Home Sports Talk
Options

Regardless of the remainder of the Broncos season, I am content since they beat the Raiders.........

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
................. yesterday, in Oaklandimage

IMO, nothing is better than a Bronco victory over the Raiders [makes up for all the Raider beat downs of the Broncos in the 60's and 70's when I was a kid growing up in Denver].

Further, the NFL is a league where quarterbacks who can pass the football are preferred. Denver's Tebow does not pass very well, but he is very good at running the ball. How likely is it that a running qb [who is not a great passer] will be successful in the NFL?

There have been some very successful running QB's in the NFL, including Fran Tarkington and Randall Cunningham. Currently Michael Vick and Cam Newton also show promise as a running QB [though both are better passers than Tebow].

If Tebow is allowed to start the remainder of the season, it will be interesting to see if his running ability translates into some W's.

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The Broncos did not beat the Raiders. The Raider defense and their inability to tackle beat the Raiders.

Tebow makes a better RB/ HB/ FB than he does at QB. Running QB's make themselves a double threat but QB's fundamentally need to be good passers.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Denver did not win the game, the Raiders lost the game.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Denver did not win the game, the Raiders lost the game. >>

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Denver did not win the game, the Raiders lost the game. >>

image >>

+1
  • Options
  • Options
    As a Florida Gator and BIG Tebow supporter I am just happy to see him getting some wins and shutting people up who said he couldn't get the job done. Not saying he's perfect, or not there's not room for improvement, but 2-1 ain't bad, certainly better than Orton's 1-4 record this year.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Tebow showed some improvement, but the Raiduh's have beat themselves in so many games.
    yet this is a Broncos win and a Raiduh's loss.

their Black Hole is still a disgrace (win or lose). i kinda enjoyed the taunting done by the Broncos after they scored on big, broken plays.

SanctionII..can't forget Steve Young scrambled some eggs pretty well when he had to.
  • Options
    The next game for Denver is at K.C. in Arrowhead Stadium.

Denver has had a long history of not playing well in Arrowhead. It will be interesting to see how Tebow performs in K.C.

Funny thing about the AFC West is that all 4 current teams in the Division started as AFL Franchises (Seattle used to be in the AFC West but was not an AFL team).

All four teams (Denver, Oakland, K.C. and San Diego) have a long history with each other. Denver, K.C. and San Diego all have a bitter rivalry with the Oakland Raiders, but they do not have a bitter rivalry with each other. Oakland plays 6 division games per year where the emotions are at a fever pitch due to the animosity between Oakland and the other three teams. Each of the other three teams have only two such games per year. I guess it is Oakland vs. everyone else in the AFC West. Always has been and probably always will be.
  • Options

<< <i>Tebow showed some improvement, but the Raiduh's have beat themselves in so many games.

their Black Hole is still a disgrace (win or lose). i kinda enjoyed the taunting done by the Broncos after they scored on big, broken plays.

SanctionII..can't forget Steve Young scrambled some eggs pretty well when he had to. >>

I am a 49er faithful and have been since I started watching football but contrary to 95% of Niners fans I will actually cheer for the Raiders in every game they play that isn't against the Niners. After all, what could be better than a Bay Bridge Super Bowl? My family and I also had Raiders season tickets from 1995 to 2003.

The Black Hole bets a bad rap but they aren't exactly a criminal element as some former coaches have implied. They dress up, look intimidating and (humorously) verbally bash visiting fans but that's about it. In real life most live an upper middle-class life. The Black Hole won't beat you up, stab you or throw beer on you. I can't say the same about fans in other cities.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The next game for Denver is at K.C. in Arrowhead Stadium.

Denver has had a long history of not playing well in Arrowhead. It will be interesting to see how Tebow performs in K.C.

Funny thing about the AFC West is that all 4 current teams in the Division started as AFL Franchises (Seattle used to be in the AFC West but was not an AFL team).

All four teams (Denver, Oakland, K.C. and San Diego) have a long history with each other. Denver, K.C. and San Diego all have a bitter rivalry with the Oakland Raiders, but they do not have a bitter rivalry with each other. Oakland plays 6 division games per year where the emotions are at a fever pitch due to the animosity between Oakland and the other three teams. Each of the other three teams have only two such games per year. I guess it is Oakland vs. everyone else in the AFC West. Always has been and probably always will be. >>

Not sure I agree with that. I've hated Denver ever since John Elway came along. All I can remember is that it seemed like whenever the Chiefs had him in a 3rd and long situation and brought heavy pressure he would somehow avoid it and scramble for a 30 yard gain or find an open recevier for a 30 yard gain.
    So I do not share your sentiments regarding Chiefs vs. Broncos.
  • Options
    Elway caused lots of misery for lots of teams during the time he played (most notably the Cleveland Browns in 2 AFC Championship games). This also includes the Chiefs. Bad feelings toward the Broncos probably did arise for the Chiefs, Chargers and their respective fans during the Elway years.

