Looks like 4years around 50 mil. Congrats StevieK

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like 4years around 50 mil. Congrats StevieK >>

ugh. I saw that. is that sarcasm?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im suprised but they are not kidding around when they decided to re do this entire team. Good luck to Pap he served us well
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll have to admit, the Phillies often overwhelm me...in a good way.

Here's to a Phillies.....nah, I'm not gonna say it anymore, Grote15 keeps telling me I jinx the Phillies when I boast and I've come to believe him.

I'm not doing a Phillies thread this upcoming season...if someone elae wants to do it then great...my Phillies "Championship" threads have been jinxing them, and that's the main reason they've been losing in the playoffs, so I need to put a stop to that. image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, I would think Boston would have matched that number. Previously, I was OK with losing Pap and let Bard close, but Bard was very shaky down the stretch last year, and now they need an 8th inning guy or another closer.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmm, I would think Boston would have matched that number. Previously, I was OK with losing Pap and let Bard close, but Bard was very shaky down the stretch last year, and now they need an 8th inning guy or another closer. >>

You may just end up with Ryan Madson. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Boston definitely did not want to go 4 years with Pap, certainly not at $12.5 per. My guess is their ceiling was 3 yrs/~$35m.

Sad to see him go. There are only a handful of guys that can close in a pressure cooker like Boston, and he was one of them.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Sweet. The average length of a Sox/Yanks game just went from 3:30 to 3:15.
  • Options
    So the Phillies now slightly upgraded two positions this off season....Papelbon.....and Thome.
    Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my predicted Red Sox departures. I'm not surprised, but admit somewhat disappointed. Papelbon pitched well in Boston, a few rare mistakes, he'll be missed for sure. The Phillies got a very good reliever.

Ortiz will go too. We, of Red Sox Nation could be in for a very long dry spell...hope I'm wrong. Whatever shakes out in April will hopefully contend for the top spot and not collapse.
  • Options
    Too bad Lackey is hurt, cause he might have been a good answer for a closer. He usually only pitches one inning a game anyway.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another mercenary added to an already bloated payroll with Ryan Howard's skills rapidly eroding the Phils are moving further away from another title..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Not trying to sound like a hater but Papelbon just doesn't seem like the intimidating top level closer that strikes fear into batting lineups despite his tenure in Boston.

And 12.5 mil/ year seems like way too much for him. I remember some analysts were saying 4 mil/ year was enough to have him resigned.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    <<<I remember some analysts were saying 4 mil/ year was enough to have him resigned.>>>

Are you sure you aren't confusing Papelbon with Bruce Chen? Papelbon was always going to get $10m+ per year.

The only black mark I would put on Pap is that he never developed his splitter into an out pitch. He thinks he'll just blow his (fairly straight) 95 mph fastball by people. For the most part he does, but then there are days like Game #162 where he'll hang a couple over the plate and get beat. If he developed that splitter, he'd be unhittable.

But moving from the AL East to the NL, he'll be back to a sub-2.00 ERA and sub 0.95 WHIP in no time.
  • Options

<< <i>Another mercenary added to an already bloated payroll with Ryan Howard's skills rapidly eroding the Phils are moving further away from another title.. >>

I hate to say this but I think I'm beginning to feel what it is like to be a Yankees fan. Yes, it's better than losing, and I don't want to go back to the days of 70 win seasons...but somehow it doesn't seem as interesting as before, if ya know what I'm trying to say?

A lot of the fun in sports is rooting for the underdog or at least an interesting competitive sports event. And it was always fun watching and rooting for the home grown players to rise up thru the minors, make the bigs, and do well, and basically build a winning team that way. With the Phillies now, it's like I may as well just tune in around late September, because ya know they can't miss the playoffs. Barring crazy injuries, there's basically no competition for the pennant race with the Phillies in the NL East.

Oh well..I'll still take it and have no desire to give it back. image
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<<I remember some analysts were saying 4 mil/ year was enough to have him resigned.>>>

Are you sure you aren't confusing Papelbon with Bruce Chen? Papelbon was always going to get $10m+ per year.

The only black mark I would put on Pap is that he never developed his splitter into an out pitch. He thinks he'll just blow his (fairly straight) 95 mph fastball by people. For the most part he does, but then there are days like Game #162 where he'll hang a couple over the plate and get beat. If he developed that splitter, he'd be unhittable.

