Home Sports Talk
Options

RIP Joe Frazier

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
He was a beast and part of a lot of great childhood memories. MJ
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely tear-up over an athletes death - this one I did.

Thank you Joe for many great memories.

RIP

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Smokin Joe, a class act when boxing was king!!! Thanks for the great memories!!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Smokin Joe, a class act when boxing was king!!! Thanks for the great memories!!! image >>

Mike, you are so right about that. I used to be a big boxing fan, but I haven't even watched a fight in some years now. Someone posted the Youtube video of the last round, the 15th round, of the first Ali-Frazier fight and I watched it. Either one of those guys, last time I was watching heavyweight fights, would handily beat today's heavyweights who are usually gasping for air after only 12 rounds.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Steve, I concur totally. No one I know really talks boxing anymore, but back then you actually couldn't wait for the fights and it rarely disappointed. We probably got spoiled and I think Tyson vs. Holyfield was the last fight I watched live. Hard to hear after that one. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Steve, I concur totally. No one I know really talks boxing anymore, but back then you actually couldn't wait for the fights and it rarely disappointed. We probably got spoiled and I think Tyson vs. Holyfield was the last fight I watched live. Hard to hear after that one. image >>

I watched that fight live. Tyson could have done so much for the fight game and initially he did, and then at some point after Cus's death, he went off the deep end, and I mean the very deep end as has been well documented.

Anyone can disagree with Ali's politiical viewpoints, but he was great for the fight game, as well as some fighters before and after him...and Joe Frazier did fit in so well right with that. To Ali it was mostly "schtick" to sell the fight and Joe knew that as well, and played along with it, although I think Joe really did dislike Ali when both were fighting, but I don't believe Joe ever hated him. But the bottom line was the fights themselves - two great warriors giving their all.

I doubt very much if boxing will ever come back the way it was...I think the current martial arts type fights, mostly have people's attention now when it comes to fight entertainment.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    RIP Joe Frazier. Thanks for all the wonderful memories. You were a great fighter and a great man!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always will remember the Ali Frazier fights and the line "Down goes Frazier, Down goes Frazier" spoken by Howard Cosell when Ali knocked him to the canvas. Classic, just classic fights.

Today however, "Down goes Frazier" is quite sad.

RIP, Smokin Joe.image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [I always will remember the Ali Frazier fights and the line "Down goes Frazier, Down goes Frazier" spoken by Howard Cosell when Ali knocked him to the canvas. Classic, just classic fights.

Cosell made that classic call when Foreman knocked down Frazier, not Ali.

RIP Smokin' Joe...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>[I always will remember the Ali Frazier fights and the line "Down goes Frazier, Down goes Frazier" spoken by Howard Cosell when Ali knocked him to the canvas. Classic, just classic fights.

Cosell made that classic call when Foreman knocked down Frazier, not Ali.

RIP Smokin' Joe... >>

In all fairness to SanctionII, sometimes the mind plays tricks on ya. I remember seeing the George Foreman - Ron Lyle fight live on TV, the five knockdown fight, best fight I ever saw, and then I forgot about it, and then about 20 years later I'm sitting in a poker game and conversation about the fight comes up, and I could have swore it was George Foreman - Ernie Shavers...Shavers was a great heavyweight puncher during that time and I saw a number of his fights...forgetting it was Ron Lyle cost me 5 bucks - LOL.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

George Foreman vs. Ron Lyle. Jan 24, 1976. Las Vegas. Result: Foreman KO 5.

A great heavyweight slugfest between two very hard punching heavyweights. Foreman was now the ex-champion having begun a comeback after losing his title to Muhammad Ali. Ron Lyle was a legit heavyweight contender having lost in a title shot to Ali the year before. Shavers was coming off an impressive knockout victory against the also hard hitting top contender Earnie Shavers.

The Forman-Lyle fight was perhaps the greatest heavyweight slugfest of the last half of the 20th century. "The guys were hitting the canvas left and right. It was amazing," noted matchmaker Bruce Trampler. The fireworks started at the end of the first round when Lyle staggers Foreman. Then in the second round Foreman turns the tide hurting Lyle against the ropes. Lyle appeared to be in deep trouble when he is saved by an early bell. The second round was only 2 minutes long. They boxed a bit more in the third although both men landed heavy punches. The explosions began in the viscious fourth round. Lyle knocked Foreman down with a hard right followed by a crushing left-right combination. George gets up immediately. Lyle moves in for the kill only to be greeted by a powering right that smashes Lyle to the canvas. Now Foreman moves in for the finish and pounds Lyle against the ropes. Desperate Lyle fights back and a tremendous left sends Foreman crashing down flat on his face. George said to himself "get up and win" refusing to be defeated. George beats the ten count and is saved by the bell. In the 5th round Foreman is badly staggered by a hard right and a left. An uppercut has Foreman seriously hurt but he comes roaring back with a series of blows that has Lyle badly weakened. Foreman softens Lyle up with a series of stiff jabs and then wails on Lyle who is back against the ropes. Lyle collapses from the onslaught of hard punches and is counted out. It was an all time slugfest that had the crowd screaming on its feet.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Penn State, Steve? I think you should switch back to the big P. LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Penn State, Steve? I think you should switch back to the big P. LOL.. >>

I was gonna use a chain cent for my avatar, but it was already taken. image