Home Sports Talk
Options

Bears vs Lions

recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
After watching the game yesterday I thouhgt the Bears just finished playing the old school Raiders.

I was upset about two plays on hits of Cutler.
1. Cutler was running for a first down and Suh came up high and ripped Cutler's helment off, his intentions were clear, no flag. He did the exact same thing to Cutler last year.
2. Nick Fairley slammed Cutler into the turf 2 seconds after the play putting all his weight on top of Cutler, Cutler landing on his shoulder, that could have been the end of our season. I had flashbacks to Charles Martin - Jim McMahon.
If I were a Packer fan I would be concerned for Rodgers on Thanksgiving day.

Stafford started that whole fight by trying to pull off Moore's helment.

Peppers tackle on Calvin Johnson which led to a fumble reminded me of Richard Kiel in the longest yard clotheslining a guard and saying, "I think i broke his freakin neck." No flag on the play, I bet Peppers gets a fine.

I don't think I've been this angry at the Lions since Wayne Fontes lit up that cigar. That's a good thing divisional rivalries are good to watch and I don't think Bears - Vikings will be exciting for a few years.

Last Devin Hester on a spained ankle returned his 15th punt for a touchdown. When people see greatness so consistantly for a period of time they take it for granted. I've seen it in this town with Walter Payton, then Michael Jordan and now Hester on returns, not saying his whole game is close to Payton or Jordan.
I do think when Hester retires he should get serious consideration for the HOF.

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Hester does not end up in the HOF the voters should have to take a drug test.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Don't sweat it Chicago fans...the Lions have one foot off the cliff right now...and you guys have a cakewalk schedule from here on out....

South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If Hester does not end up in the HOF the voters should have to take a drug test. >>

Totally agree
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    I like the Lions physical style of play but its only a matter of time till opponents start taking cheap shots on them as well.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If Hester does not end up in the HOF the voters should have to take a drug test. >>

There's an awfully long line of guys who deserve to get in ahead of (possibly) the best punt returner of all-time. And even that's debatable. Is he REALLY the best - or just the best among the guys who did it a lot. Is he really better than Deion was at it? Or Rod Woodson?

I just don't see Hester being a HOF'er based on 2 or 3 plays a year. And, really, that's what we're talking about here. He averages < 12 yards a punt return and 24 yards a kick return. The punt return # is great but is all THAT different than a guy who averages 9? No. And 24 yards per kick return isn't even great. So we're talking about the 2 or 3 TDs a year he gets - is THAT what put guys in the HOF based on? No.

<< <i>I like the Lions physical style of play but its only a matter of time till opponents start taking cheap shots on them as well. >>

Already happened in yesterday's game.

Tabe
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Lions play a little dirty. Reminds me of some ex Bears and Raiders teams. They have no need to apologize for it. They play through the whistle.

Peppers probably will get fined. That was old school and he's still a beast. Calvin was lucky that it was the ball rolling around on the field and not his head.

Cutler should slide next time. That was dumb on his part. What was Suh supposed to do? I love that Suh gives no quarter.

Hester is a game changer. Hall of Fame? Yes, if I was voting.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lions.............image
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    at the beginning of the season i was hoping the Lions would turn it all around and be real successful....watched 2/3 games...... the defense is great but they play like cheap shot cons... now i hope they don't win another game..and yes... I LOVE MEGATRON !!!!
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    it was an exciting game to watch and I hope both teams play with that much intensity against the packers.

BTW Hester should be a HOF lock.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    GO LIONS!!!GO LIONS!!!!!! This game was not made for sissys however it is starting to look that way.The Lions are still a team in the making however they will dominate in future years.They are one if the youngest teams in Football..The Bears only had 163 yds total offense all day.

About Hester if he goes in so does Desmond Howard.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    um their one of the oldest actually
  • Options

<< <i>GO LIONS!!!GO LIONS!!!!!! This game was not made for sissys however it is starting to look that way.The Lions are still a team in the making however they will dominate in future years.They are one if the youngest teams in Football..The Bears only had 163 yds total offense all day.

About Hester if he goes in so does Desmond Howard. >>

Detriot is one of the oldest teams in NFL. Bears did not need any offense when the score is 37-6 halfway through the 3rd Q. Desmond Howard had a total of 8 td returns. Hester has 17 total tds. Not even close. Come on man!
  • Options
    I just don't see the HOF case for Devin Hester.

Tabe
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just don't see the HOF case for Devin Hester. >>

It would be the strongest case for a non kicking special teams player to make it to the HOF.
    He's already the best there's ever been at returns and his career is only half over.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jan Stenerud is a Hall of Famer. So far he is the only special teams only player in the HOF. I see no reason the that the best returner in the history of the NFL should't be added. Plus, he still has five years or to add to the records barring serious injury probably at the hands of a dirty Lionimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    The Lions only have 12 players over 30 yrs of age and 2 of them are kickers.They are one of the oldest franchise however their roster is quite young at most positions.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>It would be the strongest case for a non kicking special teams player to make it to the HOF.
    He's already the best there's ever been at returns and his career is only half over. >>

Is he truly the best - or just the best among guys given a lot of opportunities? Most good special teams players don't do it very long because they are able to contribute elsewhere. Hester doesn't - he's a minimal contributor at WR at best - and so he's a full-time returner. It's also worth mentioning that, despite the punt return TDs, his numbers aren't all that great. He's had years where he averaged < 8 yards/return on punts. His career average on kicks is 24 - pretty average.

Is he a great punt returner? Yep. I just don't see him as a HOF'er.

Tabe