Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Prongs or No Prongs, which do you prefer in PCGS plastic?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
In all the years I've been playing here, I've never once seen a "forum poll"...the link in the upper left hand corner.

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked for all coins as I like to see more of the coin vs. less of the coin...

But I think the old gaskets should be used upon request so that people can have their newly holdered coins match the rest of their collection if they prefer.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Realone.
  • Options
    PCGS needs to decide what they want to do already. They have been sniffing around prong holders for several years now. NGC released the prong holder awhile back and at first I didnt like it but now I do. You see more of the coin. Either put them in prongs or give the customer a choice. And yes with most businesses the customer is always right.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The odds of appeasing dime guys are never very good. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>i won't be polling until you give "up to the submitter's choice" or something like that as an option. >>

added
  • Options
    To dime guys pronged holders are like guys with big hands and small errr... screw drivers; It kind of makes them look smaller and not up for the job.
  • Options
    I personally prefer seeing the reeds and edges to make sure they are good to go, no embrosisng holes, filing, scratches, dings and so on.
  • Options
    As far as photos go, I strongly dislike photos with the prongs, you're not seeing the whole of the (round) coin.
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The prongs take getting used to but there is not such a strong aversion to them that'll make me stop buying PCGS holders because unlike others "collectors" I can accept change.

I'm in a bit of disbelief about how some people vow not to buy another PCGS coin because they can't stomach those new prong inserts. It's only an insert, get over it.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Given a choice, I'll pass on them.

Not given a choice, I'm glad they're clear and I'll not change my habits due to it.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope we have a choice, and my choice would be no prongs.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I don't care if it has prongs or not.

The coin is still there.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever happened to "buy the coin, not the holder"?
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whatever happened to "buy the coin, not the holder"? >>

Shhh, the more people that hate it, the greater the chances of cherrypicking a nice one in a PCGS prong holder image
  • Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭
    No prongs or no submissions.....................period!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The prongs that are clear are okay with me. But, I have to say they are way, way too large!

Dang things don't need to be that big, do they?

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    The customer needs to be happy or the business just might fail. I would dare say most of us want the option to have prongs or not.
    And the customer is always right. PCGS business might be up, but it can always go down, harsh but true. Maybe CAC should have holders. Now that's an idea.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    the prong thing ........................... hate it /.................................pierre image
  • Options
    uofa1285uofa1285 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭

<< <i>the prong thing ........................... hate it /.................................pierre image >>

I agree with you!
    Visit my eBay Store to see my (mostly) overpriced Rainbow Toned PCGS/NGC coins! IshopCoinShows4You
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may take a little time but gradually all will get used to the prongs, I think it is great that both pcgs and ngc now have pronged holders.
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's about time we had a poll on this. I hope PCGS is listening.

Submitter's choice, please.

I dislike them. PCGS's are far too big. And NGC's conceal rim damage. Both spoil photography.
    Lance.
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is why we need the new pronged holder
    Would you want this gasket wrapped around your coin?

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    Can you explain more about this "gasket"? I've never seen one or heard about it . . . (although i do see it in your picture)

thanks

Mark
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you explain more about this "gasket"? I've never seen one or heard about it . . . (although i do see it in your picture)

thanks

Mark >>

It's just the old standard PCGS gasket. It was not uncommon for them to "melt" around the
    edges of a coin. Never bothered me all that much. I'm still mostly not a fan of the prongs for
    reeded edge coins. People who think submitters will get an option on this are living in a
    fantasy world, IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file