Home Precious Metals
Options

Left the bank today. . .

derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
. . with all of my savings after closing the account as well as the checking account. Seeing how Bank of America could never get any fees out of me they came up with a new rule: $5 fee for EACH electronic transaction over the first three involving a savings account. I noticed the charges in my statement, called and inquired and was informed that the first three electronic transfers into or out of a savings account are free - anything over would generate a $5 fee per transaction. I asked the lady on the phone where such a rule came from and she says "federal requirement." I said you better check again and I'll need your name so that when I talk to my congressman he'll know who to see. She says hold on, comes back in a few minutes and says BOA rule. I said rule my accounts closed, be there in the morning.

This savings account was tied to one of my paypal accounts. I would transfer paypal balances to savings and then transfer to checking on-line. The manager at my credit union, who gladly took custody of the money I pulled from BOA was happy to see me and assured me no such shinanigans at the credit union.

Bank of America account holders, be forewarned.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    I "voted with my feet" a few years back when a Chase rep told me there was a $10 fee for a copy of a previous months' statement. Walked out a few minutes later with a bunch of cash. While she was counting (with the bank manager looking over her shoulder), I informed them the only reason why was because of the (attempted) fee. The bank manager hurries away, only to return a short time later to tell me the copy would be provided at no charge. Too late.

Those funds found their way into a credit union later that same day.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Was the fee hitting the savings account? (Just want to know where to look).
  • Options

<< <i>Was the fee hitting the savings account? (Just want to know where to look). >>

yes, a couple of them were transfers for less than $15 from paypal.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bank serves windmill cookies and coffee. Everybody is happy.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    I switched to a credit union 3 years ago. I slept in a Hampton Inn.image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    when WAMU existed it was free everything. then last year sometime it was $10 a month for checking if you didn't have a balance over XXXX amount (i can't remember) and only used the account for eBay/PayPal w/ no CC link. and as soon as i got the money in it went out until i had a balance on the 15th i was hit with the $10, (i don't read the fine print when they make changes...my bad, but bye bye.

we still have everything at BofA; business, personal, savings, trust, even an unsecured LOC.

my wife started working there 35 years ago..(no longer)..but still can't crowbar her away to go to a CU, but with the ATM fees that were reneged and other stuff going on.

maybe if i tell her about all i've learned here since i joined, that would persuade her. i guess i really am a lousy salesman...i if can't.
  • Options

<< <i>when WAMU existed it was free everything. then last year sometime it was $10 a month for checking if you didn't have a balance over XXXX amount (i can't remember) and only used the account for eBay/PayPal w/ no CC link. and as soon as i got the money in it went out until i had a balance on the 15th i was hit with the $10, (i don't read the fine print when they make changes...my bad, but bye bye.

we still have everything at BofA; business, personal, savings, trust, even an unsecured LOC.

my wife started working there 35 years ago..(no longer)..but still can't crowbar her away to go to a CU, but with the ATM fees that were reneged and other stuff going on.

maybe if i tell her about all i've learned here since i joined, that would persuade her. i guess i really am a lousy salesman...i if can't. >>

For what it's worth - If a too big too jail bank were to fail, BOA is at the top of the list. Check out some of Reggie Middleton's research on BOA.

• Options
    Find a good solid local bank or credit union, screw 'em. My wife "voted with her feet" last year when a mega bank closed our local branch, "for our convenience." She had enough that they didn't want to let the account go, it was so sweet.image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    @ deeryb and @ yellowkid

very good points

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I moved most of my money out of BOA to a Credit Union and Everbank.

I told the wife to be ready to rush to BOA and ATM's if a bank run starts! (frown)
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I moved most of my money out of BOA to a Credit Union and Everbank.

I told the wife to be ready to rush to BOA and ATM's if a bank run starts! (frown) >>

I've been using Everbank you years and love it for a second bank. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    I closed my acct in early OCT with BOFA. Includibg an acct set up by my grandparents for me.
    Lets just say they fought tooth and nail to keep those accts.
    But i walked out with the cash.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

fees?!?
    i don't pay no stinkin fees!!!

<< <i>+1 for credit unions. >>

+2

last bank i used was security pacific.

EDIT: did you get any rolls on the way out?
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar deal with WF last month. I told them I'm not paying for their portion of FINREG. After two visits and finally talking to the right person, no fees. I actually like WF. They've been pretty good to me. Sidenote: I saw 'Too Big To Fail' on a plane last week and was reminded that they were the only bank in the room that tried to balk Hank.