Home Sports Talk
Options

The last two games of 2001-2011 Nebraska Football - 81-49. PATHETIC

OK, going 60-3 over a 5-year period and winning 3 NC's, playing for a 4th, and almost playing for a 5th if half of the defense didn't have the flu in 1996 makes one a bit spoiled. So does having a coach who went 255-49-3 over 25 years,.

And yes, my team fired a 58-19 coach who went 33-5 in his first 37 games, but went 25-14 for the rest of them, and many of those losses were really bad at the time.

Then we had the Callahan debaucle, and now we have Bo Pelini, who is the king of the 4-loss season. Nebraska did not a 4-loss season from 1969-1997.

There was a time when a diehard fan would get physically ill after a loss, such as the 1984 and 1994 Orange Bowls. Sorry, but I miss vomitting after a loss, and running around the block screaming after a huge win.

Have times changed? Yes, you cannot have 140 players on a roster anymore with tons of scholarships. But what ticks me off is the complacency that Husker fans now have. 8-3 after getting blown out my Wisconsin and Michigan, and just a hideous loss to Northwestern.

I also do not like Bo Pelini's sideline demeanor. You do not berate officials or young men that you want to perform. His temper has caused Nebraska games because the officials hate him, and his players to lose focus in key situations.

Most people agree that this downward spiral started with the 62-36 loss to Colorado, and the 37-14 Rose Bowl to Miami that they had no business playing in (and would not have under current BCS rules). A 0.623 percentage from that point to now. It sucks.

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What surprises me is how bad the defense is. Bo Pelini is an excellent defensive coach, but perhaps his recruiting ability was suspect. Remember, Suh was one of Callahan's recruits.

On the other hand, the Callahan era was so bad, it may take a couple more years to get to the BCS bowls. I do NOT miss giving up 76 points to Kansas and 70 points to Texas Tech during those horrible Callahan seasons.
  • Options
    I understand, as an Alabama fan we had our Pre-Saban Era. The Mike Dubose years had a little sting to them.

A good head coach is worth the price
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    Plain and simple. When Tom Osborne left, it all went downhill. Now Osborne was not great at winning bowls in the 80's, so you
    were used to great regular seasons, and poor bowl performances. But the 90's spoiled you, and made you forget the 80's.

Then Obsborne left after Nebraska owned the college football world from 94-98.

In came Peterson and Callahan, and Nebraska's once proud tradition was truly comprimised.

Nebraska should have hired Turner Gill. Why Osborne didn't is beyond me. A man with good moral character (like Osborne), and
    a true Husker. It's a decision that will haunt Nebraska for some time to come IMO.

My guess is that your QB from 97 who is getting coaching experience at Oregon will be the next head coach at Nebraska.
    Not sure when this will happen, but that is my guess.
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Plain and simple. When Tom Osborne left, it all went downhill. Now Osborne was not great at winning bowls in the 80's, so you
    were used to great regular seasons, and poor bowl performances. But the 90's spoiled you, and made you forget the 80's.

Then Obsborne left after Nebraska owned the college football world from 94-98.

In came Peterson and Callahan, and Nebraska's once proud tradition was truly comprimised.

Nebraska should have hired Turner Gill. Why Osborne didn't is beyond me. A man with good moral character (like Osborne), and
    a true Husker. It's a decision that will haunt Nebraska for some time to come IMO.

My guess is that your QB from 97 who is getting coaching experience at Oregon will be the next head coach at Nebraska.
    Not sure when this will happen, but that is my guess. >>

After Nebraska lost to Miami in the 1984 Orange Bowl, the 1984 team's defense was awesome. They lost the #1 ranking twice that season (once to Syracuse, and once to OU in a game which they dominated statistically). That was four straight losses to OU.

After the 1987 season, the bowl losing streak started. Losses were still painful in the regular season, but from the 1987 to 1993 seasons they lost every bowl game.

In 1991-1992, the recruiting to team speed started. You could tell that they were somewhat competive in the 1993 Orange Bowl against FSU, and played their guts out the following year against the Charlie Ward-led Seminoles. This of course started the 60-3 run.

Turner Gill is not exactly lighting it up at KU. Scott Frost should have been considered highly for NU's staff. Both of his parents were top-notch athletes, and his two-year tenure at NU was gutty.

FWIW, I am born and raised in NJ, and the story of how I became an NU fan is too long, but I am going on 30 years now since my sophomore year in HS.