Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1940-S RPM#1 Jefferson Observation/Question

BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
Jefferson Crew,

Who has a sample of the 1940-S RPM#1? I've only seen 3 or 4 of these in my collecting years. All of them have this same characteristic. Let me know if your sample has this cud (growth) on top of Monticello? It looks like the BLOB from the movies has invaded Monticello!

This is my PCGS MS66FS sample.

Comments

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    That die was at the end of it's life. That is a neat die break though. Probably not many in LDS like yours.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    I pulled my other 2 RPM#1s for comparison.

PCGS MS66FS
    Raw#1
    Raw#2
    11/23-ebay NGC66FS

The first 2 coins look like they were made almost at one after the other. They are almost identicle! The third was obviously struck much earlier. From this we should assume there are examples totally without the die break? Let me know if you have one and what it looks like.

11/23 edit - I saw this NGC 1941-S MS66FS coin on ebay. This regular S looks like it has a similar die break on top Monticello, but not the die crack at the bottom? Interesting.

Thanks
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every example I've owned (five or six all told) have had something in that spot, ranging fro a small chip to the large cud in the first photo. I've even cherrypicked examples from the die break alone without looking at the mintmark. It may be that the die was damaged very early or even before it was used to strike coins.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Regular S picture added for comparison.
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    The only one I have at the moment looks almost exactly like picture #1.
  • Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2018 11:41AM

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    JeffersonFrog,

Nice to know there are more crazy Jefferson folks out there. Thanks for sharing your sample, nice one! I see you upper right porch railing has been pollished off as well! Does your left side still have some railing showing? Mine still has a fair portion remaining. Also, the die cracks are there as well. Our two MS66's were obviously minted pretty close together.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok i gotta say it

YOU GUYS SUCK!

i've found varieties in virtually every usa coin series except this one!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Tommy

• Options

Tommy

• Options
    If I remember mine does not exhibit the spooge up top but
    does have a die crack along bottom near steps.

I will try and find and let ya know

*if I dont showup in 2 days tell the Olsen twins I love em.

*(something I used to tell Sheriff Sample Slab)

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file