Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

So PCGS, with the new Cherrypicker's volume coming out...

How soon will the new listings in the Cherrypicker's Guide be recognized by PCGS? I'll be at Baltimore on 11/17/11, and have it under "good authority" that some coins I own just might become recognized. If the new volume is out on 11/15/11 and on sale at the show, will PCGS recognize those new coins listed? Honestly, my real motive is that I prefer to deliver them in person as opposed to sending them via USPS.

Or, will we have to wait for PCGS to assign new numbers sometime downstream - let alone add them to the specific registry sets at some point? Should I cart these coins along to the show or not? I suspect these questions are on the minds of numerous members.

What's the word big Donny W.?

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well we all have heard of the update FOR YEARS!! So lets first get the @#$%^&* book out. As far as adding, well again, numerous sites have made wink wink statements of coins to soon be added and to get ready. Frankly, PCGS needs to drop a few IMHO before they add any in the LC series. But just like before I expect PCGS to work in mysterious ways. The delisting or inclusions of cents has been unannounced and a few at a time. So I think your going to be waiting a while, either way.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Just my two cents worth.

If the fifth edition of volume II actually is available to the public this month or next, I think it would be fair if PCGS made changes in the Registry set(s) starting July 1st when the new competitive year starts.

My dad helped Mr. Potter with the series we collect in the new edition of the Cherrypickers’ Guide so I know what is going to be added and this is/was an unfair advantage. But if PCGS waits six months after the book is out before they make changes then the playing field would be more equal and everyone would have time trying to find the new varieties.

Also by waiting the six months, PCGS would have time to evaluate if the variety is worthy of inclusion instead of removing it later on.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completely disagree with Caleb! Put them in as soon as the book is out, so we can start looking for the ones we need.

And delisting should NOT ever be done......completely unfair to those who found the variety then paid good money to have it attributed! Decide before it's put in.....once in it should STAY in!!!

Edited to add I think ALL the new varieties shout be added. There should be no deciding to it. If it's a variety put it in the sets. PLEASE!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the OP, the book will probably not make it into the hands of those that desire it most by 11/17. Leave those toys at home. PCGS will likely take a bit of time to consider each addition if they add them at all. This will not likely be an overnight decision.

As far as what Dimeman has said - By having the Registry here at PCGS, PCGS contributes heavily to the "MAKING OF THE MARKET" for some of these coins. Once a coin is added to the Registry Set it is in OUR view that it should NOT be removed. We do not want people to spend their time and hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a coin just so that the value of the coin can plummet overnight when a variety is removed from the registry. That is just wrong and it HAS happened!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our Host have failed a wonderful opportunity numerous times by adding what them want, when they want and delete what they want, based on their "expert opinion" I would much rather see a group of "experts" making the decisions with a notification sent to explain, why or why not, certain coins are coming or going. Even those who have a number one set in the given series could be thrown a bone to be "members" of a decision making body. But I can tell you it will NEVER happen. Just look at the Satin Fiasco, even letters written, were never responded to. Hundreds of comments on the forums, never once address. They have had a very hard time dealing with the entire variety concept. They were the LAST TPG to even attribute them, and then, did it wrong and THEN charge us an attribution fee each time to resubmit the coins to get the labels correct! So don't hold your breath on this one as I am sure another disappointment is just around the corner...

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    First off, PCGS has already stated that they will grade and attribute ANY coin thats in the CPG.

Second off, coin numbers aren't usually generated for the new varieties until someone actually submits them.

Thirdly, for coins that are NOT currently in a complete variety registry set you can ask that the coin/variety be put into the registry using the the link thats provided (I can;t find it but then I'm not adding any coins) as long as the coin fits the definition of the set. I've used this in the past to add presidential dollar varieties.

My plan is that as soon as I have the CPG in my hands, I'll build a submission and just leave the coin number blank. Than off it goes.

I wonder how many "new" IKE's will be recognized along with how many "new" Kennedy's?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I completely disagree with Caleb! Put them in as soon as the book is out, so we can start looking for the ones we need.

And delisting should NOT ever be done......completely unfair to those who found the variety then paid good money to have it attributed! Decide before it's put in.....once in it should STAY in!!!

Edited to add I think ALL the new varieties shout be added. There should be no deciding to it. If it's a variety put it in the sets. PLEASE! >>

Sorry but just because a certain variety is listed in the Cherrypickers’ Guide, that is no reason by itself to include it in a competitive set. And it is just foolishness to think otherwise.

For a competitive set, a line needs to be drawn as to what makes the cut. Just to mention a few examples that made it into the Cherrypickers’ Guide or at least the fourth edition of volume II:
    1. The 1896-o (micro O) FS-004 Morgan Dollar
    2. The 1900-o (micro O) FS-005 Morgan Dollar
    3. The 1902-o (micro O) FS-003 Morgan Dollar

Examples 1 – 3 are listed in the Cherrypickers’ Guide and known to have been made with counterfeit dies, so should we be required to collect couterfeits?

Also, another point of view to consider, if a variety has been deemed “too minor to list” by let us say CONECA and the author(s) / editor(s) / publisher(s) of the Cherypickers’ Guide knowing this still added said coin to their listings, should serious thought be given to omit said coin from a competitive set or should it be added just because it is listed in the pages of the Cherrypickers’ Guide?

<< <i>I wonder how many "new" IKE's will be recognized along with how many "new" Kennedy's? >>

4 and 13 image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First off, PCGS has already stated that they will grade and attribute ANY coin thats in the CPG.

Second off, coin numbers aren't usually generated for the new varieties until someone actually submits them.

Thirdly, for coins that are NOT currently in a complete variety registry set you can ask that the coin/variety be put into the registry using the the link thats provided (I can;t find it but then I'm not adding any coins) as long as the coin fits the definition of the set. I've used this in the past to add presidential dollar varieties.

My plan is that as soon as I have the CPG in my hands, I'll build a submission and just leave the coin number blank. Than off it goes.

I wonder how many "new" IKE's will be recognized along with how many "new" Kennedy's? >>

I found the link.

It's the "Report a cert that should match this composite" link that is on your set page along with the "What if" function. I used it in the past to get "new" edge varieties added to the Sacagawea Set.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just sitting by waiting to see what I need.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do agree with caleb on the Morgan micro "o's". They shouldn't even be in the CPG. I don't understand that!