However, my perspective on the AFC West rivalries is one that goes back to the founding of the AFL in 1960. For much of this 51 year time period Denver was a doormat that opposing teams did not get riled up to play. Neither the Chiefs, Broncos or Chargers would get as riled up playing each other as they did when the played the Raiders. Whatever rivalry existed or exists between the Chiefs, Broncos or Chargers during the past 51 years simply does not have the same intensity as the rivalry that exists between these teams and the Raiders.

As far as the Black Hole goes, it probably gets a bad rap in part due to the costumes, etc; and in part due to bad behavior. The cost of attending pro sports events has gotten so high that in large part the people who can afford to go to games are less likely to be hot heads who want to brawl at the slightest insult.

In the Broncos prior stadium (Mile High Stadium) the main part of the structure was a horseshoe shape, open at one end. At the open end there was a separate structure called the "South Stands". In this section were the cheap seats and the Bronco fans that were located in the South Stands were always loud, drunk, nasty and ready to fight.
  • Options
    Denver wins again, this time in kansas city. What the heck is happening with the broncos? Could they actually have a .500 or better season?
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tebow showed some improvement, but the Raiduh's have beat themselves in so many games.

SanctionII..can't forget Steve Young scrambled some eggs pretty well when he had to. >>

senator, i know steve young and quite franly, tebow isnt steve young.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Tim Tebow is the second coming of Bobby Douglas.
  • Options
    What the heck is going on in Denver?????

4-1 since the Broncos changed quarterbacks.

A definite headscratcher. Tebow definitely brings energy to the team that was not present when Orton was starting.
  • Options
    Down go the Bolts.

Denver and Tebow are now if 5-1 since Tebow was given the starting QB job.

Denver's defense is playing very well and the offense is clearly run oriented given Tebow's shortcomings in the passing department. However Tebow is making plays when needed, is not turning the ball over and is "leading" the team.

Five games left in the regular season. I wonder if Denver will finish 9-7 or better. If so that is a record that no one would have ever expected from Denver when the season started.

If Denver and Tebow continue to win in the regular season, the fan base will be expecting Tebow to keep the starting job for 2012. If a miracle happens and Denver makes the playoffs the support for Tebow will be even greater. I would hope that in the off season Tebow puts in countless hours of practice to improve his passing ability. If he develops his skill set to where is an average or better passer he make life very hard for defenses trying to contain him.

In any event, this season has me watching Denver games with interest and optimism instead of dreadimage
  • Options
    The Broncos just keep on winning. 35-32 over the Vikings.

With Tebow as a starter the team is now 6-1 and is tied for first place in the AFC West with the Raiders (who lost to Miami today).

With 4 games left against Chicago, New England, Buffalo and Kansas City it is likely that Denver will end up 9-7 or maybe even 10-6. If things keep going the way they have been in the AFC West, Denver might win the division and even if not Denver may get a wild card spot.

Tebow is no doubt a guy with an intangible that makes him a leader.

I suspect that if Denver keeps on winning games league officials would want to see Denver and Tebow in the playoffs.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teeeeeeebowwwwwww!!

The succession of Tebow criticism:

He sucks, he won't win more than one or two games.
    They got lucky, he still sucks and they won't win the division.
    The division sucks, he still sucks and won't win a playoff game.
    The Ravens played horrible, Tebow still sucks and there is no way they make it to the AFC championship.
    Tebow still got lucky and he still sucks, the Patriots choked, the Steelers will kill them in the AFC championship.
    Tebow still sucks, the defense played out of their minds to beat the Steelers.
    So they won the Superbowl, Tebow still sucks and I bet they won't repeat. image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is amazing. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    This was by far Tim's best game in the NFL so far. There were times he was pressured in the pocket, forced to scramble, didn't panic and kept his eyes down field and then made an accurate completion to his receiver. I think he really turned the corner in this game, was so great to see. Here in Gainesville we watched him pass for years so we know he's got an arm, but for some reason it hasn't really been on display in the NFL. Until today.

