Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Set registry question

If a set is retired, can the same cards end up in someone else's registry without removing them from the original set?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, after you retire your set, you can sell the cards and still have them in your retired set. I don't like that rule.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    From the Set Registry Rules Page:

You should retire a set from Current status when you have sold or broken up the set. To retire a set, simply delete the entire set and inventory in "My Sets." (Note that if you delete items from your set one by one, it will also reduce your ATF set completion.) If your set was at least 90% complete at the time of deletion, it will remain in the All Time Finest category and will be listed with a "viewable" status. If you still own the items in a retired set that was 90% complete at the time of retirement and the set remains in the All Time Finest category, those same certification numbers can not be re-used by you in a new set you may start in the same category. Should you wish to re-use those items, please contact customer service first to delete the All Time Finest set from the Registry.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a coincidence. Today I retired a set for the first time. I went to all time finest and viewed the set to see if scans dissappeared. Still there. Twenty years to put it together. Gone in one week.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    I am on the verge of retiring a set from my registery.I am not going to sell any of the cards.The set is currently a Master Set 100% complete however the cost of trying to upgrade the set to a higher grade is much too costly however I plan on building a basic set using the same cards as my lower graded cards are the variations which are too hard to find or well over what I want to spend on them.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    unless you are selling the set, what is the value of retiring it?
  • This May, I had the top current set in a particular football player's registry set. On the last day to update for the awards, a retired set was un-retired so that it was #1 again and got the registry award. Then, a couple days later was re-retired. Then he actually sold it (on these boards). I found it amusing that someone would go to so much trouble so that they could have a little "2011" next to their retired set rather than it being next to my name. Of the top five all-time sets in this particular registry, three of them have the same Pop 1 PSA 10 listed, so obviously that card has moved from owner to owner.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • That is a frustrating story powdered. You are being too kind with your comments. PSA should at least move the Current Finest to the top of the page. A little programming does wonders. The All-Time Finest is useless when so many of the 'retired' sets are simply the same sets sold to different people. It's funny when Mastro Auctions or Mint State is listed at the top of the All-Time Finest. Sure. The registry is for collectors. - Kevin
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    retired and un-retired... or, hidden and un-hidden???

Definitely a difference there!

In sets with stiff competition, why show your hand all year long? I see nothing wrong with hiding it all year long and then turning it back on at awards time to get your just reward!
  • PSA has some nifty programmers. Perhaps an option where the user can turn off the names of the hidden sets?

1. (blank since it's hidden)
    2. Name of set
    3. Name of set
    4. (blank since it's hidden)

Under this approach the owner of the hidden set can see his set and enjoy his standing. Others do not have to spend time reading the names of sets they cannot see. Perhaps this might be a nice compromise.