Home Precious Metals
Options

Calling all Mexican .999 silver experts, I need help.

I figure there has to be someone here who would know more about these 2 pieces than I can find out. All that I've really found out is mintages...5000 for the 1987 12 onza and 500 (which seems pretty cool) for the 1987 5 onza. I also gather that they did come in special cases and had a COA, which I dont have either of for either. Can't find anything about values. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Anyone?
  • Options
    I collect Mexican and have one of each, unfortunately they one bring $20-$40 over melt. There is a lot of rare, and I mean RARE Mexican coinage that doesn't get the respect it deserves.

A 12 ounce just sold on eBay for $600 (which blew me away) and I know where a 5 ounce is for $200

TN
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I like that 5-ouncer depicting the warrior crying over his slain lover. The mountains in the background are said to show the same thing. I forgot where this is in Mexico but we lived near there once when I was a kid and my dad still has one of those Mexican paintings (on black felt) showing the same scene.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I like that 5-ouncer depicting the warrior crying over his slain lover. The mountains in the background are said to show the same thing. I forgot where this is in Mexico but we lived near there once when I was a kid and my dad still has one of those Mexican paintings (on black felt) showing the same scene

for anyone that cares, this is the story behind what is being depcited on the 5 onza round

A 12 ounce just sold on eBay for $600 (which blew me away) and I know where a 5 ounce is for $200

Do you have the item number for the 12 oz that sold? All I see is one that is a BIN still live for $685.

I can't find any recent activity for the 5 oz'er. With a mintage of only 500 and the story behind it, you'd think it would bring stoopid money image

Thanks for the help guys.
  • Options
    Very interesting story behind the 5 oz. coin. I have several Onza's in my collection including a few BU 1997's but the best thing I have is a complete government packaged 1997 proof set limited to 800 sets.