Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

BST STORE CLEARANCE - make an offer on this entire lot- I've disclosed my costs

I'm looking to simplify, and bring my vestpocket dealer stock down to a dozen "quality" pieces or so at most.

Which isn't to suggest there's not some "quality" here- I'm just looking to move more into the $50-500 material, so this stuff has become clutter.

So let's sweep out my BST store a little.

MY TOTAL ESTIMATED COST ON THIS LOT IS $274.60.*

* Not including the Dalton & Hamer Conder token reference CD, which cost me 20 bucks and is thrown in for free.

* Or the Wheaties, which are nothing too special but I'm adding them for free, too. I didn't factor either of those in to the cost.

And of course I'll pay the shipping and insurance.

MAKE ME AN OFFER ON THE WHOLE THING- EVERYTHING HERE, AS ONE LOT. OFFERS MAY BE CASH OR TRADE.

Anybody wanna take this stuff off my hands?

imageRoman Empire: bronze antoninianus of CARUS (282-283 AD), posthumous issue struck ca. 283 AD
CARUS, Augustus 282-283 AD. Posthumous AE antoninianus, Siscia mint, ca. 283 AD. Obverse- DIVO CARO PARTHICO, radiate head right. Reverse- CONSECRATIO AVG, flaming altar, A to right, SMSXXI in exergue. RIC-111 var., Cohen-23, Venera-4341. 21 mm, 3 g. Ex-Ancient Imports, 05/2007, Harmer Rooke 1988.
MY COST: about $55.00.
(I was asking $45.00 on BST.)

imageIreland: Associated Irish Mine Co. "Cronebane Halfpenny" Conder token, 1789, VF+ (borderline XF)
Nice medium brown surfaces and no problems. The images are scans, not photos. The obverse features a bishop in a mitered hat- hey, you gotta love some of the cool designs on these old tokens, right? I'm too lazy to look up the Dalton & Hamer variety (there are a LOT of varieties of this issue), but hey... y'know what? Buy it, and I'll throw in a CD copy of the D&H book I bought here, so you can attribute it yourself. Apparently the person I bought the CD from didn't know it wasn't legal for resale, but I won't be reselling the (bootleg?) CD. I'll be giving it to you as a bonus. (I paid 20 bucks for it.) Who wants a nifty Irish token and a free CD of the classic reference on 18th Century British provincial tokens?
My cost $30.00 (Paid $20 for the CD, too but I'll throw it in for free, as mentioned.)
(I was asking $46.00 on BST for the coin and CD together.)

imageUSA: Coronet (or "Modified Matron Head") large cent, 1838
A nice brown coin with decent surfaces and no major problems or distractions. I'd would say it's right on the cusp between F15 and VF20 in terms of technical grade. I don't know the Newcomb variety.
My cost: $34.20.
(I was asking $44.00 on BST.)

imageUSA: Flying Eagle cent, 1857, G+
I'd call this one a G6, personally. The eagle's a tiny bit scuffy but not bad. The coin doesn't have any major problems, really.
My cost: $20.00
(I was asking $28.00 on BST.)

imageUSA: copper-nickel Indian Head cent, 1860 (Round Bust), G+ (borderline VG)
This early Indian is right on the line between G6 and VG8. Some of "....RTY" in LIBERTY is visible on the headband. Lower grade, but decent.
My cost: $12.00.
(I was asking $15.00 on BST.)

imageUSA: Indian Head cent, 1889, EF+ to AU
This little Indian is pretty sharp. It's got choice EF to AU details and looks better than the picture. There are some rim nicks at 2:00 on the obverse and 11:00 on the reverse. Stick it in an album and you might not even see those, though.
My cost: $9.00.
(I was asking $11.00 on BST.)

imageUSA: Indian Head cent, 1909, G+ (borderline VG)
This final-year Indian is on the borderline between G6 and VG8. Some of "....RTY" in LIBERTY shows on the headband. Not counting the more valuable "S" mint cents, this is the date to have in the 20th century pieces. I guess fewer were produced in 1909 because production shifted over to the new Lincoln cents in the latter part of the year. I've recycled the previous owner's pictures above, but the color's all wrong in them. I tried reshooting it without much luck, but I did get one obverse picture which at least shows the color a little bit better.
My cost: $8.00.
(I was asking $11.00 on BST.)

imageUSA: 25-piece lot of all different pre-1935 Wheat cents, average circulated, P-D-S mints, plus bonus coins
Nothin' special here- just your typical low-end Wheaties- but they're all somewhat earlier dates, and all have different date and mintmark combinations. (I'm tired and don't really feel like transcribing the list of dates in this description, so just look at the scan, would you? - Thanks.) I'll add five bonus coins not seen in the picture, to bring it up to a total of 30 pieces. These are: 1935-S, 1936-S, and 1937-S average circulated, 1951-D gem BU full Red, and a 1950-P full red BU with a small planchet clip at 5:00. This "error" is only about a 1% clip, which looks like post-mint damage but isn't- it's a bonafide clip, just teeny-tiny. It doesn't even intrude fully into the rim, but just looks like somebody pinched the coin. Which the mint machinery no doubt did. Not really worth a premium as an error, but call it a fun freebie nonetheless. Add in one of my custom wooden dollars and a small prehistoric fossil shark tooth, and we've got ourselves an inexpensive package full o' fun for some discerning young collector, perhaps.
My cost: not much.
(I was asking $9.00 on BST, or $7.00 if somebody bought something else there.)

