Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best Point-and-Shoot Camera for Coin Photography

I'm sure the expert coin photographers can chime in on this, but I'm also curious about the opinions/experiences of other, more casual photographers. I'm looking to upgrade my 7-year old 4MP Olympus which, up until now, has served me quite well in my personal coin photography. I don't have the need to purchase a full-blown DSLR with specialized lenses since I really am not an avid picture taker. So I've been looking at some of the new mid-sized point-and-shoots and they seem to have some fairly impressive specs at a very reasonable price point. Does anybody have a recommendation for a brand/model that has worked well for them for coin photography? Again, I'm talking about non-DSLR.
My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A must for a fixed lens point and shoot when using for coin photos is a threaded lens (or adaptor) that will accept screw-on diopters (close-up filters). I use an older Kodak DX7590 non-slr that accepts a screw-on barrel around the lens (screws into the body) and a +3 screw-on filter that serves my needs. Kodak no longer offers the feature but it should be available somewhere.

here's one on ebay you definitely want to get the docking station for ease of uploading and charging

here's the lens adapter that screws into the body around the fixed lens

imageimage

imageimageimage

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you take the pictures on your site with the 7 yr old Olympus? They look really good to me.
  • BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you take the pictures on your site with the 7 yr old Olympus? They look really good to me. >>

Yes, those are from my 7-year old Olympus. And they're decent so long as you don't make the final image too large. Problem is, I want to start using larger images. That means I need more MPs and a better lens. Some of the new point-and-shoots have "macro modes" and I wonder if that would work instead of going with a more expensive camera with interchangeable lenses/filters. This camera will be 99% for coins so macro imaging is my main concern. If I can get quality images with a $200 camera, it makes no sense for me to unnecessarily spend $600 for a camera with features I will hardly ever use.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    go to the nearest Ritz Camera (or similar exclusive camera store), explain exactly what you are looking for, get a free demonstration and then price it elsewhere.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• Try to find some digital camera that can be tethered to a computer. Real time feedback and if you don't like it you delete, adjust, and shoot again.

This used to be a common feature on point and shoots however the camera manufacturers seem to have disabled it these days on the point and shoots.

I'm a Nikon DSLR guy but a Canon point and shoot guy. Tough to beat the new Canon S100 camera in my opinion. S100 won't tether though I don't think.

Check out the breeze systems webpage for tethered support.

Powershot Models

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • I'm curious if these 4/3rds cameras would be worth the purchase for coin photography.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should never have clicked on your link. I was doing mid-grade Barbers all during the '80s. My almost complete set was stolen in 2000 along with the bulk of my collecton, (except for the really good stuff). Nice coins you have there! Makes me kinda wistful.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Here isimage a kodak easy share cx7525 that i just found in the closet. It has adjustments for white balance , ISO, exposure. and has a timer so you dont have to push the button.
    I found this old thread to post a picture on . I used a tripod. OTT light , ISO 80, white Balance (fluorescent)
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the background the right color if not try adjusting the white balance the setting are not always right.
    If that was a white paper back ground the image is off is what I am saying.
    Yes it is white paper. I see the background is not white,but this is what the coins look like.
  • Ill try changing the white balance
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you have mastered the camera you have
    and already have lights, and a copy stand
    and understand the techniques of coin photography
    and find your photos inadequet
    then consider a new camera

a newer model point and shoot will probably not give you better photos unless it is the limiting factor as mentioned above
    LCoopie = Les
    I changed it to daylight..it seems to be a little better..

Light green instead of blue.
  • What photo editor do you use to circle crop the coins?
  • nice photos and coins...I really like the color on that ASE.
  • PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762

<< <i>Try to find some digital camera that can be tethered to a computer. Real time feedback and if you don't like it you delete, adjust, and shoot again.

This used to be a common feature on point and shoots however the camera manufacturers seem to have disabled it these days on the point and shoots.

I'm a Nikon DSLR guy but a Canon point and shoot guy. Tough to beat the new Canon S100 camera in my opinion. S100 won't tether though I don't think.

Check out the breeze systems webpage for tethered support.

Powershot Models

John >>

Tethered with live view on the computer screen really is a nice feature. I'm not sure, you might have to get a digital Rebel or Nikon equivalent DSLR to do this though. They seem to be handicapping the newer non-DSLRs. Looks like you might be able to pick up an older model though and use that.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • I like Canon point-and-shoots as well, but as far as I can tell, most P&S cameras in the over $125 range with macro should work well enough with minimal differences. Try a few out if you have the chance.
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I love my Canon S95 also....
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What photo editor do you use to circle crop the coins? >>

I'm not as sophisticated as others with photoshop so I use A Microsoft program, it's an old version but works well forme. >>

Does it automatically circle crop the coins? If not, how time consuming?? Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file