I have only invested $3.00 for some and a small amount more for the others
Thank you
Alan
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth your $3 investment? Definitely. I'd say it could be worth as much as ten bucks or so.

I used to have one of these (a holed example) on my Holey Gold Hat. It's not a gold coin, of course, but being shiny brass, I put it on the hat anyway.

They were often used as gaming counters in the 1800s, I believe. This piece was likely struck in the 19th century, despite the "1768" date.

Here's some more discussion about these (ha- small world- our very own "Sapyx" is the major contributor, under the name "Sap" there.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unusually nice condition, imo.
  • I have added some more coins to this post
    Alan
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well spotted, LordM. That's an old thread. image

There are a few things to note about your pieces. As LordM has already mentioned, they're brass, not gold, though in this condition it's easy to be fooled into thinking they're gold or gold-plated.

Secondly, the two "1790" pieces have the companies that made them encoded into the fake reverse legend: the top one was made by CWB & Co. (C.W.B. ET CO.), the bottom by NCR & Co., both of Birmingham (B.I.R.M.). It's also possible that, given that manufacturing these coins was only borderline legal, the company name is also false, jumbled or encoded.

Thirdly, it should be noted that the dates are fictitious, as LordM stated; they aren't quite as old as the dates imply. I believe that the "spade guinea" type game tokens like these ones date from the first half of the 1800s.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)