Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bruttian Croton 500 BC Stater Photo Graded

I just received my first Ancient Coin submission back from across the street. This was all new to me. I expected a bunch of body bags to be honest. This was one of my favorites and although it was graded and I got this awesome 8" x 5" photo, they didn't holder the coin. The reason given was "fragility"? I actually like this service and wouldn't mind getting more graded the same way.

Funny thing is, this was my first coin, lite or darkside, that has received a stat grade!image

Anyone have some experience with this?

Larry
Dabigkahuna

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Excellent piece, I have had a couple of early British 1/2 d's that were not holdered for the same reason.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, you got a star AND 5/5 in both categories! First time I've seen that! image

(In fact, this is the first ancient I can recall seeing with a star on the label. Congrats!)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

Thanks!

(In fact, this is the first ancient I can recall seeing with a star on the label. Congrats!)

It is my first "star" coin ever! image

I called just to see if they offered the photo certification as a regular service but the answer was no. They said they only do it in special circumstances, unfortunately.

This would be just the ticket for PCGS, imho. Photo certify for Ancients! I know I would like to give them some business.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I called just to see if they offered the photo certification as a regular service but the answer was no. They said they only do it in special circumstances, unfortunately. >>

Unfortunate indeed, as I've tried their $3/coin "Internet imaged" service and it sucks slimy boulders. It is AWFUL. Not that I expected much for $3/coin, but the images I got I could've done much better myself... on my scanner. In fact, it looks as though they used a scanner themselves, and not as good a one as I have.

To be fair, I never tried their more expensive photo options, but I didn't really understand what exactly was being offered when I read those descriptions, either. If they did something like this, like they've done on your coin there, it would be worth almost as much as PCGS' TrueView, maybe. Almost. I could see myself paying $12-15 for images like that, or going with a higher service tier, if they were offered.

One thing I did just discover is that my ancient coins I've submitted DO have images (in the slabs) on the cert number verification. So it would appear that you do get some photos with an NGC Ancients submission in any event. They're not as great as the picture above, but serviceable. And seemingly a tiny bit better than the $3/coin images I paid for with my last world coin submission.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.