Home Sports Talk
Options

How about those Cleveland State University Vikings?

Gotta recognize my alma mater. We spanked #7 Vandy (at Vandy) yesterday. Vanderbilt was 105-8 at home vs. non-conference opponents. We led wire -to-wire and won by 13. It was great to see us go down there and punch the #7 team in the nation in the mouth on their own floor. The Vikes have a veteran team this year in spite of losing 1st round draft pick Norris Cole to the Miami Heat. I hope everyone can put CSU on their radar and give some love to them and other mid-majors that are legit and make the college hoops landscape so interesting. Thanks everyone!
Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on a great win. Isn't Cleveland State the team that had a great upset of Indiana in the tournament about 1986?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    aren't they projected to win the horizon?
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Congratulations on a great win. Isn't Cleveland State the team that had a great upset of Indiana in the tournament about 1986? >>

Yes, the Kevin Mackey coached team beat Indiana and St. Joseph before losing by a point to Navy. Navy had the Admiral that year and to be honest they should have lost....all the calls went to Navy. I still have that game on tape. I don't think they wanted to see CSU go against Duke in the next game....I'm not a CSU alumni but live in the area and whenever they have good teams they spark interest big time around here....especially this year with the sad state of the Browns and no nba...my son plays high school basketball and their coach got them tickets last year when they played Butler .... hopefully this year the result will be different...
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    I was a senior in high school when CSU had that tournament run. Was a lot of fun around here and the reason college hoops and March Madness is so popular. Our Buckeyes look good too! After that missed 22 yard field goal Sunday this is what this area and its sports fans need!
  • Options
    Won by 29 tonight...should be a fun night at the Wolstein Center this Friday night when we host St. Bonaventure from the Atlantic 10...GO CSU!!!
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    another strong win by CSU...67-64 over St. Bonaventure on a 3 pointer by Trevon Harmon with 2.8 seconds remaining! Cleveland State (3-0) looks good so far! We might find ourselves ranked when they come out on Sunday or Monday. Any of you guys from the Cleveland area, get on down to the Wolstein Center and support these guys!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    And who is, arguably, the most well known Cleveland State Alumnus who played in the NBA but never played a game at CSU?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ...that would be Manute Bol...(did not graduate from CSU however). He was there for less than a year while I was there.
  • Options
    Other Cleveland State University NBA players:

Franklin Edwards 1981-1987 (76ers, including World Championship team, Clippers, Kings)
    Darren Tillis 1982-1983 (Celtics, Cavs, Warriors)
    Clinton Smith 1986-1990 (Warriors, Bullets)
    Jim Les 1988-1994 (Jazz, Clippers, Kings, Hawks)
    Cedric Jackson 2009-2010 (Cavs, Spurs, Wizards)
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>...that would be Manute Bol...(did not graduate from CSU however). He was there for less than a year while I was there. >>

Never played a game for them ... and was one of the reasons CSU was placed on a two year probation.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Other Cleveland State university NBA players:

Franklin Edwards 1981-1987 (Sixers world championship team)
    Darren Tillis 1982-1983
    Clinton Smith 1986-1990
    Jim Les 1988-1994 >>

Cedric Jackson 2009-2010

...And, of course, 2011 1st round draft pick Norris Cole!
  • Options
    Vikes take care of business again, defeating a very tough Kent State team at Kent. CSU is 4-0 now, and moved up to #26 in the AP poll released Monday, 11/21!
  • Options
    Awful loss for you guys tonight. I couldn't believe it, and that's my school you all played.
  • Options
    going on the road right before Christmas is always tough, no matter the team, unless your name is Davidson.......there have been a number of games this past week when the underdog has risen up and beat the favorite. Also to be honest CSU hasn't really been playing that well. The local papers have written much about how Coach Waters in unhappy about their play.....and it's not like they have been beating folks bad. 4 points agains Robert Morris, 3 against Akron...they really need to start playing better.

al.
  • Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    Big game for the Vikings tonight for the outright lead in the Horizon...CSU is 20-4 now and "receiving votes" in the polls. Another big game on Saturday vs. Butler...
  • Options
    My son is a senior and plays basketball this year at Valley Forge which is located in Parma, a suburb of Cleveland. His coach got the team tickets to the game Saturday against Butler like he did last year. Hopefully the result will be different this year. They laid an egg tonight and got beat up pretty bad....