). If you notice, both coins are exhibiting the same reverse die cracks: at the 6 o'clock that runs up to the bottom pad and from the top of the right wing through the "E" in "MEXICANA".

imageimage
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin. Good to see a raw coin new purchase. Your comments remind me to review die styles and find a favorite.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice coin, Roman.

And I would love to get my hands on that one image >>

I have an image of the obverse die, which is on display at the Museum of the Casa de Moneda de Mexico (the old "Apartado Mint"). Unfortunately, Verizon got rid of FTP access to be able to upload images to my personal website and I am not about to learn how to use their "new and enhanced tool" (yeah, right) to continue to use their site for hosting photos.

So all I can say is this. I own the coin, supposedly the finest of 2 known. If you can swing coming to NYINC, I will try to bring the coin to show you in person. And you can get your hands on it.

I don't believe it is photographed in any literature except one obscure (and expensive) Mexican exhibition catalog and one obscure US auction catalog from the 1960's.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice coin, Roman.

And I would love to get my hands on that one image >>

I have an image of the obverse die, which is on display at the Museum of the Casa de Moneda de Mexico (the old "Apartado Mint"). Unfortunately, Verizon got rid of FTP access to be able to upload images to my personal website and I am not about to learn how to use their "new and enhanced tool" (yeah, right) to continue to use their site for hosting photos.

So all I can say is this. I own the coin, supposedly the finest of 2 known. If you can swing coming to NYINC, I will try to bring the coin to show you in person. And you can get your hands on it.

I don't believe it is photographed in any literature except one obscure (and expensive) Mexican exhibition catalog and one obscure US auction catalog from the 1960's. >>

That's pretty cool! I'd love to see it.

As it stands right now, I'm making plans to attend NYINC.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coin. Good to see a raw coin new purchase. Your comments remind me to review die styles and find a favorite. >>

Here is one of my favorites. 1832 Durango with the European die style of 1832-1842. Not an expensive coin either.

Edited to say it's not my coin, I just like the style.

imageimage
  • Options
    OK, so I finally broke down and signed up for a photobucket account. image
    Sorry for hijacking your thread, Roman.

Here is a (reversed) photo of the obverse die of the above-mentioned 1842 Peso pattern of Mexico.

This die is on semi-public display in Mexico City at the Mint Museum. I have been unable to locate the reverse side die, which is a facing eagle with snake on a nopal without wreath. Perhaps it no longer exists?

As mentioned this is the first Mexican coin with the denomination of Peso, and it is actually struck in Mexico at the Casa de Moneda. It was designed by Luciano Rovira, a talented designer who also designed the one centavo pattern of 1841 (Mo) and the Federal octavos (1/8R) of 1841-1861.

The M and L on either sides of the legend are the assayer's initials, which is correct for the year. The meaning of the T.A. and F are lost to time. (I wonder if T.A. is the engraver and F is the Latin fecit, meaning "made it". This is just speculation on my part.)

As you can well imagine, this die (and the patterns struck with it) are very important pieces of Mexican numismatic history.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this series- nice coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    A very interesting post and worthy of a image