But moving from the AL East to the NL, he'll be back to a sub-2.00 ERA and sub 0.95 WHIP in no time. >>

It was Papelbon they were talking about. Perhaps 4 mil is a bit on the low side for him but he isn't worth 12.5/ year. Speaking of Bruce Chen, are the Red Sox trying to sign him or was that just last year's pre postseason fodder?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    I would hope that the Sox don't sign Chen....he's awful.

stevek - I think it is less about the big payroll and the star-studded team and more about that fact that you guys won it 3 years ago, and are in the playoffs every year - it's rendered the regular season virtually meaningless. Sounds like you are developing a slight case of "wake me up in September" feeling that a lot of Sox fans having taken on these past few years (myself included)....that's why, in a sick way, last year's Red Sox collapse was probably the best thing that could have happened for the fan base. The collapse will go a long way in rekindling the fire that a lot of Sox fans lost.
  • Options

<< <i>I would hope that the Sox don't sign Chen....he's awful.

stevek - I think it is less about the big payroll and the star-studded team and more about that fact that you guys won it 3 years ago, and are in the playoffs every year - it's rendered the regular season virtually meaningless. Sounds like you are developing a slight case of "wake me up in September" feeling that a lot of Sox fans having taken on these past few years (myself included)....that's why, in a sick way, last year's Red Sox collapse was probably the best thing that could have happened for the fan base. The collapse will go a long way in rekindling the fire that a lot of Sox fans lost. >>

Good point - I think you're right.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hmm, I would think Boston would have matched that number. Previously, I was OK with losing Pap and let Bard close, but Bard was very shaky down the stretch last year, and now they need an 8th inning guy or another closer. >>

You may just end up with Ryan Madson. MJ >>

Please, no. Anytime Boston signs a Bor-Ass client, they get screwed. Frankly, I am suprised any team deals with Boras, I cant think of any Boras signing that was a "good deal" for the team (except for Strasburg and Harper, which are phenoms).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You may just end up with Ryan Madson. MJ >>

Please, no. Anytime Boston signs a Bor-Ass client, they get screwed. Frankly, I am suprised any team deals with Boras, I cant think of any Boras signing that was a "good deal" for the team (except for Strasburg and Harper, which are phenoms). >>

You can have Brad Lidge then. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Another mercenary added to an already bloated payroll with Ryan Howard's skills rapidly eroding the Phils are moving further away from another title.. >>

I hate to say this but I think I'm beginning to feel what it is like to be a Yankees fan. Yes, it's better than losing, and I don't want to go back to the days of 70 win seasons...but somehow it doesn't seem as interesting as before, if ya know what I'm trying to say? >>

I feel that way already as a Red Sox fan after they WAY overpaid for Lackey and Crawford, which resulted in this year's disaster (like the underachieving hired-gun Yankee teams). I would like to see them go back to signing high-value (for the money) "dirt dogs" like Millar, Mueller, and Nixon.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Anyone that says the Phils don't try to buy rings will have a lot of 'splainin' to do
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy with this. I am not a Papelblown fan. Perhaps some Phillies fans will understand how this strikeout or flyball pitcher irritated so many Sox fans. That smaller ballpark will change the results of a lot of the balls hit off Papelblown to the chagrin of his new home team. I'm also not a big fan of the "closer" concept. Too much money goes to guys who really aren't necessarily improving WAR. I think Papelblown's was two or three wins above this past year. That shouldn't cost you twelve million a year.

I'd be fine with taking the Phillies throwaway or just about anyone who has more than one pitch and can throw it on the edges of the strike zone.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd be fine with taking the Phillies throwaway >>

Not for $11 million plus per year for 4 years.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Not for $11 million plus per year for 4 years. >>

of course not! No "closer" should get a four year deal. Even Rivera got his most recent one for three years, IIRC. I'd rather the Sox overpay on a per year basis by signing someone for just two years.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not for $11 million plus per year for 4 years. >>

of course not! No "closer" should get a four year deal. Even Rivera got his most recent one for three years, IIRC. I'd rather the Sox overpay on a per year basis by signing someone for just two years. >>

That is supposedly what Bor-Ass was trying to extract from the Phillies for Madson. He will probably sucker Theo into paying that much for the Cubs.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Let's try Bard and see where that goes.
  • Options
    <<<But moving from the AL East to the NL, he'll be back to a sub-2.00 ERA and sub 0.95 WHIP in no time.>>>

I was close....2.20 ERA and 1.03 WHIP entering tonight....