imageLove token on USA Seated Liberty dime, 1861 host coin w/ Old English "I" (or "L")
Here's a neat love token. Of course I'm biased- I think all love tokens are neat. If nothing else, they're one-of-a-kind pieces of folk art, on a coin! Some are miniature masterpieces, too. This piece isn't quite masterpiece-level, but it's nice enough. It could be perfect for you if you want a trinket to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War, perhaps, or if you have the initial "I" or "L". (The Old English letter on the reverse is engraved like an "L", but with a shortish lower extension that makes it look more like an "I", so I guess it could be either, as you please.)
My cost: about $10.00.
(I was asking $16.00 on BST.)

imageUSA: Barber dime, 1914, VF+
Here's a handsome Barber dime with strong detail. It would look good in a bookshelf album. It's off-white and may or may not have been dipped in the past, but it looks all right to me in hand. Bear in mind that the pictures are scans and not photographs. I call it VF30 and others have concurred with that opinion.
My cost: $12.00.
(I was asking $14.00 on BST.)

imageGilt brass "Bremen" aviation medal commemorating the first east-to-west transatlantic flight in 1928
Here's a fascinating piece of history for you. This early aviation commemorative medal celebrates the first east-to-west transatlantic flight (Ireland to Canada) in April of 1928, less than a year after Lindbergh did it from west to east. It's also quite attractive, with prooflike gilt surfaces and a bit of cartwheel luster. A little bit of the gilt has rubbed off the high points of the portraits of the three men, showing brass beneath, but otherwise it looks probably just like it did in 1928. I sold a much lesser example of this medal (VF+, with some digs and no gilt remaining) in 2008, for around fifteen bucks. One side bears the legend "FIRST EAST TO WEST TRANSATLANTIC FLIGHT - APRIL 12-13, 1928", and the names of the three flyers: BARON VON HUENEFELD*, MAJOR FITZMAURICE*, and CAPTAIN KOEHL*. Hey, check out the schnozzle and the misshapen skull of Baron von Huenefeld! That wasn't the most flattering portrait of him, I'd say. According to the Wikipedia article about him, he was dead of stomach cancer within about a year of the flight. His photo sort of bears out the pointy nose seen on the medal. The reverse of the medal shows the Junkers W33 aircraft "Bremen" flying over the ocean below a cloud bank. Below that is an American-looking eagle flanked by flags, with the surrounding legend "BALDONNEL AIRDROME APRIL 12 - GREENLY ISLAND APRIL 13, 1928". There is also a tiny maker's name at the bottom: "WHITEHEAD - HOAG". Whitehead & Hoag were a New York firm who produced political campaign buttons, I believe.
My cost: $18.40.
(I was asking $24.00 on BST.)

imageScrew-top coin bezels in assorted sizes
The cent-sized bezels are gold-colored while all of the others are silver colored. I would not recommend these for valuable coins, obviously, but they make nice inexpensive mounts for cheap keepsake coins. A few years back I took some of those gold-plated Statehood quarters from my home state and put some in these bezels, and they sold very nicely at my antique mall booth. I gave my lady boss a Peace dollar in one of these as a Christmas gift, and she was happy. Put some common Indian cents, Buffalo nickels, or Merc dimes in these and I'll bet you'll find them popular. Use needle nose pliers to gently open the crown screw, put the coin in, and screw the crown back on. Be careful not to overtighten or you could snap the stem off.

CENT size (gold color): 9 available
NICKEL size (silver color): 10 available
DIME size (silver color): 10 available
QUARTER size (silver color): 22 available
HALF DOLLAR size (silver color): 8 available
LARGE DOLLAR (Morgan/Peace/Ike, not ASE) size (silver color): 7 available
Keychain attachment (the typical inexpensive kind you see on most novelty key rings): 4 available
TOTAL: 66 pieces. My cost: around $1.00 each, I think. (The keychains were free.)
(I was asking $2.00 each on BST, and sold a few. Sold a few in my antique mall booth for $2.00-3.00 each, as well.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I wasn't suggesting somebody pay me the $270-something to meet my cost.

Make me an offer- even a lowball offer.

Chances are, I'll reject most truly lowball offers, but I won't be insulted.

And maybe you've got something to trade that's of basically the same ballpark value, but which didn't cost YOU that much. A trade could possibly make this a win-win for both of us, who knows? (We won't know until you make a trade offer or two.)

If you prefer, I can split off the bezel lot from the rest of it, and try to sell or swap those as a separate lot. With the holidays coming, they'd be a fun way to jazz up some inexpensive coins to give to non-collectors.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.