Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1985 OPC Baseball Set Offical Thread?

Is anyone trying to put together the 85 OPC set? I have thought about starting and I need some advice before I dive in. Let me know you thoughts. Also, if you have any graded 85's let me know.
Looking for:
1992 Collectors Edge Football case?

Comments

• Options
    Baseball or Hockey?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    sorry about that baseball only.
    Looking for:
  • Options
    Great set!

tough to put together in graded form. you may be better off buying the cards already graded.

Here are some from my collection:

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Sweet cards I just love the 85 set. Thanks for the scans.
    Looking for:
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    I love this set. I've opened a number of wax boxes, and it's no different than all other OPC...tough. I had thoughts of putting this set together and at one time had quite a few low pop PSA 10's, but sold most. I have a few left:

Ripken (POP 8)
    Puckett (POP 12)
    Gwynn (POP 2)
    Hershiser (POP 7)

I sold my Ryan for $500 to a player collector when it was a POP 3 a few months ago, but 2 more popped recently and I think they went from 2-400$. Also, the POP 1 Sandberg recently sold on eBay for $170.

I'm thinking I sold an Eddie Murray (POP 4) for $25, Langston (POP 3) around $50, and a Gossage (POP 3) around $20 earlier this year on eBay.

The good thing is unopened for this set is readily available and pretty cheap. I know where a vending case is if you get serious. The downside is that it's tough to find gradable stuff without opening a lot. As for buying already graded stuff, there's just not a ton available. There's never really seemed to be any market for this set, but that could change if a few people started chasing it. If you look at the pop report there are a lot of these cards that have never been graded, and for good reason as there is no return on anything other than stars. For now, commons in PSA 10 don't really move on eBay until they get under $10. So unless things change and this set gains some popularity, you'll have to sub raw stuff yourself. You will almost certainly come out way behind financially, so you better love this set!!!

Again, it's one of my favorite designs of the 80's along with the relative scarcity and condition challenges that the OPC brings. Good luck if you decide to put this set together, and I hope you do!!

jbox
  • Options
    Just looked at eBay and noticed that JustCollect has like seven PSA 10 commons on sale for $3.75 all have POPs 4-7 or so if you want to get started! Also, Pete Rose PSA 10 just went for $76.

jbox
  • Options
    I'm looking to do in psa 9 if I find a few 10 good for me. thanks for the reply. 85 is a great set too bad it doesn't have the steroid players.
    Looking for:
  • Options
    1985 OPC is a great set. I was going for that Sandberg OPC 10, but it just got a little too high for me. Will have to settle for my 9. Good luck on your set.

• Options
    That's a good looking Sandberg!

jbox
  • Options
    I see E-bay has a 1985 BGS 9.5 OPC. I have read they grade after market sheet cut cards. Is that true because this card is missing the rough edge?
    Thanks for the info.
    Looking for:
  • Options

<< <i>I see E-bay has a 1985 BGS 9.5 OPC. I have read they grade after market sheet cut cards. Is that true because this card is missing the rough edge?
    Thanks for the info. >>

Yes, that's correct. It's a matter of personal preference I suppose, but I love the rough cut. Some people are really opposed to sheet cut cards, and others don't care. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle, but would always prefer the rough cut if given the choice. I remember buying an OPC PSA 10 on eBay years ago, it was my first, and being like "wtf, how did this thing get a 10, look at that ratty edge!". Of course, now I'm such a sophisticated collector, I prefer it (note sarcasm). BTW, I'm finding myself wanting to chase this set again!

jbox
  • Options
    Jbox jump in I have picked up a few. I have a few boxes unopened on the shelf and I was going to rip for some graded commons. Good luck on the chase.
    Looking for:
  • Options

<< <i>Jbox jump in I have picked up a few. I have a few boxes unopened on the shelf and I was going to rip for some graded commons. Good luck on the chase. >>

Rip away!! Post some scans!!
  • Options
    Does anyone know the commons that haven't been graded from this set?

Looking for: