Home Sports Talk

Bye Bye NBA!

This makes me smile!!!!!!!!!

Say good bye to this season. Next year, if there is a NBA, there will be much less fans.

I see a decrease in 1999-2000 Topps NBA series 1 value, maybe a buyers market for newer shiny b-ball cards.
Scoreboard Malfunction

Comments

• bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Figures; my Mavs finally break through and Stern finds a new way to stick it to Cuban.image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the NBA players will go join the OWS protests. LOL

• << <i>This makes me smile!!!!!!!!!

Say good bye to this season. Next year, if there is a NBA, there will be much less fans.

I see a decrease in 1999-2000 Topps NBA series 1 value, maybe a buyers market for newer shiny b-ball cards. >>

While I agree with the sentiment superficially, my problem is with the ordinary Joes that work at the arenas and the loss of local businesses that will follow. F- the owners and the players and their millions, it really crushes the poor guys making $10/hour working at the arena or nearby.
    Joel
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just do not see the owners or the players being willing to simply toss out an entire season of basketball. Especially the players since how else are the majority of them [not the Superstars who can get big bucks playing overseas and from endorsements] going to go to earn millions of dollars.

I can see this labor strife continuing into December, but eventually I would think a deal will be reached which will allow the NBA to play a shortened regular season [40-50 games] commencing sometime in January. I can even see President Obama and/or Congress getting involved [phone calls, speechs, calls for a Congressional investigation, etc.] to twist the arms of both sides to cut a deal.

However, if the complete season is tossed, I doubt that the general public will care much at all. Now if we were talking about the NFL the general public would be in an uproar.

For me, I can get my fill of hoops by watching some of the local college, jc or high school games.

• Being a Cavs fan, if there is no season we will be picking high in the draft again. Thanks LeBron for heading south. (Your mom still went West)
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just do not see the owners or the players being willing to simply toss out an entire season of basketball. Especially the players since how else are the majority of them [not the Superstars who can get big bucks playing overseas and from endorsements] going to go to earn millions of dollars.

I can see this labor strife continuing into December, but eventually I would think a deal will be reached which will allow the NBA to play a shortened regular season [40-50 games] commencing sometime in January. I can even see President Obama and/or Congress getting involved [phone calls, speechs, calls for a Congressional investigation, etc.] to twist the arms of both sides to cut a deal.

However, if the complete season is tossed, I doubt that the general public will care much at all. Now if we were talking about the NFL the general public would be in an uproar.

For me, I can get my fill of hoops by watching some of the local college, jc or high school games. >>

I agree with that outcome - the players will give in probably around that time. In any event, my feeling is the college game of basketball is so superior to the pro game, much more interesting and entertaining. For one thing the pro announcers almost everytime there's a dunk, shouting and dramatizing it like it's some sort of miraculous event - gives me a headache. And I could go on and on why I have almost no interest at all in the pro game any longer.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This makes me smile!!!!!!!!!

I see a decrease in 1999-2000 Topps NBA series 1 value, maybe a buyers market for newer shiny b-ball cards. >>

While I agree with the sentiment superficially, my problem is with the ordinary Joes that work at the arenas and the loss of local businesses that will follow. F- the owners and the players and their millions, it really crushes the poor guys making $10/hour working at the arena or nearby. >>

Yes the trickle down effect is what gets me angry about the situation, you got these althetes making a ton of money as it is and the guy who needs the income to support his family is who suffers.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morons. This was the best deal the players would get, as they have no leverage. Their clue was the small market owners hating the deal -- they are actually HAPPY the players shot themselves in the foot.

Everyone will be much worse off now, no matter how this plays out.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks LeBron for heading south. (Your mom still went West) >>

LMAO
  • As of now, I have watched just as many NBA games as I had at this point last season.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Being a Cavs fan, if there is no season we will be picking high in the draft again. Thanks LeBron for heading south. (Your mom still went West) >>

The players are filing for decertification of their union. Once that happens, the draft goes bye-bye.

Tabe
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will not miss it.......MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • NBA players are either too stupid or too cokcy (probably both) to realize just how much they've messed up with this lockout.
    In addition to the effects no NBA season will have on average workers who make their living in the sport [trainers, scouts, concessions, security, ushers, etc.], just think how horrible things will be for the all of the people who congregate around the NBA players during the season [groupies, posse, homies, peeps, hangers on, mooching relatives, strippers, custom jewelry designers, tattoo artists, personal assistants, PR representatives, bailbondsmen, etc.]image
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    As a former Sonics fan, the NBA died years ago.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭
    Did they not remember what happened regarding the MLB strike of 1994? And that was only losing the World Series!! Imagine what NBA fans (what's left of them) will be like should we indeed lose a whole season.

Oh well, at least I got my Cats! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Did they not remember what happened regarding the MLB strike of 1994? And that was only losing the World Series!! Imagine what NBA fans (what's left of them) will be like should we indeed lose a whole season.

Oh well, at least I got my Cats! image >>

90% of the players in the NBA right now don't even REMEMBER 1994. And I doubt most of them are well-versed in either history or finance.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • The WNBA is still there for your viewing enjoyment.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Just fold it up and make it go away forever...no one cares anymore (as the recent survey proved with only 12% of people saying they "miss" the NBA)
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a fan of the NBA for as long as I can remember. I guess that puts me in the 12% that will miss it.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The WNBA is still there for your viewing enjoyment.

Ron

image >>

It's just like those cloth bags at the grocery store; they're both too "PC" for my tastes... image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Do you think the owners will look to start a season with scab players?
    The timing for this could not have been worse. The NBA was just getting a resurgence in popularity, now they will be back to square one like baseball in 1995.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i'm excited, this means more college BB and hockey on ESPN, rather than a bunch of big donks dunking.

i did enjoy the "Showtime" era of the Lakers and the Bulls great years. Kobe was great and Nash, too.
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do you think the owners will look to start a season with scab players? >>

I know this was not possible before, is it now possible if the union completes decertification? Or does the face it's a lockout still prevent that from happening?
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

• << <i>Do you think the owners will look to start a season with scab players? >>

i will play for $25,000 a season.....
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am also in the 12% that will miss the NBA.

Now hockey could go and I wouldn't know the difference.

Last game I watched was in 1980 when the U.S.A. beat Russia!!!image

Last pro game...........................never watched one.
    I'm in the 12%
    Basketball was just getting fun again in Chicago.

• << <i>I'm in the 12%
    Basketball was just getting fun again in Chicago. >>

yeah they have a great team again..but i cannot stand noah.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
    NBA is back with a triple header on Chritmas.image
  • I will be watching 'A Christmas Story' all day long.
    Scoreboard Malfunction

<< <i>I will be watching 'A Christmas Story' all day long. >>

You'll shoot your eye out!
  • Now I only watch the NBA to see Lebron James choke at crunch time. The Bullets/Wizards have been so bad for so long remind me of the Orioles, and it stinks getting in and out of Verizon Center.
  • The triple header for Christmas, Bobcats vs T-Wolves, Cavs vs. Warriors, and Nets vs Jazz. Thats my guess.
  • I thought I heard Dallas - Miami on Christmas Day. I could be wrong.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I heard Dallas - Miami on Christmas Day. I could be wrong. >>

It's the games that were already scheduled:

Heat/Mavs
    Celtics/Knicks
    Bulls/Lakers

Greencrow was just being a imageimage
  • What will the backlash be?

Will there be a drop in attendance?

Will ratings suffer?

Will it be as bad as it was for MLB?

Who will be the 'Cal Ripken's streak saves baseball' person?

More than five questions in one post is a party foul.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What will the backlash be?

Will there be a drop in attendance?

Will ratings suffer?

Will it be as bad as it was for MLB?

Who will be the 'Cal Ripken's streak saves baseball' person?

More than five questions in one post is a party foul. >>

There will be no back lash. Attendance was dropping no matter what. Ratings will be fine in the post season. No it won't matter like it did for MLB. MLB is often defined by its continual regular season, the NBA and NHL are really only diversions until their post seasons start.
    The NBA regular season is too long. The NBA regular season game is one where one on one (or one on two, three, four or even five) play with a "Superstar" [however you define same] hogging the ball and shooting as the shot clock expires is all too common. This type of play can be very boring, even if the Superstar is Kobe Bryant hitting a fall away three pointer with two defenders hanging on him, or LeBron James slashing through the lane for a dunk over a 7' defender. Tough defense is also something that is missing in a lot of regular season games.

NBA playoff basketball is much better since teams kick up the level of play, since defense becomes important and since team play becomes important (unless you are the Miami Heat, in which case you give the ball to D. Wade and let him do his thing while the other four players on the floor, including LeBron, stand by and watch D. Wade "want the ball in crunch time" image).

The NBA should tinker with the current rules and change them to promote a more team oriented game [where all 5 players on the floor run like gazelles and have an equal chance of touching the ball and participating in plays; in particular a fast paced game where everyone can and does pass, cut, slash, move and shoot either on the perimeter, in the post or on a drive to the basket].
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players received there last check from last season on11/15.
    Is it any surprise that they came back to work within 2 weeks?
    Not a surprise here.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • They lied to us. Its a 5 header on Christmas Day. I'm never coming back.