Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help me make some sense of this item description, please. (update- I bought it)

<< <i>Holland 1759 1/4 Gulden Mint Meesles Penny

Holland
1/4 Gulden
Mint Meesles
Penny >>

The image:

What does "Meesles" mean? Why would they call it a "Meesles Penny"?

Does it have the measles? image

Are there restrikes of these?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a town called Les Mées in France.

It is often referred to as "Mees, Les" when in an alphabetical list.

OK, I thought. France is kind of near the Low Countries.

But Les Mées, France, is nowhere near Holland. It's in the southeast, not the northern part of France.

So what is "Meesles Mint", and how is a silver coin like this called a "Meesles Penny" (sic)?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Possibly a mint-master? I know one or two Dutch collectors would refer to the mint master or engraver at the mint...
    Googling it got me nowhere. Naturally it suggested "measles", but when I forced "Meesles" through, I didn't have much better luck.

Where's Andres when we need him?

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever it is called, it is a very attractive coin.
  • AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Andres is on holiday in spain image

these dutch small silver coins are called : Muntmeester penningen , somebody made an akward translation.
    a better translation would be : Mintmaster medal , not an official ""coin"" , but the same design as the guilder, these were presented as New Years gifts, and the (silver) value was an quarter guilder or 25 cents.
    the obverse shows Pallas Athena or the dutch virgin with the liberty hat and bible . the motto translates as : In this I believe and rely on. reverse is the dutch lion and motto: silver money as ordered by the united provinces of the netherlands; Holl = mintplace dordrecht
    shortlived minted ""coins"" only minted a couple of years and prohibited by the dutch government around 1760 - market value: $50-$100

greetings from Altea - Alicante Spain
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
    Thank you!

Well, after having watched it for the better part of a month, I took the plunge and bought it this morning.

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty piece!
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Marco , nice example with nice patina.

these were only minted in 1756 - 57 - 58 and 59 , prohibited in 1760

heres a picture of my 1758 newyearsmedal, minted in Utrecht and a 3 Guilder coin , also minted in Utrecht on which the new years medals were based.

the dutch guilder was officially introduced in 1694 in 0,5 - 1 - 2 and 3 guilder silver coins and was only recently made redunded in 2002 in favor of the Euro.

regards from the Netherlands, Andres
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
    Oooh, I like that 3-guilder. You can see the finer details (like the bible) much better on that.

Great coins.

These big silver (1 ounce) 3 Guilder coins are not very expensive imho,
    heres one offered by a dutch seller on eBay.nl

3 Guilder Utrecht 1794