Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver Art? Did I score anything worthwhile today?

Actually got out of work on time today and thought I'd make a run to my favorite local coin shop to see if anything unusual was in his basket of what he calls "sh*t that I just bought over the counter." I picked these out for no other reason that I just liked the design or thought that they just might have a little collectibility to them. Gotta love that little 1/2 oz silver ball marker image
See anything worth puttin' back?
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I will take "S%&%" like that everyday. Did you get today's pricing? image

I will buy the two Texas rounds if you don't want them. image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Only 1 Texas round Spooly lol...it's the front and back of it.
  • Options
    The Foster Mint 1/2 oz Silver Eagle appears to be catch to me. That 1/2 oz Eagle is part of the Foster Eagle set that came out in the late 1960's. From what few ebay auctions that I have seen on Foster Mint bars, they will fetch a premium but I believe that the premium will depend on the particular bar. With that said, I am not sure what winning bid that a stand-alone 1/2-oz silver Foster Mint art bar would fetch on ebay.

The "Batman" silver round is a good catch IMO. I believe that the Batman silver round is based on the Batman movie to came out in 1989 but I also believe that it is a common silver art round but it will probably fetch a premium on ebay because it is Batman. I am not sure what premium it would fetch on ebay since I do not track any silver rounds. There are two other rounds that completes the set and those two other silver art rounds are the "Joker" and the "Batmobile". I honestly do not know what premium that the whole set would fetch on ebay.

The other silver art bars pictured are common silver art bars that might fetch ebay winning bids that range between $5 and $10 over current spot silver. The "Coin-A-Rama City" silver art bar is a Mother-Lode Mint bar and that is common-minted art bar. The 1973 "Yankee Doodle Spirit of '76" art bar is also a common-minted bar. I think that most United States Coinage Corp (USC) art bars are fairly common. The Hospital Trust National Bank appears to be a commercial silver bar but I am not very familiar with it.

I am not familiar with the other silver rounds.

Overall, I would say that the Foster Mint 1/2 oz bar is a winner IMO with the "Batman" silver art round being a "dark horse" of the group.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Foster mint 1/2 oz ingot is fairly scarce.
    A lot of people hype the price on ebay but I think the true value is having the entire set.
    It will sell for a premium, but not much after ebay fees.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I like the Batman roundimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>The Foster mint 1/2 oz ingot is fairly scarce.
    A lot of people hype the price on ebay but I think the true value is having the entire set.
    It will sell for a premium, but not much after ebay fees.
    image >>

Thanks for posting a picture of the complete set. I will have to agree with you in that the true value is in the entire set. Generally speaking, complete sets of a particular scarce silver art bar set that is in high demand will do well on ebay. I have not tracked an ebay auction for the entire Foster Mint Eagle set but I am sure that there have been complete sets of Foster Mint silver eagles that were sold on ebay in the past. In past auctions, I have only seen individual Foster Mint silver eagle bars sell on ebay and it is usually the 1-oz Foster Mint 1-oz bar with a mint year of 1969, 1971, or 1972 that is stamped on the front of it.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. Awesome set Brian!

I posted another thread about these 2 Mexican pieces. Does anyone know anything about them? I do know mintage and how they were originally packaged, but I'm wanting to know apx. value. Thank you.
    mexican silver