Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fernando Valenzuela Fleer rookie card

I just came across this Valenzuela rookie card and noticed a few things:
1: His name is spelled wrong.
2: The card is severely off center.

Are all the Fleer cards for Fernando like this? Whats the value of this card?
Thanks in advance!

Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.

Comments

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    That is the uber rare MC version of that card. Easily worth $1000+ if it grades out PSA 9 or better.
  • Options
    You noticed a COUPLE things. And it's just a beat-to-hell uncorrected error card with little to no value. image
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Calling barfvader.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    I remember his rookie season, and after every great game he pitched, they would interview him
    and he would always say the same thing (he didn't speak much english).

My younger brother and I would laugh so hard to "I fee gud. Pitched gud."
    That was his answer to all questions.
  • Options
    To answer your questions....it's an uncorrected error, meaning they were all produced with the name incorrectly spelled. There is no added value due to it. The other question, centering, it's severely off-center which greatly reduces the value of any card. You can also see that it's, what I call a "diamond cut" or "slant cut", the card isn't square at the corners.
  • Options
    I hate early 80s Fleer with a fiery vengeance..... So buttugly and sloppy
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hate early 80s Fleer with a fiery vengeance..... So buttugly and sloppy >>

Oh yes, but that is just the way some guys like them.
  • Options
    jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Whenever he got two strikes on a right handed batter, you could guarantee that Vin Scully would say, "Here comes the Screwgee!" And when he'd (invariably) strike the hitter out: "Got him!"
  • Options

<< <i>That is the uber rare MC version of that card. Easily worth $1000+ if it grades out PSA 9 or better. >>

Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    the 1981 Fleer set is a dog! Most if not all of the so called "errors" were done intentionally by this lame company to try to spark interest in their cards when competing with longtime Topps, and newcomer Donruss. For this fact alone the set is always going to be garbage in my eyes.

Fernando is a borderline HOFer IMO..... How many modern starting pitchers had more Shutouts than their age by the time they were 25 years old? (26 shutouts)

Starting pitchers like Andy "Mr. Overrated" Pettitte should never have their name mentioned in the same sentence with Hall of Fame when you can only muster up 4 shutouts in your entire career....
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whenever he got two strikes on a right handed batter, you could guarantee that Vin Scully would say, "Here comes the Screwgee!" And when he'd (invariably) strike the hitter out: "Got him!" >>

Happy 85th Birthday Vin Scully!

Greencow, you are slacking off.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.