And Connecticoin you're right, it's so funny to watch his critics squirm and he continues to grow & develop. Tebow Time = Playoff Time? You bet it does. And I can't wait! image
  • Options
    Can you believe that Denver pulled out another OT victory yesterdayimage

Denver sure is making it fun to watch them this year.
  • Options
    Back to earth comes the Broncos. Congrats to the Patriots.

Wonder what the score would have been if the Broncos had not turned the ball over.

Thanks to Detroit's comeback win in Oakland Denver still sits atop the AFC West at 8-6. Oakland and San Diego are a game behind at 7-7. Kansas City is now 6-8 after beating the Packers. These four teams could conceivably all end up 8-8 at the end of the regular season. Denver had better win its final two games to close it out and make the playoffs for the first time since the 2005 season.

However, with the post Elway Bronco teams you never know what will happen. Recent years have been filled with disappointment [for example the recent [2009?] season when Denver started 6-0, was 8-4 with a four game lead over San Diego and ended up losing 4 straight to finish 8-8 while the Bolts won four straight and took the AFC West crown on a tie breaker.

The recent 6 game winning streak was great, but it means nothing now. It would be fun for me to see Denver win the next two, make the playoffs and see what happens. However, even if Denver does make the playoffs, the likely scenario is "one and done".
  • Options
    Denver is reverting to form, namely collapsing down the stretch. Next game against the chiefs is for all the marbles. Wonder which team will show up?
  • Options

<< <i>Denver is reverting to form, namely collapsing down the stretch. Next game against the chiefs is for all the marbles. Wonder which team will show up? >>

man, I don't know but I hope hope HOPE the Broncos can get into the playoffs. I think that if they can get there then everything after is truly gravy. Then they can concentrate on working with Tim in the offseason like Elway said, and maybe get him a couple quality receivers.
  • Options
    Tim needs to be born again as an NFL quarterback or make a deal with Satan image
  • Options
    Horrible is the best description of Denver's recent play. 3 straight losses, with the offense being ineffective.

Tebow's flaws are on full display.

Frankly San Diego would be the best AFC West team to participate in the playoffs. I suspect that Denver's time in this year's playoffs will be "one and done". The game with the Steelers may be painful to watch. But then again, maybe it will be a thrilling nail biterimage
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i'd rather see Tebow play, than a team commiting penalties like it was an obessive compulsive disorder

...and i am a Raiders fan
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Hey SanctionII, nice overall season for you and Denver considering what it could have been. Strange how KC and Denver each seem to win one, lose one against each other every year.

Hopefully my Chiefs will be less injury prone next year. If not, I guess we can always fire the coach again...image

I don't think there is much a question that injuries cost us the playoffs...being one game out. It is however disappointing to see the Raiders beat us by a game this year. But we have been a lot worst then 7-9 and not long ago.

Not sure if I can root for Denver....but I will try.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    If Denver pulls off an upset of Pittsburg, I will get a lot more excited about the playoffs.

It would be fun to see some late game heroics by Tebow and the Broncos.
  • Options
    6 for 22 for 60 yards against the Chiefs just won't cut it for a QB.
  • Options
    Wei.

I agree. Unless Tebow can develop his passing skills to the point where he is a threat to opposing pass defenses, his days as a starting QB are numbered.
  • Options
    Congrats to the Broncos for beating Pittsburgh today.

Hard to believe that Denver won the game today after losing the last three. Very erratic play by Denver, you never know which team will show up.

Who would have thought after Tebow's terrible performance last week against the Chiefs that he would throw for over 300 yards against the Steelers today.

The winning TD on the first play of OT was extremely fin to watch; so much so that said play is even better than the whole game against the Raiders that started this thread a couple of months ago.

Denver's season now has been a success far beyond what anyone would have ever imagined when the season started. Any further wins this year are simply icing on the cake.

Go Denver, beat the Patriots image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to Denver coming to town, hopefuly the Pats win it in a well played game
  • Options
    Perkdog:

It was a very well played game,................ for the Patriotsimage

No need to talk about (or even think about) Denver's performance in the game. If there is not such a rule in place already, maybe the NFL needs to adopt a mercy rule that can end a game early.

If New England had really wanted to I suspect that they could have easily run up the score to at least 60 points, maybe even 70. All they needed to do was keep tossing passes to their two tight ends and let them knock over defenders on their way into the end zone (or drag one or two defenders with them into the end zone).

Hopefully Denver will improve and have even a better season next year. They were fun to watch (sometimes) this year.