Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Update---Grade opinions....1890-O Morgan, revisited.

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
See my most recent thread of Fri. Oct. 19th.

A recent pick-up...

I'm thinking of submitting it to PCGS.

You think it has a good chance at an ms65?

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    If I owned that coin I would definitely try it a few times. It probably won't work the first time but it's worth a try.

The 1890-O is very tough to make in MS65. I've only made a handful in that grade over the years. The value spread between the grades doesn't reflect how difficult the upgrade is.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try taking it out of the plastic for better pic taking and viewing. I'd say maybe based on
    your current pics but probably not likely. That is if those are roller marks on Miss Lib. If
    the marks are on the plastic I'd say you have a pretty good chance of a 65.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>Try taking it out of the plastic for better pic taking and viewing. I'd say maybe based on
    your current pics but probably not likely. That is if those are roller marks on Miss Lib. If
    the marks are on the plastic I'd say you have a pretty good chance of a 65.

bobimage >>

Roller marks are definitely on Miss Liberty, although the angle at which the picture was taken shows them at their 'strongest'.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO

Tom

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    64+ perhaps, but 65 seems like a stretch. Partly because of the strike, partly because of the roller marks, partly because of the vertical-ish scuffs in front of the M and adjacent to the stars, and partly because Bid for a 65 is 8 times that of a 64.

Got to try, though. image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    From Heritage....all ms65's.

Maybe you're right. Perhaps mine is only an ms64.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a date that has to be all there. Too many scuffs in the obv fields for my taste and the strike could be sharper.
    Just made it or low end 65's tend to stay in PCGS 64 holders....but you can always try NGC.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    All four coins are in PCGS-65 holders, but #3 (wow!) and #4 are the only ones I agree with.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    If the picture is accurate, the coin should be able to get into a 65 holder, although it may take a couple tries.
  • Options
    I'd say you've got a good chance. Those Heritage coins are awfully strong 65s. Very high end for the grade.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd say you've got a good chance. Those Heritage coins are awfully strong 65s. Very high end for the grade. >>

Are you serious? The first two are maybe 64, than 63 at best. The bottom two may make 65. I dont know how they grade these things. image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a nice coin- submit and see what happens. It is worth a shot

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    If the strike had higher relief, the reverse would go 66 all the way. Obverse would get a 65 but seeing how it's such a bland strike, I'd assume they would take a point off for each side and slab it as MS64. The luster does not have 65 qualities.
    -SpectrumLuster
  • Options

<< <i>If the strike had higher relief, the reverse would go 66 all the way. Obverse would get a 65 but seeing how it's such a bland strike, I'd assume they would take a point off for each side and slab it as MS64. The luster does not have 65 qualities. >>

Don't most "O" mintmark dollars have this weak strike?

• Options
    Many of them are weakly struck; that's why they don't grade higher than 64. But decently and well-struck O-mint Morgans are out there.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has a 64 look to it IMHOimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

I'm thinking 64 with 65 just too strong
  • Options
    are you sure it is not 1890 with added "o"
  • Options
    By the way, your first PCGS MS65 photo is a VAM 10 "Comet" variety. That's a Top 100 coin. MS65 is currently the finest known, too (pop 5/0).
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
    Really nice 64 64+ IMO slight chance at 65
    Nice Morgan

AL
  • Options
    Update---

I had it graded by ICCS and currently it's graded as an ms64, but quite often ICCS is conservative with US MS coins.

Anyways, have another go at this one because I just may send it to PCGS for a chance at an ms65, but if the majority thinks it's still a 64, then it'll stay in the ICCS holder.

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    I think it has a good shot at 65, at least judging by some of those other 65 PCGS examples you included. I must say that the field clarity is very consistent with a 65 grade as well.

90-O is a very tough date to find with even a decent strike, and even with as weak as the strike of your example may be, it is a still better than average.

So, IMHO, the coin is worth submitting. At this point, I'd say it's 60% chance at MS64, 40% chance at MS65. Or maybe they'll slap it with a "plus" grade... who knows! Just submit the darn thing!
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file